1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'06 Prius: normal startup process... until I try to shift into D or R

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dslomer64, Sep 19, 2023.

1. dslomer64

dslomer64 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Display looks like ready to drive but can't shift into D or R. Indicator goes back to N.
    (Every "trouble" symbol/icon is lit but I was able to drive it like this while waiting for rebuilt hybrid/traction battery)

Day before, with a lot to unload, I accidentally let my car idle for "awhile" (maybe 15 minutes).

My "plan": (1) back up near door, (2) get out, (3) back closer, if necessary (4) get back in, (5) back closer,
    (6) shut off engine...
    Step 3 said "close enough", so good--no need for steps 4 and 5 and ... uh ... oops. There's yer problem.

So, after "awhile" I did step 6--shut it off. Left it setting in same place. Had no idea of any problem, until ...
    ... next morning, when I found it wouldn't shift into D or R.

I have a horrible feeling that excessive idling killed the traction battery.
    Any (lifetime) warranty claim requires codes from a repair shop.

I bought a $40 Innova 5010 ODB2 reader (the "user manual" was the card it was packaged with). It had two buttons:

(1) black, showed no codes. Okay, try red.
    (2) red, with a pencil eraser etched into it. I pushed it. Nothing. I held it. Heard a beep. What did I erase?
    Every "trouble" symbol is still lit, except big red ! so I hadn't erased the codes. I returned the device. Crap.

Only hope seems to be to tow to repair shop and
    (a) they'll definitely find some codes still stored, whether in my favor or not.
    (b) they definitely won't find any codes, which could be to my favor, but I doubt it.
    (c) if it needs new/rebuilt traction battery and isn't covered by lifetime warranty, junk it.
    ======================================================================
    I just charged 12-volt battery with Schumacher SC 1280 set at AGM.
    It says 100%, "charged",13.2 volts.
    Multimeter says 13.1 volts.
    Try to start.... Still no go. OK. I'm finished. Any advice will be welcome.

P.S. Yesterday, charged to 12.1v. Rapid beepbeepbeepbeep-ing with door open. After 100% charge, no beeps, except for the 5 that I always(?) hear.

2. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Try disconnecting the 12v battery for about 5 minutes and reconnect it. Then start the car and see if it will go into drive or reverse. If it does then you probably have trouble code P0AA6 for "hybrid battery voltage system isolation fault" and every time that you turn off the car, it will not go into drive or reverse when it is restarted.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can't read the fine print. :eek:
    It sounds like you have a HV isolation fault, and need to find a compatible scanner to address such.

#3 SFO, Sep 21, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2023
  4. dslomer64

dslomer64 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I had to have the car towed to Beechmont Toyota Thursday night.

Next morning, Service Guy (SG) found DTC P0A0D—HIGH VOLTAGE SYSTEM INTERLOCK ("high voltage service plug") CIRCUIT HIGH.

"Hybrid battery issue," said SG's brain.

(Now, I had removed the top cover and spare cover from the hatch many days ago and might have even noticed a conspicuous orange object but had no idea that I should maybe mess with it.)

Next thing SG did was mess with the bright orange HV service plug (see attached). It was not quite seated. SG pushed it down.

SG pressed the Power button and shifted into D, where it stayed, instead of moving to N. Moments later….

"Vroomm Vrroommm," the gas engine tried to say, but it sounded more like a lawn mower engine.

"That'll be $170, Mr. Dave," said Service Dept.

Hey, I said to no one in particular, I'm thankful it didn't cost 10 times that much! but nobody in particular responded. Maybe I had just said it to myself.

No matter. I drove home Friday morning a pretty happy fella.

P.S. Note that neither of the cheap-*ss OBD-II readers I bought and returned told me ANY DTC. Had I seen P0A0D, I might have come back here with that info and very possibly someone would have gotten me through this for $0, but $170 was indeed truly cheap for the stress it relieved, especially that caused by my wife's intent-to-kill look that seemed to be moving closer to becoming reality with each passing day that the car just sat there.

high voltage service plus.png

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Absolutely. You wouldn't even have needed someone to get you through it: you would have done a quick search for P0A0D and skimmed through the dozens of posts telling you that means the safety interlock is open, usually from the handle of that orange plug not being shoved all the way home.

If you had searched earlier with a search term like "no codes" or "any DTC", you would have seen the dozens of posts about how many cheap-*ss OBD-II readers can't see lots of codes in a Prius, and the link to the reviews showing which ones you can use.

Gen2 OBD2 app review | PriusChat

dslomer64 likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yeah, that orange thingy didn’t loosen itself

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've never heard of it loosening itself ... but if one ever did, P0A0D is still the code you'd get.

8. dslomer64

dslomer64 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    EDIT (8pm?): I posted this just after midnight but since I didn't see it in this thread today, I posted it again after I saw two posts that were definitely referring to my yesterday's post, which at the time wasn't in my computer's local version of the thread.

At some point, I noticed that the post #numbering had a gap between two posts (I think it was #4 and #7. Let's say it was.). Post #7 was the first of two posts referring to what you see below/yesterday. I still don't see my yesterday's post. Maybe it's actually #5 or #6.

CONTINUATION OF EDIT (10 pm?): I now see both of my posts. This is what's left of my second post. I've made it look nothing like a duplicate but left enough to explain why the duplication. I don't know what happened between midnight at 11am, but all seems as it should with no gaps in post numbers. I've left the P.P.S. in place to explain what I think caused the "orange thingy" to "loosen itself"! :confused::rolleyes:o_O:cry::LOL::cry::sleep::sleep:

P.P.S. It just so happened that I had filled the hatch area with the last load of stuff from our previous home. I can imagine that a piece of the stuff bumped or hooked the HV service plug and when I removed "that piece", doing so dislodged the plug. But why did the car keep running? Well, when I finally powered down, I still had stuff to remove. I think this is when I moved "that piece" and unseated the plug, causing next day's first start (and several more) to fail.

#8 dslomer64, Sep 30, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2023
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    why did you post the same thing again?

10. dslomer64

dslomer64 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I basically deleted the second--I edited the heck out of it, trying to leave enough to explain why the duplication. I'm not sure I was successful. But it's behind us now.

bisco likes this.
  11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The repair manual describes the car's programmed fail-safe response when that safety interlock opens. If it opens while you're running, you get warning lights but keep running. Once you shut down, you're down, until the circuit is closed again.

JohnPrius3005 likes this.