1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

06 Prius with P0A80 code and local refurbished battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PriusNuevo, Oct 14, 2014.

1. PriusNuevo

PriusNuevo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    My buddy has an o6 with the P0A80 code. He looked around for a battery replacement in Craigslist and found a guy that would come to his house and replace the bad modules for 450 dollars plus 50 dollars for each bad module, 6 months warranty. I did a little research and doesn't the balancing of all the cells needs to be done after a cell change and doesn't that take at least a week to do? Any help would be appreciated.
    There's also a guys who would bring a battery already good and installs it for 890. 1 year warranty and unlimited miles.
    What does the community think? Thanks.

2. PriusNuevo

PriusNuevo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
  3. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    $450 plus $50 per module seems awfully cheap but, who knows how many modules he's gonna say are bad. 10 supposedly bad modules ='s $500. That could get pricey. Additionally, how are you (or you're "friend") gonna know if the modules are really bad??? You can't look at them and say, "yep, its bad". I know its far away but there are two people on PC that I would trust for your situation. Tampa Prius (he may work with you and meet you halfway or figure something out) or ericbecky (he sells battery packs on PC with a 3 year warranty). Both are trusted members. A guy on Craigslist may be great but, may not. How do you know he won't go out of business in two months?

For your other question, one day is fast to recondition an HV battery but, who knows what kind of a system he has. He may have 12, four cell chargers and can recondition all modules at once. If that's the case, he could easily recondition the battery in about five hours or so (maybe even less).

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that guy has a thread here, just posted a few days ago. his moniker is David Guybumbling, and the thread is Hybrid Battery-Fix it don't replace it. it's probably okay, and cheap enough. the problem with balancing the cells is described in another thread by eric becky, and he states that just matching voltages is almost as good i believe. i think the issue comes down to all the other old cells that are in the battery. i'd say either of your buddies options have a 50/50 chance of lasting more than a year.

j12piprius likes this.
  5. PriusNuevo

PriusNuevo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I appreciate the info. It's either going cheap and hope it will last the 50000 to 70000 miles they claim or spend the 2 to 3 grand from a reputable place and hope that it last what they claim.

6. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Balancing is critical. There are enough stories here of people undergoing this repair (module replacement), but not balancing, only to come back with problems. Learn from other people's mistakes.

Usnavystgc highlights a recent posting of a new member who did a simple module(s) replacement. This person claims balancing is not necessary, as a long drive will rebalance the entire pack. His experience may be the exception rather than the rule. Hopefully he will repost his success after some time (weeks, months), of how he was able to get away w/o proper rebalancing. Why not just do the job right from the very beginning?

Ryousideways experience, documentation, and nice write-up has provided us with a "Bible" or "How to guide," for module diagnosis, replacement, equipment recommendation, and charge settings. LINK to this guide. He had diagnosed all modules, replaced the bad modules, charged/recharged all modules, assembled the pack w/ voltages w/in .02V of each other, only to have a failure.
    Sorry for the delay everyone. After I got it back together I drove it 120 miles with a mix of highway and stop and go traffic. Before I had balanced the battery pack I was only able to make it about 16 miles before the triangle would show and battery vent fan would kick on. Proper battery balancing is must.

CORRECTION:
    Hit up member Todd (AKA Tampaprius.com) Ericbecky, since he is in Tampa, FL, and has a good reputation here; maybe his pricing is competitive? Second choice would be the $890 complete pack, only after this person describes in detail how he charged/discharged, equipment and settings he used, and how he balanced the entire pack. Last choice would be the craigslist.

Good luck.

#6 exstudent, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i thought eric was in madison, wi, did he move?

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Todd is in Tampa. Tampaprius.com