1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'06 Prius replacing shift actuator assy. 3 x's

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Auntmimi, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Auntmimi

Auntmimi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Since 2010, my '06 Prius has been towed 3 x's and the Shift Actuator assy. has been replaced twice along with the small battery. Today, the same message regarding the transmission assy. with only 25K miles and only 5 months and 1000 miles since the last shift actuator assy. installed. Do I call Toyota directly or the BBB?

The dealer tried charging me $1700 last time and the shift act. had not been in even a year. They did charge me the $700 and the problem still exists 5 months later.

How often will I be stranded and why can't they find and fix the problem.

Another question: How long does the main battery last and how much to replace? Should I sell this lemon?

2. Auntmimi

Auntmimi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How do I change the subject? '06 Prius problem is with the transmission; not the brakes. Thank you.

3. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Aunt Mimi,

I think your problem is that you do not drive your Prius enough. 1000 miles in 5 months is not sufficient for maintaining the little 12V battery. It impossible for the dealership to fix it, because it is a design flaw in the car. It must be driven 100 miles per week to be properly maintained. If you were to have your car jump started, the error message will go away, and it would be fine to drive to your destination, but you will have the same problem when you go to start it again.

I urge you to do the following: call Josh Mellor at Mellor's Automotive in West Melbourne to schedule an appointment. 321-956-1997. Tell him that your 12V battery is dead, and that because of your usage pattern, you need to have a charge maintainer installed for your 12V battery. Now, you will need to have your car plugged in when you are at home, I hope that is possible.

3 people like this.
  4. Auntmimi

Auntmimi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for your reply. The service dept. has not phoned me with their prognosis. It the past, I had driven many more miles and had the same problem. I drive it almost everyday, but short trips. It did start after the warning, but the warning kept re-appearing. I'll have to see how far W. Melbourne is from here. I really appreciate your insight.

5. Auntmimi

Auntmimi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just curious, when the time comes, do you know what it costs to replace the main battery? How long does it last. My husband really wants me to sell it, but there is nothing out there that I'm ready to buy.

6. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You are coming up on a good time to sell your car. High gas prices, and you have low mileage, which isn't necessarily a good thing, but it will make your car more attractive. The main battery has an 8 year, 100,000 mile warranty. You have plenty of time left.

Test drive a non-hybrid Camry when you visit the dealer. They are nice.

1 person likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the main battery usually lasts a long time an has a long warranty. (you should check it)
    it costs around $2,000. to replace it outside of warranty.

1 person likes this.
  8. Auntmimi

Auntmimi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mr. Sielert, You are a world of information. Thank you so much. What I love about my 06 Prius is that it is small, but not too small and has great maneuverability. I haven't looked at the latest Camry's, but have like them in the past. In the new Prius, I don't care for the huge console in the center.

9. Auntmimi

Auntmimi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Bisco, Ouch!!! That would hurt, but I do have time if the transmission problem ever gets solved. I plan on checking to see if I have the information on how many miles I drove in between before this happened the last two times. Guess I'll have to think about car shopping; I'd rather shop for shoes!

10. Auntmimi

Auntmimi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The dealership says my on-going saga with the transmission park mechanism problem has been solved this time. They now say it could be the transmission actuator assembly which they've replaced twice or now, it really is the 'parts control relay for the parking mechanism' which is saying that I'm trying to start the car while not in 'park' even though it is in park. Let's hope this solves the problem. A while back it did not hold when I hit the 'park' button and I wonder if the 'parts control relay' caused that to happen. Again, thanks for your help. They say there is now a bulletin out. Aunt Mimi

11. Auntmimi

Auntmimi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank your for that information.
    This is the latest with my Prius problem:

The dealership says my on-going saga with the transmission park mechanism problem has been solved this time. They now say it could've been the transmission actuator assembly which they've replaced twice or now, it really is the 'parts control relay' which is saying that I'm trying to start the car while not in 'park' even though it is in park. Let's hope this solves the problem. A while back it did not hold when I hit the 'park' button and I wonder if the 'parts control relay' caused that to happen. Again, thanks for your help. Aunt Mimi