1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

06 A/C almost stops working after 2 hours of hwy driving

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jm98, May 27, 2017.

1. jm98

jm98 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Good Summer driving all,

Just took six hours drive in 90+ degree weather on my 06 with 220K. The A/C seems to stop working after couple hours of non-stop driving at highway speed 60-75 MPH in hot weather. When problem occurs, I can feel very low speed A/C blowing from vents even when I have fan speed at high speed between M-Full bars. When I switch to fan only mode the fan start blowing at normal speed after couple minutes or so. As a workaround I have to shut A/C off in hot summer drive for 30 minutes or so before A/C starts working for sometime and stops blowing at regular speed. I have to repeat A/C off cycle again.

I am sure Prius can handle long drives in hot summer but not sure what's issue here...

2. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You definitely should check that the inverter coolant pump is working properly and that the fluid is in good condition and the correct level.

I'm pretty sure that one of the symptoms of an overheating inverter is that the aircon stops working properly (as it tries to minimize the HV load).

See for example: https://priuschat.com/threads/maintenance-and-repair-in-anchorage-ak.95561/#post-1350985

#2 uart, May 28, 2017
    Last edited: May 28, 2017
    SFO and valde3 like this.
  3. jm98

jm98 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thanks Uart, It seems from a youtube video that this inverter coolant pump was under extended warranty until 2013 for 2004-2007 models. Is this still a case or I may have to foot the bill here for replacement?

#3 jm98, May 29, 2017
    Last edited: May 30, 2017
  4. franken1313

franken1313 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've changed the pumps on my prius and I still have a similar problem. I'm pretty sure my problem is air in the coolant system. Did you recently change your coolant?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your description of the issue is completely in keeping with either moisture in the AC system (less likely) or evaporator freeze-up (most likely). The loss of air volume COMBINED with the fact that turning the system off causing it to work normally after some time is highly suggestive of evaporator frosting.

When the evap frosts over, airflow is limited and the process accelerates. Because the AC compressor runs based off AC system temperature, not interior temperature, the compressor cycles off. when you turn the system off, the ice melts, the AC system warms up and the airflow returns.

This is NOT a DIY fix, but one best left to experienced AC technicians familiar with hybrids.

6. franken1313

franken1313 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So it's an AC problem? I get coolant codes and then I loose the AC or I loose the AC and I know I'm about to get the triangle and warning lights

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

7. jm98

jm98 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
  8. jm98

jm98 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I took my Prius to dealer for oil change. They did checkup on A/C, found evaporator core leak and needs to be replaced for $27xx.

9. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That does not make ANY sense......

If the Evap were LEAKING, it would be very low on charge. However, repeated freezing of the evap *can* cause the seams to split, but again a significant AC leak. When the AC (actually refrigerant) leaks the system shuts down and will not operate again until the system is recharged enough to activate the pressure switch (or sensor).

What I mean is, normally if you have a large enough leak to FIND and the system works, someone has been adding refrigerant to a leaking system. You did not describe that, so I think they may have jumped to conclusions????

Montgomery likes this.