1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

05 toyota prius - Lost power on interstate

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by crg31, Nov 1, 2010.

1. crg31

crg31 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So am i the only 200,000 miles prius owner on here?
    I have an 05, purchased with 44 miles on it. I now have 218k miles. All ive replaced was an o2 sensor and a few other minor things. But it died last thursday, had it towed to my house, still dont know the extent of the issues. I had the following codes P1116, P1121, P3193. I was driving on the interstate and all the warning lights came on and i lost power as i got over. Jumps would only allow me to turn my lights on and dashboard, but the engine doesn't start. Anyone have any ideas? Anyone have an idea the extent of this issue and what it cost to fix?

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    P3193 means you ran out of gas. Is it what happened?

1 person likes this.
  3. Smalltownguy22

Smalltownguy22 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Lol I needed that.

4. PoutyPrius

PoutyPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That's kind of what happened to me when my 12v died 30 months ago. Was towed to dealer, dealer said the 12v died and replaced it. I still don't know how the failure of the 12v could have caused it, but hey, she's a-special. Good luck.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Any warning lights on, prior to losing power (especially the check engine light?)

2. What is the reading on your fuel gauge? DTC P3193 does point to an out-of-fuel problem. If the car is still at your home, the first thing to do is add a couple of gallons to the tank, then disconnect the 12V battery negative terminal for 5 minutes to allow the fuel gauge system to reset (otherwise, the car probably will not realize that you have added fuel and will refuse to try to start.) Then reconnect the cable and see if you can start the car.

3. DTC P1116 and P1121 both point to a problem with the coolant heat recovery system. However this would not cause the engine to fail while driving. It is likely that the valve in that system needs to be replaced, and the temperature sensor located near the CHRS canister also may need to be changed out.