1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

05 Prius won't start. No dash lights, doors won't lock, no headlights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Magnus_Air, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Magnus_Air

Magnus_Air New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So this morning I walked out to my car to drive my wife to work.
    When I depressed the brake and pressed the power button, the car did not turn over but all the dash lights and headlights turned on.
    The red triangle warning light turned on and stayed on, along with the check engine light.
    I turned the car off, waited a few seconds, and then tried to turn the car on again. Only light that came on was the check engine light.
    I turned the car off again, and then walked the wife to work. About 2 hours later I went back and tried once again. Now the car is totally dead. No headlights, dash lights, reading lights, car won't lock.

I tried to jump the car with the help of the neighbor, hooked up the cables, she let her car idle for about 5 minutes, then tried to start the car once again. Still nothing.

I have no idea what to do or what is even wrong. When I called the dealership they said it could literally be anything.

2. prius_deep

prius_deep Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    bisco will be along to ask you '...how many miles on her..'

3. Magnus_Air

Magnus_Air New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My first question is do you have a multimeter?

Is there a small flashing red light on the dashboard that cycles every few seconds? If not, then it's very likely you have a 12v issue.

Pop the hood and check for 12v between the underhood jump point (in upper left corner of the fuse box) and the car chassis. No 12v means your battery in the trunk is DOA, or there is a problem between the battery and the fuse box. The positive terminal of the battery is directly wired to that jump point.

If you tried to jump the car using the jump point, but nothing powered up, it's possible you were not making good contact. Using that jump point can be a bit tricky sometimes.

Remember, the 12v merely powers up the electronics, it's the HV battery that spins the engine. Any 12v at the jump point should be able to boot the ECUs.

I would suggest that the possibility exists that the AM2 fuse popped, which kills pretty much everything on the dash and MFD, but you said all the dash lights initially worked. Dash lights working=not the AM2 fuse.

#4 TMR-JWAP, Apr 18, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    jerrymildred likes this.
  5. Magnus_Air

Magnus_Air New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No I do not own a multi-meter.
    No flashing light, no lights at all.

I tried jumping the battery using the connections attached to the fuse box, it's possible that I didn't get a good charge due to my neighbor having those terrible cables with the long teeth on the front that make it hard to fit into the fusebox casing, but I don't know.

But if you said that the HV battery starts the engine, would the 12v being dead prevent the car from starting? Because I have no engine power ether.

6. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes, the 12v battery is used to 'turn on the car'. When the car is ready to start the engine, it uses the HV Battery to spin the transaxle (basically) which also spins the engine to start it. A dead 12v system in your car would be like trying to use your computer without turning it on first.

And yes yes yes, those jumper cables stink for attaching to the jump point.

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your 12V battery is dead...buy and install a new 12V battery.

Stevewoods likes this.