1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

06 with 5k miles has an oil drip - anyone else seen this?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by MaineJenny, Oct 16, 2006.

1. MaineJenny

MaineJenny New Member

Hello,

I was under my 2006 Prius this weekend doing its first oil change and I noticed a small oil drip coming from the underside of the engine. The oil level before the change was fine, and the leak appears to be small, but at 5K on a "green" car, I would not expect any leakage at all.

The drip appears to be coming from a gasket where the engine casing comes together. I know they say the engine takes some time to "seat" itself while the new componenets break in, so I'm really hoping this is the case here... perhaps it will go away. I have an appt at the dealership next week for them to take a look and see what they think.

I was wondering if anyone else noticed this when they were under their Prius... I have never seen a drip of oil on the driveway, so I think it might very slowly weap out at highway speed and then blow back, but never weeps enough to cause a drop on the ground.... Its very easy to spot by looking under the car.. its the main part of the engine in the middle of the car... there is an orange gasket that looks like it was caulked on at the factory. I have a picture of it attached.... please let me know if anyone had a similar issue... I will report back when I talk to the dealer next week and let you know what they tell me.

[​IMG]

2. Ari

Ari New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks for posting a picture.

How about if you collect some more information? If you can reach the oily area, wipe it clean with a paper towel and then track it from there (ie. drive it for a week and see what happens.) Has the level of the oil dropped when measuring with the dipstick?

In the beginning of your post you call this a "drip", but then later you say you have never actually seen a drip on your driveway or on the engine. In the photo there is no drip either, although there's obviously a film of dirty oil over a large area.

BTW, I've had oily spots like this on almost all cars that I've owned. Nothing on my 06 Prius yet, though. Let us know what you find out! :huh:

3. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MaineJenny @ Oct 16 2006, 10:22 AM) [snapback]333412[/snapback]</div>
    Yes me too. I will take a picture when it stops raining. Please post what you find out.

4. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MaineJenny @ Oct 16 2006, 10:22 AM) [snapback]333412[/snapback]</div>
    Doesn't look to me like the red gasket in the picture is the problem, at least not in that area. And I would agree that oil is blowing back, judging by what appears to be an accumulation of dirt in the area on the right side of the picture.

My '06 has 1500 miles on her and I haven't noticed this sort of leak. Have you added oil to the car? Perhaps a teensy bit spilled, then slowly found its way down to where it is now...?

Either that, or I'd suspect something leaking higher up; but what that is I can only guess. I don't think you should have to wait for the gaskets to seat as you've suggested, though. I think that's only true for Fiats and older Harleys.

5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MaineJenny @ Oct 16 2006, 08:22 AM) [snapback]333412[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think oil leaks fix themselves. If it leaks it will keep leaking until fixed. The gasket in your picture is part of the PSD not the engine.

6. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That just looks dirty, not "oil-y" to me, I'd suggest cleaning it with some 409 or whatever degreaser you like and see if it comes back. I tend to think that if you are not seeing oil drops on your driveway or garage, and the oil level is not dropping in 5K miles, then you have nothing to worry about.

7. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I was just rereading thru this and noticed you saw this after your first oil change. Could be from changing the oil filter, some splatter from not wiping off the pan, or some spillage from refilling the oil. Either way, the same suggestions apply (clean it off and see if it comes back, keep an eye on your oil level), and probably not a big deal.

8. Liberanos5

Liberanos5 New Member

Doing your own oil changes??? :blink: I gotta ask. What on earth for?

Paul

9. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Liberanos5 @ Oct 17 2006, 09:32 AM) [snapback]333882[/snapback]</div>
    I gotta ask... why not??? :p

By doing your own oil change, you make sure that everything is done right. I personally enjoy taking care of my baby with my own hands and enjoy the entire process.

10. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Liberanos5 @ Oct 17 2006, 06:32 AM) [snapback]333882[/snapback]</div>
    Quite a few of us on this site change our own oil. It's easy to do, I do a better job and I know it's done right. The bulk oil used at dealerships and "quickey lube" type places can be real junk. One of the people on this site, jayman I think, had a sample of new bulk oil from his Toyota dealership analyzed and it was not something I would want in my car. Some people have had Toyota dealers overfill the oil, put the wrong pressure in the tires, try to sell them a bunch of services that they didn't need, the list goes on and on.

11. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Liberanos5 @ Oct 17 2006, 09:32 AM) [snapback]333882[/snapback]</div>
    I can change it quicker myself than dropping it off at a dealer, the used oil is dropped off to be recycled on my way to or from work. I've also never stripped a drain plug, or put in the bulk Pennzoil instead of the Mobil 1 the customer brought in, or spent 10 minutes arguing with myself that my air filter with 5K on it needed replacing since it is not as bright and shiny as the new one, or overfilled it by half a quart, or put ATF in the brake master cylinder. I've not always changed my own oil, there are times and places where it's not practical, but the benefits outweigh the drawbacks for me, especially with oil change intervals and the amount of driving I do. Not all of the "nevers" listed above have happened directly to me, all happened to me or someone I know personally, however.

12. Artemis

Artemis New Member

I would check the lubed fittings forward of that point. YOu might also want to be sure that it is actually oil. You can have a bit just from being filled and some drops falling down there. I have had people bring in a Prius that is like that and it usually turns out to be a lubed part forward that just is getting used for the first time since the sale.

13. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Absolutely, clean everything off and try to locate exactly where the
    first bit of leakage emerges thereafter.
    Why the heck did you put the picture under an SSL link instead of
    a regular HTTP one? No need.
    _H*

14. MaineJenny

MaineJenny New Member

I took my car to the dealer today, and they found where the leak was coming from... Apparently the axle seal is leaking.... this is the gasket that seals where the front CV axle connects to the transmission. The tech suggested it was a manufacturing defect and the gasket was either not seated correctly or it had a tear in it or something before it was installed at the factory. He said its very rare. Basically what you see in the pic above is below the axle connection so the fluid was dripping down and then blowing back when the car was moving. He said the trans fluid level still looked fine, but he didn't want me driving it anywhere. The part is 3 days out, so they gave me a loner while I'm waiting for the part.

I told him to clean everything off real good so I can continue to monitor for any leaks in the future. Kind of a bummer to have to deal with at 5k miles, but I think I caulght it early enough and it seems like a pretty straight forward repair. I don't currently have the extended warranty, but this is making me think it might be a good idea ;-). We'll see how the next 20K miles goes.

15. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MaineJenny @ Oct 20 2006, 10:19 AM) [snapback]335555[/snapback]</div>
    Better to catch now than deal with later. I had a problem with the transmission (remember those?) in my RAV4 shortly after I bought it, and Toyota was very good about doing more than necessary to fix it. That was a while ago, but I hope things haven't changed too much since then.

16. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    the initial warranty is basically to cover screw-ups like that. good thing you caught it early though and brought it in!