1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

06 Prius Jbl Speakers

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Prius 06, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Prius 06

Prius 06 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Hey guys.
    I tried to look but couldn't find anything definite for what I'm looking for.
    We bought our 06 Prius a year ago about now (used).
    I've been reading about how the JBL system isn't that impressive, but I have to disagree. In fact I find it to be the best sounding stock system I've ever heard.
    However, I'm starting to wonder if maybe the last owner changed the speakers.
    I don't really want to get into taking the door pannels off, so thought I'd ask here.
    I've noticed that on all 4 doors, when they are open and the sun his hitting them just right, you can see a silver woofer cone inside.

Would these be the stock speakers?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    FWIW, I have the JBL "premium" stereo in my Prius and well, IMHO, it's definitely one of the better stock stereos for a non-luxury car and I'd call it good, but not excellent overall. But, to me, it's not good enough for the "premium" moniker.

Try out the JBL premium (?) stereo in the HyCam (Hybrid Camry). I had one as a loaner (HyCam had the JBL stereo + nav) for ~1.5 days and WOW, it blows the doors of my Prius' JBL. Also, try listening to stereos in a high end Mercedes (I'm no Mercedes fan) or Lexus. I think that'd change your opinion a bit.

The 4 door woofers on mine definitely have silver cones. The 4 tweeters have visible silver in the middle but I'm not positive how far the cones extend. I've seen the door panel off my rear door when I watched someone replace my broken window. IIRC, there was a JBL sticker on the woofer.

(I'm the only owner of my Prius and I've never changed any of its stereo components.)

3. Prius 06

Prius 06 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Well, I did say for a stock stereo.... HyCam is a more expensive car, and Mercedes/Lexus...well, I don't think we can compare them. I've heard/have MUCH higher end stereo's then in the Prius. I just don't find it as bad as everyone does.

Anyways, thanks for the help...at least I now know what I have.

4. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Some people's ears are more sensitive to sound than others. The JBLs are far better than any stock, non-branded, 10-cent speaker, but they are put to shame by half-decent aftermarkets.

5. tom1l21

tom1l21 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I want to replace some (or all) of my jbl speakers. Should I keep the tweeters and replace the 4 subs? What connection are all of the speakers (component or coaxial)? Can I use the JBL amp for an aftermarket sub? I have never done speakers in a car so I am pretty much a noob when it comes to this stuff. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!