1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

06 + surging

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by LezlieS21, Jun 16, 2024.

Tags:
  1. LezlieS21

LezlieS21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Today, as I was leaving a parking lot and pushed my gas pedal to engage accelerate my car hesitated then really surged and Had a difficult time getting up to 45 mph. My battery completely depleted. I had no AC on either. Earlier this morning my dashboard lights went out, but then came back on when I went to drive again. I do plan on getting it to someone but wondering if anyone has an idea what this might be?

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    symptoms generally align with those of a hybrid battery that has reached the end of its useful life.

As always, it is virtually impossible to make a real diagnosis unless somebody connects a Prius-savvy diagnostic scanner to the car.

3. LezlieS21

LezlieS21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Leadfoot, thank you for the reply. I was being told that there are 2 batteries in the prius, the auxillary and the hybrid. The hybrid registers the computer, but the auxillary does not. I was told because of the issue with the dashboard going dark, it may be with the actual auxillary, not the hybrid.

I have not experience ANY issues with collecting energy until yesterday. I was pulling out of a parking lot, pushed to accelerate, and my car had initial difficulty moving then immediate surge. Not like a typical "if I have to put the pedal to the medal" type of acceleration. Then it was struggling hard to get to 50 mph. Then (going down hills) it wasn't collecting battery juice. I had turned off my A/C to help.

Plan is to take to Toyota dealer or some other mechanic within 72 hours.

I did notice last night, my coolant is very low (have no idea why they didn't inform me when I went to get my oil changed). I picked up more at Orielly and plan on adding that into there this evening. I am currently not driving it. I didn't know if it would just break down on the side of the road or if I would be adding more damage.