1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

06 Prius Brake light, ABS light (!) thrown after -5 temps HELP!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by LezlieS21, Jan 16, 2024.

1. LezlieS21

LezlieS21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Everyone, I hope you all are warm. Yesterday, I was at work while it was -5 temps all day. I went out to my car, hopped in, cranked, and the red Brake light and the ABS light were lit. I was confused because I didn't have my ER brake engaged. I drove it home (1.5 miles away) going 40 mph (light dusting) and engine was fine. I got up to 3* weather and cranked my car and let it run. The lights still were lit. (PS our garage fridge also died (others in neighborhood too). I went to Autozon/Oreilly and neither could read the ABS code. What would be the next move? Would it be best to just find a prius/hybrid mechanic and get them to check it out? Anything I can do from home myself, first? Would it help to check fuses, or something else? PSS anyone know of a reputable mechanic in Colorado off hand?
    NO other lights are on!

2. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Get an OBD2 reader with a good rating on this list:

Hybrid battery diagnostic and repair tool for Toyota and Lexus

Dr. Prius or Torque Pro (with the extra Prius codes loaded) may be able to read your code.

And/or get a miniVCI cable and install one of the hacked virtual machine images of Techstream on a laptop (usually Windows). It is also possible to pay for a day or two of Toyota support which includes a Techstream license, but I don't know if that will work with the miniVCI cable. (Toyota suggests different and very expensive interface devices.)

The garage fridges may have all succumbed to the same power spike, perhaps from a lightning strike. Refrigerators do not work correctly at low temperatures, but that usually just means that they won't run at say 40F, and the freezer compartment melts.

LezlieS21 likes this.
  3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Once the weather is more reasonable, disconnect the 12v battery for a few minutes and let us know how long it takes for ABS and brake light to come back, if at all.

LezlieS21 likes this.
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    But you don't mention that your brakes were doing anything strange so I wouldn't worry about it until the temperature comes up a little bit You obviously live in this place It's not happened before or maybe it has and it stops as soon as the temperature comes up You don't mention that you stepped on the brake and it felt real hard and you had to press extra hard to stop in the same amount of time that you normally would.?! So I'm going to guess everything is seemingly a okay and you're driving just wonderfully so it's kind of out of sight and out of mind except the lights are in your face I'm driving a car that the lights have been on for years pretty uneventful so there's always that I'm not in the cold and I do have a bad break actuator and do not want to spend $1,400 for a new one.

LezlieS21 likes this.
  5. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Most aftermarket scantools are not capable of "talking" to most of the systems on a Gen2 Prius.

Here's a thread that reviews several apps and devices that turn a smartphone into a scantool. Some like Dr Prius, Torque, or Car Scanner are handy but very limited.

Some are capable of scanning all systems for codes, data, and more.

https://priuschat.com/index.php?posts/3290690

ChapmanF might chime in with a link to a method to read "flash codes" from the brake system warning lights.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

LezlieS21 and Brian1954 like this.
  6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Okay, okay, I'll chime in. Am I really the only one around here who remembers we have a wiki page about that?

Blink (a/k/a Flash) Codes – How to. | PriusChat

That's how you can find out what your brake trouble codes are even if you don't have a scan tool that shows them.

My recommendation: do not blindly clear the codes to see how long they take to come back. That's what the air crew were doing with the pressure codes on that plane that blew the door off last week. Find out what your codes are first. Then clear them, if that's what you wanna do.

The idea that "everything is seemingly a okay" just because you can't already feel what a warning code is telling you about would make the whole idea of warnings a whole lot less useful. They'd be like weather ropes.

LezlieS21 likes this.
  7. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No, you're not the only one. I mostly use the PriusChat app on my android phone, and cannot find the Wiki from it. So I don't link it

Even with a standard internet browser, the wiki isn't obvious from the site homepage (it's on the dropdown "menu" tab).

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I put links to it here often enough that if I open a new Firefox tab and type b in the address bar, it's the first autocomplete suggestion.

I used to have to type bli.

9. LezlieS21

LezlieS21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I can feel maybe a smidge difference in pushing. I mean smidge to none.
    Yeah, I just called around to hybrid mechanics and parts and labor is 2600! :(

I agree, I ve been on the phone with 3 places looking for someone who can diagnose it first and then IF It is the actuator getting a price. One quote: 2600! :( so, first will be a diagnosis.

#9 LezlieS21, Jan 17, 2024
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2024
  10. LezlieS21

LezlieS21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you all, I am going tomorrow to get it diagnosed and will report back!

11. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    In this car generally speaking your brake actuator is failing You will not lose all breaking I've been driving a car like this now one for a year and this other one that just started this now for a few months No problems the lights are on oh well. When I get it fixed like my other one all the lights will be off and everything will be back to working fine I'm just trying to avoid the $1,400 for the part so I can wait a little bit till I find one on a junk car.

