1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

06 Prius experience so far

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by gqscientist, Jan 24, 2006.

1. gqscientist

gqscientist New Member

Picked up White/Grey leather #8 on Fri 13th (good luck). Driven 1500 miles already. I am very happy with my choice. JBL sounds great/clear, navi is amazing (need to read book more), rear view camera helps in tight parking, blue tooth is fun (but callers say loud when on freeway), HID lights are great

Very smooth/quiet all around. Average high 40s/low 50s mpg overall.

Problems - cant see front of car, so parking can be tricky. Passenger seat doesnt go back far and leg room is less than driver (my tall friend noticed)

HOV lane - just mailed in my application today (I waited for plates/registration, although seems like many didnt). I have heard 2-6 weeks.

probably going to buy mud flaps to protect the car

funny, many friends are naive to the prius' ability. They ask where do I plug it in. Can I drive it on the freeway or up mountains. Wow, there is lots of space in here. Too funny

The insurance was almost double my wifes 06 Audi A4 quattro, which I was surprised at, but AMEX/Costco still has amazing rates and the best service.

Santa Ana winds have been whirling and i have to grip my steering wheel a little more than normal...haha

VERY HAPPY!!! STILL GIDDY!

Jason

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Jason, Congrats!!! I'm into my second year and still giddy.

Sounds like you have entered into Prius ownership with a very level head. I look forward to reading about your updates and experiences.

Drive Hybrid.
    Drive Happy.

3. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Good for you, Jason.

Suggestion: for a short time, tape a slender piece of dowling, like the stick for a small flag, about 2' long, to the middle of your front bumper, sticking up, for a couple of days (you can remove it if you park somewhere where the car is vulnerable). When you park (you can practice!), you'll end up with an idea of how far your bumper reaches.

For those of you east of Nevada, the so-called Santa Ana winds that occasionally come roaring off the high plateau (Victorville) down through Cajon pass (I-15) into Riverside can be something to behold. I was once driving a '77 VW camper/van down the canyon in a Santa Ana. I felt the wind pushing on the passenger (west) side of the van. I steered into it a little. Next thing I knew the steering wheel was almost ripped from my hand, and by the time I got it under control, we had blown six lanes eastward into the far lane. I was so panic-stricken I pulled over to catch my breath. Never encountered a wind that strong, before or since.

Santa Anas are east winds (toward the ocean) that normally carry warm (sometimes over 100 degrees) air into the L.A. Basin. That's why it can sometimes be 85 in Jan.-Feb. there for a day or two.

4. DaveSheremata

DaveSheremata New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've seen this complaint a lot - and I always wondered how I don't find it a problem. Although I can't see the nose either, I always have my headlights on, for safety's sake. So whenever I pull up in a garage or behind another car, the reflection really helps clue you in as to how close you are. As for diagonal parking up to a curb or straight up to a parking block *without* a wall behind it, I do not know - haven't done that yet in all my 73 miles :)

Dave

5. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    We also have an older Honda Odyssey that helped break us in. It's just something you get used to. The nose is out there somewhere. :)

6. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I know of one Prius owner that went to their local Pep Boys (or other auto store) and got a cell phone antenna for about $12. They mounted it to the front license plate frame. The tip is just visible, especially if you put an antenna ball there. When anyone asks them what the antenna is for they say the Prius is able to draw electricity from the air. :lol:

7. glenk

glenk Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Is that for real? Insurance was higher than an Audi Quattro? I would think with the typical driver/owner of a Prius, that would be exactly opposite!

I have yet to add mine new car to my current policy yet and will be doing so shortly, so I'll find out as well.

glenk

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    double an A4? wow.

9. gqscientist

gqscientist New Member

I have read some insurance companies are giving discounts to Hybrid drivers (reflects conservative driving), but mine does not yet (AMEX/COSTCO)

10. benighted

benighted New Member

I think Esurance is one of them, I saved about $500 switching from Progressive to Esurance with the exact same coverage over 6 months. ($850 as opposed to $1350). This helps a lot because even with my perfect driving record my insurance cost won't go down until I am 25.

11. DaveSheremata

DaveSheremata New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm paying $630 every 6 mothns to Geico for 3 cars and 2 people every 6 months (old Rodeo, old Accord and the new Prius with $500 dectable)... Your driving record counts for a lot, as does the deductable and the region your in - I'm sure you get much better deal in Wyoming than in Manhattan.
    I often go for higher deductables, as you can see that the difference in price between a $250 and $500 deductable is a huge monthly payment - if you *do* get in a fender bender with a $250 deductable, your rates will more than likely go up so much that over the cource of 2 years you'll be paying a lot more than the $250 difference. So, because I "plan" on having *less* than 1 one accident every 2 years, I get higher deductables. I 've only had one insurance claim ever and that was 13 years ago.

Dave

12. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow! Something doesn't sound right about that. :blink: I would talk to them, to make sure you are getting the discounts for all the airbags/alarm/etc. The insurance on my 2006 Prius is almost identical to my other 2 cars, both older Mitsubishis. The insurance company sent me a bill for $1 for the difference! :D

13. jacaufie

jacaufie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I had a similar experience with Allstate - they wanted $150 more per 6/mo policy than my 2002 Jetta. The diff was in comprehensive/collision. When I called and asked why, I expected to hear a rap about the cost to repair hybrid components or MFD distraction causing more rear-end accidents. Nope - they said that it was due to the car being 'newer'.

So I changed companies and got a rate that is $200 less than Allstate's (and I'm not talking about companies like Geico). I was a customer of Allstate's for over 30 years but this finally made me act. 'Loyalty' gets you nothing; you have to shop around.