1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'05 Prius won't completely power up, but won't turn off

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ojai Gal, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Ojai Gal

Ojai Gal New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My '05 Prius with 148K miles has recently lost its mind and won't completely power up, but then also won't turn off. This has happened twice now within a period of about a month. I always use the smart key function instead of inserting the key. Both times when this has happened, my husband inserted the key and after pushing the power button a lot , it eventually turned off. When we start it back up, it's fine. I do get the big red exclamation point (and also the icon for the emergency brake being on, but it's not). Maybe one or two other usual symbols. It sounds like maybe just the electric motor is on, but not the gas. I took it to a local shop (not the dealer) and they checked the 12 v. battery and said it was fine. One of my key fobs is in bad shape, but I usually use the good one and both have pretty new batteries. The manual makes it sounds like an anti-theft thing. Anyone have any ideas?

2. Joe 26

Joe 26 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    First, to shut the car off, hold in the power button for longer than 3 seconds. As to the problem of it not shutting off, it sounds like the combination meter is faulty. I'm sure others will chime in about whether the part would be covered under a recall or how to get it repaired.

xpcman likes this.
  3. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There is a onboard test you can run on the 12 volt. I would do that rather than trust the test the other guy ran. No offense, but sometimes the tests run by mechanic's show the battery is good, but in a Prius you really need one that is not low on voltage. If you are seeing the red triangle momentarily when you power up, that is another indicator that the 12 volt is failing. Note I said momentarily (a few seconds)

Look in my signature file and click on the link that says test the 12 volt. Run the test after the Prius has set overnight and please post back all three readings.

I also agree it sounds like you might be having issues with the combination meter, but before I looked at that aspect I would test the 12 volt first. Easy test you can do on your own.

4. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    12v, unless yours is new,AgM and in good shape, that's what happens to me when. The 12 v is deded

dorunron likes this.
  5. Ojai Gal

Ojai Gal New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you!

6. Ojai Gal

Ojai Gal New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks. We'll try that test today.

7. Ojai Gal

Ojai Gal New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That was the problem. Many thanks!

8. Ojai Gal

Ojai Gal New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It was the 12 v, as you suspected. Thanks!

9. Janstheman

Janstheman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My '04 did something similar, it would start and power up but would not get past the bulb check. After the bulb check, the MFD would have a mind of its own ( No avg. MPG or distance traveled). Had new battery installed, everything is back to normal. My mileage has improved also, my theory is that the charge circuit is always "ON" so it used more fuel to do it. Its just a theory, still love to drive this car almost ten years after purchasing it new. Plus, we got two more hybrids, '10 TCH and a '13 TCH. Nothing rides like a Camry, its a Prius Limo!