1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

06 MP3/WMA into 05 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by deltonag8r, Jun 20, 2009.

1. deltonag8r

deltonag8r New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Newbie Here,

I just purchased an 05 Prius with JBL w/o Navi. Wish to know if an oem 06 MP3/WMA CD player will work in the 05. Found one on Ebay for $75. Pretty sure that it will physically go in. Unsure about wiring, etc? Thanks for any help you can give.

2. josh2008

josh2008 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I came here to post the exact same question, will pay attention to this. :typing:

3. Oneaxepony

Oneaxepony Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    A radio from an 06 should work in 06 thru 09 models assuming its replacing the same radio. I dont think a non-JBL 06 can replace a JBL radio in 06 thru 09 - you have to replace it with a JBL. So there are really two issues here. Will an 06 radio work in an 05? And will a non-JBL radio (assuming that's what the 06 is) work in place of a JBL unit? I have never heard of an 06 radio working in an 05 and I dont think a non-JBL radio will work in a JBL Prius. But I cannot say this definitively - it is just educated speculation on my part.

4. deltonag8r

deltonag8r New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks.

The 08 replacement on Ebay is also a JBL. I spoke to 2 techs at the Toyota Dealership and they said that they think it will work but wouldn't give me a definite yes. They said to go ahead and get the replacement because it is such a good deal that if it doesn't work I would be able to sell it with little or no loss. I hope this helps.

5. Oneaxepony

Oneaxepony Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Please let us know how it works out. Good luck!

6. esoterikest

esoterikest New Member

I am attempting the exact thing - replacing 2005 base radio 51807 with 51824 - How did this turn out?

7. BillW

BillW Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    JBL units have an external amplifier, non-JBL units have amplifier built in the radio head unit. Main thing you will have to overcome is bypassing the factory amp wired into the audio harness if you run an amplified signal to it. Plugs at back of radio should be the same but you've got more work cut out for you. Not plug and play.