LezlieS21 likes this.
  12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    "The lights are on" means you've narrowed the problem down to one of a couple hundred things. That's what the trouble codes are for, and that's about how many of them there are.

So in gambling on how safe it is for you to drive your car around that way, or how safe it is for somebody else to drive their car around that way, a lot rides on whether the trouble codes they haven't read in their car are the same ones you have or haven't read in your car.

It is a good move to go to a shop and get a diagnosis, but it bears repeating that even without going to a shop, and even without having a fancy scan tool, the trouble codes can already be read, just by doing this: Blink (a/k/a Flash) Codes – How to. | PriusChat

13. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    But it seems like so far from what I can tell I'm not going to lose brakes I will have some sort of breaking even if the power goes out it looks like I don't think I'm going to get to find that out because the car has power and runs great other than the break actuator and it's hulabaloo of issues. So it looks like Toyota or Toyota's brake people or whatever did it bang up job of making sure that any idiot is going to be able to stop this car especially if they're realizing anything about what's going on in the world around them shouldn't be an issue. I could see a total spaz winding up in the middle of an intersection shrugging your shoulders and smiling but other than that not so much.

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You can read counterexamples here on PriusChat, and in NHTSA incident reports.

Yes, they did their best. Of course they'd do their best. Doing their best partly means making sure the car will tell you when attention is needed.

15. LezlieS21

LezlieS21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Yeah, I am calling around for places for replacement because quoted 2600 from a place who works ONLY on hybrid prius (they have to get the part from dealership) but I was told often these places will end up costing MORE than the dealership due to the upcharge to compensate cost. So, I was given a guys name at a specific toyota dealership here to call (she lost her hybrid mechanic due to retirement). I speak to him at 230 to get a quote on their cost. I will report back the difference. Hell, even $500 less would be great. My 06 only has 68K miles on it. So, its worth caring for because I have 2 teens and it could last them another 60K or more in miles. Prius rarely break, when they do it is pricey, but once fixed, its good for a while.

16. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Well with four sockets two wrenches a ratchet handle and that's it this is only about a two and a half hour job to change the part for most people that aren't really up on this stuff The first time I did it was an easy job was ridiculous other than the fact I had to be there turning the wrenches stupid easy. The part from the dealership is $1,740 if you walk in and order it You can get it down to about 1280 $1,300 if you call and do it all online and pick it up at the store and stay out of the parts guy's face just looking at him cost you $500 or such nonsense so there's always that. At my age now I could get a local kid to do it pay him and instruct them or watch him while he does it if that's a thing because I'm getting old. But other than that silly easy job like changing a tire really or putting the front brakes on Not much to it You can't really mess it up what might hold you up is getting the brakes bled but you'll get them good enough to drive to a shop that has the computer to bleed the brakes which should only cost about $80 it's like a 30 minute job anybody who's telling you and turning this into days worth of work is full of poop.

LezlieS21 likes this.
  17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Still four sockets, two wrenches, a ratchet handle, two and a half hours, and several hundred dollars that you might avoid if you take a moment first to get the trouble codes and it turns out they're telling you something else.

Danno5060 likes this.
  18. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I'm not suggesting not getting the trouble codes I'm just saying before you spend $2,600 maybe give it some thought of course if you fly a desk and live on a telephone maybe rethink that but my daughter can do it will she who knows It's already done for her. I would never tell somebody not to get the codes blink codes some kind of something from the car it's trying to talk to you might as well listen as if it were EF hutton you know.

19. LezlieS21

LezlieS21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah so second quote I received yesterday was $3200. HAHA So, I still have a guy who is a hybrid only mechanic and is charging me only 100 to hook it up and diagnose. Thats half the cost quoted anywhere else. Being in CO everything is more expensive. Good news is I am shopping around first.

I would totally do it myself if I felt more confident. I have worked on all of my cars but they were American cars and not hybrid.

20. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes see that's the first thing everybody says I did all my work on my cars before but this hybrid blah blah blah don't let that get to you this is a Yaris basically with a funky transmission and a battery in the back and there's always that The changing of this brake business is a straightforward bunch of nothingness The bleeding process can make some squirm I've bled all of mine just like you do a regular car and then I got the Toyota software and was able to operate the valve sitting in the seat didn't seem to make much difference with the generation 2 bleeding and installing the part pre-primed and removing the part without letting all the fluid out of everywhere you use some small c clamps just some small bit of thinking and this is like working on your Chevelle SS so there's always that The hybrid doesn't really make a whole lot of difference until you start talking about the electric motors and the generator mating it up to an engine all of that sort of thing The brake device you are changing is similar to what BMWs and Porsches and high-end cars have used since the early '80s and those things cost $5 and $6,000 in those early days when they broke now you get that same kind of business for $1,400 brand new from the Toyota dealer and the newer cars it's even cheaper You can get remanufactured units at mount on the firewall all the brake lines go to it and everything 160 bucks I think that's like 2016 and up Corolla and what have you