1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

06 Prius might need new abs actuator. Can I still drive it?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cdmTX, Nov 20, 2022.

1. cdmTX

cdmTX New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Recently, I turned my car on and backed out o the driveway. I put it in drive and a high-pitched continuous beep came on. Also, the ABS and the emergency brake lights came on. I promptly drove it back up my driveway and turned the car off. Two days later, my nephew came to look at it and to run a diagnostic on it. I turned the car on and could not replicate the issue. No beep, no warning lights. based on what I’ve read here, it is probably the ABS actuator.
    1. Can I still drive it until it beeps again?
    2. Anyone have luck with used actuator?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I drove my gen 2 over a year with abs vac. Skid control lights all on but pedal was still great feeling so I kept driving.till one day only the front rt caliper was working. So time to fix.put on and pump n accumulator and done . Lights off

cdmTX likes this.
  3. cdmTX

cdmTX New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you have the continuous beep?

4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If there is something that the braking ecu didn't like and it turned on warning lights (and audible tone), then there should be trouble codes stored.

Before I planned on replacing anything, I would want to see what those codes were. This requires a capable scantool in order to see the codes and any INF (sub) codes that have more details.

At minimum your can search the forum for "flash codes" to learn how to jumper two terminals of the OBD connector then count which warning lights flash how many times. This gives you a 2-digit version of some codes in the braking system.

If the codes and any subsequent testing point towards replacing the ABS actuator assembly, then you have to ask yourself, "do you feel lucky?" You already have a used part. Another one might work ok- or not.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

cdmTX likes this.
  5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I had all the lights I never had any beeping anytime I have beeping it means the fobs and the slot and the car is ready to start The door's open in my world. I know there are some beeps that can be set with some codes or whatever but I never seem to get the beeps I've had the hybrid battery go bad with all the lights on and the fan running full blast and all of that no beeps I've had the 12 volt go bad and fail everything no beeps. I'm trying to think what else The break actuator went bad and no beeps or generally if I get any beeps once I get the codes the beep stop and I know I have beep capability because I haven't stuff things in any of the beepers or buzzers yet I may never get there at this age My older cars I would fill the beepers in the buzzers with caulking or goop or whatever so they would never make any noises again because I don't like noises I don't mind lights but noises is out. But I never had beeps I drove this '09 around almost 2 years with the full Christmas tree lit up and I had great breaking We drive the car very swiftly never had any problems so all of a sudden one day out on a job I push the brake pedal and noticed the car would still fly to the right only the front left caliper I think was grabbing and I drove home slowly and changed the brake actuator that afternoon end of problem

cdmTX likes this.
  6. cdmTX

cdmTX New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

7. cdmTX

cdmTX New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It was the continuous beep that stopped me in my tracks. There was no way I could drive with that. I’m encouraged that you didn’t actually experience break issues until 2 yrs after warning light.

8. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I am sure this was rare you need to maybe scan the codes and find out what the beep is I didn't have a beep during all the time these lights were on going around corners doing anything I remember having beeps sometime but I think it was when like I say the door was open while the car was moving or not completely latched and then of course to stop on level ground check all systems or whatever pops up on the MFD and I immediately know the door is closed I usually just closed the door while I'm still driving and that just goes away It might even put on the red triangle but certainly not a lot of beeping The alarm does all kinds of beeping or my key fob not being in the slot gets me no beats when the doors open so I know my fob is not in the slot and I'm not going anywhere so maybe you have beeps because of something else .

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Out of the couple hundred brake system trouble codes, a handful of them come with the alarm sound. The repair manual says which ones. In general, they are the ones indicating there isn't pressure available to help stop the car if you brake.

10. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    And when that happens don't you also notice a bit more pedal travel or the pedal gets real hard like a rock and no matter what you do pressing on it has very little to do with any breaking it's like four people could stand on the break and still hit the car in front of you

11. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have never experienced a brake failure but I was under the impression that the Prius simulates brake pressure on the pedal by pushing back on your foot. If that’s true and it’s a brake by wire setup I would think the best way to simulate a loss of braking would be to let it push all the way down

continuing to drive with uncertain brakes is scary even though a lot of your braking may be regenerative. Can the ebrake come to the rescue for a low speed stop? I was never sure if they have evolved to be anything more than a parking brake

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The car's not actively doing anything to control what your foot feels. There is a part called the stroke simulator, which is just a piston with a spring behind it, and then a stiffer spring. That's what you feel when you press on the pedal. The car watches what pressure you produce there, and says "ok, that's how hard the driver wants to brake", and controls the actual brakes to make it so (after coordinating with the powertrain for regen).

In failsafe mode, the computer just stops doing any of that, and lets some valves drop to their failsafe position, where the stroke simulator is sealed off and you're just pushing fluid straight to the front brakes. Whatever you feel then is exactly what's happening.

Frontporch likes this.
  13. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For my peace of mind, should a brake pump fail while you are away from home, you still have mechanical breaking that should be safe enough to get home carefully?

Barring a hydraulic failure in the brake system, you should be able to return home with old school front brakes (maybe no regen, or abs, but brakes just the same)

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes; you'll be braking the car by just the front wheels, so don't place large bets on stability, and there will be no assist, so you will have to press the pedal very hard.

If there are bubbles in the system, you could find the pedal then goes to the floor without doing much to slow the car, just as it would in any old-school brake system with bubbles in it.

15. James Trimm

James Trimm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a tech I use who has tried to use used actuators off eBay. After two failures on the same car he recommends new ones only. He is certified and a Prius owner.