1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

06 Prius - battery work (drained battery)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dominicsavio, Feb 9, 2009.

1. dominicsavio

dominicsavio New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Over the weekend, I accidently left my interior light ON - and by Monday my battery (to start) the car was dead. I've read through relevant posts here - very helpful - and am wondering whether I should jump the car from my other (conventional) car (kind of nervous)

1) Any link/suggestions for step by step instructions on this?
    2) Any way I can set the interior lights so that they auto-turn-off (some folks have written about their lights turning off after 40 min but I'm not sure mine would have this feature)
    3) How long would I have to drive to recharge this starter battery and is it permanently damaged? covered by my extended 7-yr warranty?
    4) People talk about *always* locking the car - any specific reason for this (other than the obvious to prevent theft)?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. The main concern is to be certain that you are connecting the positive battery terminal of the donor vehicle to the positive terminal of the Prius. Same goes for the negative terminals. The positive terminal of the donor battery will be marked + and usually a red-colored cable runs to that. The negative terminal will be marked - and usually a black-colored cable runs to that. That negative black cable will connect to the car's body.

You can either jump to the main relay/fuse box in the Prius or else directly jump to the battery in the hatch area. Consult your owner's manual for details.

2. No

3. I suggest you leave the car READY for several hours, its not necessary to actually drive the car unless you want to go somewhere. After you've charged it up for that period, then you can see whether the battery will hold a charge or not. The battery should be covered by the 3 year/36K mile warranty, I doubt it is covered by the extended warranty but you can check the T&C of your contract.

4. The reason for locking the Prius is that in the event that a door or hatch is left ajar, the car will make a distinctive beep sound that alerts you to that problem, and will refuse to lock.

3. dominicsavio

dominicsavio New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks - good to know. Additionally, why can you not push the car in neutral to jump-start (as in other conventional cars)?

4. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think your question is why Prius cannot be shifted into N when there is no 12V power.

The answer is because the gear selector is electronic, not mechanical. If the car cannot be powered up, then it will sit in P which was the gear position selected when the car was last made IG-OFF.

5. dominicsavio

dominicsavio New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Good point but just one final Q. I went through the manual. It says that the booster battery must be 12 V (to jump the Prius battery). My other car is an old '94 infiniti sedan - any guesses what this battery might be? I want to be double sure before I do anything...

6. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since around the 1950's, just about all mass-production gasoline powered automobiles have had a 12V negative ground system, so you are good to go - as long as you carefully verify battery polarity before you connect the jump cables.

7. dominicsavio

dominicsavio New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks Patrick. Also, when you say "leave READY for several hours" - what does this mean (I'm guessing the power switch is ON but the car is not in PARK or NEUTRAL)

8. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The car should be powered up as if you were to drive off (READY mode). Leave the car in Park if you are not planning to drive around for a couple of hours. The ICE will cycle to keep the HV battery charged. In turn, the HV battery will charge the 12V battery. Make sure you do not have the car in the garage when doing this. CO will build up when the ICE is running.

9. dominicsavio

dominicsavio New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So I tried to 'jump' the car using the battery of my other car and had an interesting experience. Basically, the first try around, I only managed to get the charge up a little bit (definately not enough to fully start up) so I tried another time. After this time the car went totally dead (no charge comapred to what I had even before I begun) - so I had to call in a professional who did the job in one minute (and charged me pretty $$$)

Here are a few side observations - not sure if it helps explain my experience but I thought I'd post this in case anyone had any words of wisdom (note - I followed the manual and polarity to the last letter):

1) My jumper cable had rather large ends for the Prius terminal such that this end would barely clamp down snugly around the '+' 'screw'
    2) During the jump start, to ensure that I had close contact, I adjusted this + end of the cable on the Prius terminal a few times
    3) Also, while I was adjusting the other terminal to the ground, I did see sparks flying around

Any thoughts?

10. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Attach a metal binder clip or an alligator clip to the positive jump start terminal above the + bolt, then connect your positive jump cable clamp to the binder/(alligator) clip.

2. Should not be needed if you execute #1 above.

3. The negative cable should be clamped to the large nut visible that secures the top of the strut mount (three nuts hold the strut mount, but only one is convenient to use), above the large relay/fuse box. If you have a good connection you should not see any sparking.

If you don't have a good electrical connection, this explains why your jump attempt failed. I hope that you carefully observed the procedure used by the tow truck driver, for future reference - as this probably won't be the last time you need to jump the car.

11. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup. Once most 12V batteries have been drained they are never the same again. Be prepared to replace yours.

12. dominicsavio

dominicsavio New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks Richard and Patrick - much appreciated.

Looks like I better get ready for a new battery - any thoughts here (brand/type/etc)?

Also, richard, in reading battery-related posts I noticed you mentioned in one of them quite firmly the need to doubly-ensure that the car is locked fully. Can you please explan why?(other than the risk for robbery). I think Patrick mentioned something to this effect as well...

13. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the car is not OFF (really, people do this all the time) or if any of the doors or hatch are not completely shut the car will give a long warning beep. If the doors/hatch are ajar their associated lights will not turn themselves off, and that will drain the battery. This has saved my battery twice in five years while parking in my home garage.

If you are willing to spend a few hours and have the necessary hand tools you can replace the battery yourself using an Optima and custom install kit from eLearnaid:
    http://www.elearnaid.com/12vo1topraub.html
    Together they are not any cheaper than getting it replaced at a dealer but judging from the construction the Optima should be a more rugged and longer-lived battery.

14. dominicsavio

dominicsavio New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Richard - thx!

"1. Attach a metal binder clip or an alligator clip to the positive jump start terminal above the + bolt, then connect your positive jump cable clamp to the binder/(alligator) clip.

Patrick - is this clip available at an auto parts store or somethig? Seems like a useful thing to keep

3. The negative cable should be clamped to the large nut visible that secures the top of the strut mount (three nuts hold the strut mount, but only one is convenient to use), above the large relay/fuse box. If you have a good connection you should not see any sparking.

Patrick - I'm still trying to figure out where this nut is - would it be too much for you to post a pic or describe it in bit more detail?

15. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Dominic,

See the right lower corner of the attached photo. I had removed the cowl that runs across the rear of the hood opening prior to taking the photo.

Can you see the three large nuts that hold the top of the LH strut mount, above the main relay/fuse box? The mount is a large black circle, and the three nuts surround it. The nut closest to the front of the vehicle would be a good point to connect your negative jump cable.

You can probably get a metal alligator clip at a electronics hobbyist store, for example Radio Shack. The idea is to get a clip small enough to securely fit on the positive jump terminal, but large enough so that your positive jump cable can easily clamp to it.

Attached Files:

16. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Elsewhere Patrick points out that a dealer battery replacement could easily be less expensive than the eLearnaid solution. And one needs considerable hand strength and several tools to install the Optima kit.

17. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  18. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [my dumbsh!t post deleted]

19. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you read the reason I edited the post?
    I searched some more and found out is was true after all.

20. dominicsavio

dominicsavio New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Patrick - thanks a lot for posting the photo. That is very, very nice of you!! My next task is to get that alligator clip - I have NO idea what it looks likt but will start off at the local Radioshack. If you have a description (what it looks like/price/size etc) - it would give me a good lead start :)

Would you recommend buying the battery from a dealer? After reading all posts about drained batteries, I'm thinking I may eventually end up in this situation. So I'm already being a bit proactive about out :))