1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'06 Battery Replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by TheParadox66b, Jun 5, 2006.

1. I have been looking around and saw some posts of replacing the aux battery in the 00 - 03's but nothing really after that?

has anyone changed an 06 battery for some higher Ah or CA/CCA? Can you do the miata battery "Mod" with an 06?

What are the dimentions on an 06' aux battery

2. Brian K

Brian K New Member

Why do you need cold cranking amps in a car that doesn't require cold cranking? A deep cycle battery is more along the lines of what the Prius requires.

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I can can see a use for a larger battery if you wanted to run the radio in the ACC position longer than you could with the original battery.

4. Brian K

Brian K New Member

True, but cca wouldn't be what one would be looking for. That's a starter battery and they absolutely don't tolerate being drawn down, at least not if one is expecting a reasonable life from the battery. A higher amperage deep cycle would be the way to go for that.

Anyway, doesn't the charger work to recharge the 12v battery if acc mode is chosen? I don't know, I'm asking. If it does, then it's meaningless.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No. That's why in ACC mode, the car shuts itself off after 1 hr. I think someone here mentioned that the 12V would last in ACC mode with the radio cranked about 2-3 hours.

6. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yes, there was a discussion about using a Prius to go to a drive-in, where they use FM to send the audio. You could have the radio on (with the MFD off) or you could stay in the "Ready" mode.

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    want a good battery? smack down some bucks for an optima.

8. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yeah, but *which* optima, that will fit in the hole and present
    the same "pencil posts" to the stock lugs? I was just looking into
    this last night but couldn't quite determine which one might be
    the closest match...
    _H*

9. <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Jun 6 2006, 02:11 AM) [snapback]266533[/snapback]</div>
    hob -

Please please please let me know which one you get and how close it comes if you replace, or how much you had to mod you car/battery area. thanks

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Brian K @ Jun 5 2006, 07:59 PM) [snapback]266324[/snapback]</div>
    brian -

You are absolutely correct, having a higher CCA gives me no advantage... but i do want something higher Ah Rating, which i guess i got my terms mixed up, i just kinda assumed higher cc/cca means higher Amp Hours.

I don't think the 12v aux batt gets recharged in ACC Mode, that would make the aux batt kinda silly, maybe toyota put it there as kinda a backup or something to jump the car on :blink: ???

10. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    optima does make 12v batteries- they were designed for hondas originally. they are group 51 and group 51R- don't recall which is the correct one. the only difference is that the + and - terminals are reversed on one of them.

the battery is small enough to fit into the area. it may be taller- and if that's the case the existing setup may not hold it. then you'd have to change the holddown bracket bar and maybe extend the post that it screws down to.

11. <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jun 7 2006, 12:16 AM) [snapback]267087[/snapback]</div>
    ...you are correct, the dimenions fit, pretty well, i'll have to recheck to be sure

12. c4

c4 Active Member

The Honda battery is about 1/2" taller and about 1-1/4" longer than the Prius battery, but it does fit into the space provided with minor modifications and it uses North American standard posts, so you will either have to modify the posts or simply but different terminal clamps (I bought a new ground wire/clamp that was a bolt-in replacement- unbolt original ground clamp/wire, bolt new one in; for the positive, I bought a "marine" terminal clamp (the type that un-bolts from a cable lug), and simply swapped the postive clamp, again, another bolt-in replacement).. I also thought about using appropriate sizes of those woodworking plug cutter bits to trim the bettery terminals down to the correct size, but the replacement terminals were much less work.