1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'05 vs. '06

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kissell, Jul 16, 2006.

1. kissell

kissell New Member

Newbie here.
    I am comparing a used '05 (Package 6) to a new '06 (Package 7 or 8). Does anyome know if the '05 has the IPOD plug in? Also, is the voice recognition feature on the '05?

And are there any other features on the '06 taht werent avaialable for the '05?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Lil Mo

Lil Mo New Member

Regarding the iPod (or aux input), you should check the car and the stereo. On the '06, the aux input is in the center console.

I think the aux input was introduced in the '06; however, someone mentioned that their '05, had it. Hopefully, someone on PC will comment on that.

The voice commands are available on some of the '05 packages. It is a pretty cool feature.

Good luck, :)

3. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi kissell,

The '05 does not have an iPod input; I'm pretty sure that the person that Lil Mo was thinking about saying they have an input in their '05 was wrong and they actually had an '06. Anyway, that was a feature introduced in the '06 model year.

Voice commands work on both '05 and '06 cars, but ONLY those packages with the NAV built in.

I should also say that the Prius holds its value pretty well, so you usually don't end up saving that much by buying a used '05 vs a new '06. ALSO, there is a significant tax break ($3150 if you buy by the end of September and assuming you're not subject to the AMT on your taxes) for buying a new car, so that's another reason to seriously consider the new car.

Ah yes. As far as added features, the '06 adds a back-up camera and the ability of the stereo to play MP3 CDs, among other things.

4. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    A few changes between the '05 and the '06 (not a complete list):
    • The design of the headlights and radiator grille changed slightly
    • New front spoiler at the front, bottom of the car (very minor addition)
    • The design of the rear combination lights has been changed (very minor)
    • Some of the colors changed slightly
    • Some subtle changes to the interior, including the addition of "soft pads" and a wider rear seats (11.4 in. to 13.4 in.)
    • Tire Pressure Warning System added
    • Aux audio plugin
    • Changes to the EVAP (evaporative emission) system
    • Reinforcing and sound-dampening material added, including acoustic film as the inner layer of the laminated front windshield glass
    • They rearranged/added some items on the combination meter
    • Various function enhancements to nav system and the MFD, now with 32,000 colors, and a backup camera
    • Changes to the SRS airbag system, but I can't figure out what they changed - the "new features" guide goes into great detail about the Occupant Classification ECU.
    As you can see, they added a few new "big" features like the auxilary audio plugin, the rear camera, and the tire pressure monitoring system, but most of the changes were very minor things (well, minor to the average consumer like me).

5. Jennjay

Jennjay Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have an 05 Pkg 6 and an 06 Pkg 7. The cars really drive about the same. The backup camera is nice on the 06, but I can't say I use it alot ( you still need to turn around). The ipod integration is nice, too, on 06 but 05 has cassette player and we use an adapter which provides good sound.

The big question is can you get the 05 at enough of a savings to make up for the tax credit and the extra year deprciation. Probably not. If you can, get 05, if not go with new 06.

6. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah, I remember doing research on the Prius before I bought it and making the comment, "A cassette player -- that's odd." One would not think such an antiquated piece of technology would exist in such a forward-looking car.

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon @ Jul 16 2006, 08:59 PM) [snapback]287354[/snapback]</div>
    You can get cassette adapters to play the iPod. There are other workarounds for the iPod too.

But the '06 is much more integrated so if that's important, that would be the way to go.

I've checked prices of used Prii just out of curiosity and I can't see the savings for mileage and depreciation offsetting the tax credit for a new '06. If you can afford one and there is one available, I'd say go with that.

8. Manksgloob

Manksgloob Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would just like to say that the front underside spoiler is rather annoying at times.
    There have been made driveways and parking lots/curbs that I've scraped it on, only to cause tears in my eyes when I've found out what I've done to my poor baby.
    (I suppose that's what's it there for though. Scraping the unpainted spoiler rather than the actual body.)

9. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    A tiny advantage to the '05 over the '06 (and this is tiny) is that there's a software hack to allow you (or rather your passenger) to enter information in the NAV system while the Prius is in motion. There may be one for the '06, but it hasn't been found yet. Of course, there's a couple of wires you can cut (and install switches) with will do the job.

There's also a CAN-VIEW system that will show a lot of data on the '05, but won't work on the '06. This is due to the fact that the graphics of the '06 are much better.

There's the tax credit on the '06 that's pretty good too, but time's running out on that.

10. kissell

kissell New Member

Thanks to all for all the info.

My challenge is this:
    I can get the used today with the HOV badges (which are critical for my commute) and real low miles.

I am on the waiting list for a new one, but all I have been offered are not the colors or option packages that I want, and I fear that by the time I get the new car, get plates, and submit my HOV request, I will have missed to boat.

I am leaning toward the used '05, but hate losing the tax credit.

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kissell @ Jul 16 2006, 08:51 PM) [snapback]287398[/snapback]</div>
    Do keep in mind that the the CA HOV stickers expire on 1/1/08 unless the law is extended to make them valid for longer. See http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/decal.htm.

Ask yourself if it's worth forgoing the $3150 tax credit just for the stickers.

I'd personally give the dealer more package and color choices to increase the odds that what they've got coming in at sorta matches what you want. Also, try putting yourself on waitlists at several dealers.

12. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    California gets a lot of Prii. If you open up your search farther, you should be able to find a car in the color and package you want and sooner than later. The Tax credit is good until September. If you want the HOV faster, as soon as you've bought the car, go online at the DMV and buy a personalized license plate and pay for it online with a credit car. When that's processed, then order the HOV stickers with the personalized plate and your VIN number. You might even get the stickers before the plate arrives.

While HOV stickers are only good until 2008, there is the possibility they may be extended.

You your computer to contact the internet managers in all of the dealers within a X00 mile radius of your house, give them the color and package and tell them first to offer one at MSRP wins.