1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'06 Headlight adjustment knob

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by aka007ii, Dec 11, 2005.

1. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

I noticed a second button blank on the '06 dash photos. I just found what it's for. It looks like it offers 3 height levels for the HID. I wonder if it's standard on US or just for Japan.

[Broken External Image]:http://toyota.jp/prius/safety/active/image/03-p06.jpg

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

that'd never make it past the NTSB, what have people adjusting their own headlights. Nope that'll only be in Japan.

3. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think that feature was an option on some Siennas, usually if you have the tow package as your "rear" gets pushed down.

4. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

The Prius with HID headlights has a levelling sensor that knows whether your rear gets pushed down by a big load in the hatch. It automatically adjusts the level of the headlights to match. So moving back to a manual switch would be backwards.

In Europe I've heard that headlight levelling switches are common; the idea is to have some levels that are a compromise between "High" and "Low". This would never fly in litigious America because some idiot would blind oncoming traffic and sue the carmaker when they crash.

I'm confident this won't be on the American version.

5. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    In most of the world, thanks to UNECE Regulations, headlight levelling control is compulsory. It can be either automatic or manual, but cars with intense lights (such as HIDs) must have it automatic.

With a manual control, the default aim (0) is appropriate for an unladen car with a driver. You need to turn it up when you've got rear passengers and/or heavy stuff in the back. The control does not allow you to aim higher than that default.

The Prius has manual control thumbwheel in steps from 0 to 5. HIDs are not offered in the rest of the world because the car doesn't have headlamp washers - these are compulsory for lights that bright according to UNECE.

Presumably in the US there's no requirement to have any sort of headlamp levelling at all? But then you don't usually have proper cut-off dipped beams either, so it's less critical.

6. bbianchi

bbianchi New Member

I did not see this knob in my 06 PGK 8, HOWEVER my Mazda 3 did have one...

7. Technogeek

Technogeek New Member

My wife's 2005 Sienna has factory HID headlights and there is a dial on the dash to tune the level.