1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

05 Project, Need Help Getting Off the Ground

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by born2pdl, Oct 29, 2010.

1. born2pdl

born2pdl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Prius rookie here, I've searched around for some of this info. Just bought a collision damaged 05 prius from an insurance auction (for too much $, 95k miles, dinged RR quarter, door, wheel, curtain airbag deployed). It sat in limbo for months and they lost the smart key. It does have the cut key.

1- I've removed the 12V battery, slow charged it (now at ~13.2V and passes load test), re-installed it, connected the + & - but I get no signs of electrical life at all (no horn, no dome lights). Did I miss something simple on the battery hook-up, or are their other possible suspects (main fuse or breaker, collision shut-off switch, other).

2- I have it on the trailer for a trip to the dealer for a new smart key (they quoted $240 for key and programming).

Will be driveable once the electrical is sorted out and the smart key is done. Then I'll decide whether to repair or replace the quarter sheet metal. Let me know if you have ideas for me. Thanks.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You clearly have a fuse problem, given no signs of electrical life. I suggest that you use a voltmeter to see where the problem is. For example, the 120A MAIN fuse is located immediately adjacent to the 12V battery positive terminal. If that is good, then open up the main relay/fuse box cover (located next to the inverter) and see whether you have 12V at the dedicated positive jump start terminal (which is covered by the red plastic cover.) Keep at it until you figure out where the 12V no longer is present.

I also recommend that you download the electrical wiring diagram, at techinfo.toyota.com

Good luck.

3. born2pdl

born2pdl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes it's the 120A main fuse. It's missing. Having never seen this hardware before, I didn't know anyting was wrong.

I need to buy a replacement 120A fuse. I don't even know what to look for at the parts store. Does anyone have a photo of this fuse?

4. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't have a photo. It probably would be easiest for you to buy this fuse from your local Toyota dealer.

I am wondering whether the fuse was removed because the car's wiring has a short elsewhere.

5. koolingit

koolingit Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I'm not sure this helps, but here's a picture of the fuse.

Warning: the fuse doesn't just snap into place. There are bolts (above and below) that clamp down on the legs of the fuse. You have to completly dissassemble the fuse block to get at the bolts. From the point of view of the picture, a cover slides away from the back (after one or two barbs bent out of the way). Flaps on the top and bottom swing up and down to expose 10mm bolts. I circled the hinges these flaps swing on.

Before you go to all the trouble of removing the fuse block etc., pop the red cover off the positive terminal and check for 12 volts on the terminal that i highlighted but did not label. There will be a wire plugged into the terminal; just take it off put the positive lead of a volt meter on the terminal and the negative lead on ground. If the terminal is live, the fuse is good. If it's 0 volts, continue with the dissassembly, bring the fuse block to toyota and tell the guy you want the fuse that goes 'here!'

Attached Files:

6. koolingit

koolingit Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Wow Patrick,

I started to reply before you did but never uploaded a picture before!

I am slow.

7. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nice photo. I'd like to hear the story behind why that picture was taken - did you have an electrical problem with the 12V system?

8. koolingit

koolingit Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Thanks -- I took about 20 pictures of the positive battery terminal/fuse block last winter when I took the battery into the house to charge it. I was amazed at the complexity of the parts that went into it -- especially the plastic! I just wanted to have every possible view of it because I'm thinking of getting the elearnaid battery.

When I first got the prius, I had the bad habbit of playing the radio without having the car in ready mode while I cleaned the glass or waxed the car. When I learned this was not a good thing to do, I checked the battery and found it to be at around 12.2 volts. Charging for a day and a half didn't help. It's still at 12.2 but isn't getting any worse. Needless to say, I don't listen to the radio any more without being in ready mode.

9. born2pdl

born2pdl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks, you guys were right on the money about the main fuse and the photo helped a lot. I'm sure the first body shop that evaluated the car removed it, likely not familiar with hybrids and didn't want to trigger a melt-down. It's a standard fuse size at the parts store. Lights and horn work, ready to take to dealer tomorrow for smart key.

Though I've read around quite a bit about the car, I'm sure I'll have follow-up questions. Probably do the EV mod that activates though the highbeam lever soon.

10. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I hope that this is true (and that the car doesn't have other electrical problems.) I guess you'll find out tomorrow. Good luck.