1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'06 with P0A80 code. Replace traction battery with new OEM, or ___?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bcmanucd, Jun 23, 2024.

1. bcmanucd

bcmanucd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi All,

I have an '06 with about 135,000 miles that recently gave my wife the red triangle of death, VSC, and check engine lights. I hooked up my bluetooth OBD2 reader, and codes P3000 and P0A80 were stored. I cleared the codes, and P0A80 returned. While I was doing this, the car was sitting in park, ignition on, with no climate control, and I was watching the battery level display on the MFD go from 4 bars (blue) down to 2 bars (purple) in about a minute. The engine would kick on, battery would charge back up, engine would shut off, and the process would repeat every couple of minutes. MPG has been great recently, though there have been a few times over the past couple months where the traction battery loses all charge overnight.

Based on the codes, this behavior, and its age, I'm fully expecting the traciton battery needs replacing. I'm the 2nd owner after my mom, so I know the pack is original. I've got some hope that it might be corroded contacts, since it lived most of its life in a "marine" environment (less than a 1/4 mile from the ocean) and I've already dealt with lots of rusted/seized fasteners. I'll probably open it up to take a look tomorrow, but I'd like to start exploring my options for replacement now. I'm pretty darn mechanically inclined, and not scared of working on high voltage, so doing cell/module replacement/reconditioning is certainly an option, though I'd have to procure the proper equipment. It's our 2nd car, and none of us use cars for commuting to work/school, so this can certainly become a project vehicle. Are there options out there to convert the 2nd gen to a plug-in hybrid? Or new battery chemistries that will improve the fuel economy?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Some sweetest guy made a battery set up that you could plug in to a wall some guy in Maryland has one He might chime in a few You might be able to Google it but I'm certain you probably can't buy it. I've asked the question many times Make me a battery twice the size of the one now with the latest chemistry and the 211 volt setup which is us and our Prius and what could I expect nobody has anything to say so apparently later chemistry and more AH and all that is somewhat more trouble than it's worth or something maybe our electric motors can't carry us down the road at speed you know and city at 30 maybe or something I don't know. Like my volte I'd like to do the same thing. But apparently all you can do is spend $10,000 and get a replacement battery of exactly what was in there No new chemistry no new nothing which to me seems nonsensical I guess I need to call Rich rebuilds and see what his buddies know.

3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would begin with getting a scantool that can view the HV battery ecu data, specifically the battery block voltages. For this one task, I find the Dr Prius app to be quite useful.

The battery has 28 sealed modules in series. The ecu monitors the voltage in pairs (so 14 "blocks").

The main bit of data you want is VOLTage DIFFerence. When the ecu sees the difference between blocks get "too high" for "too long", it sets codes.

Normally that rarely exceeds 0.3V for more than a few seconds. If a cell in a module fails, you'll see that block 1.0-1.5V lower than others (possibly only under load).

I also have another tool that can scan codes and data on all systems for a Gen2 prius (getting INF codes is also good). Here's a review thread.

https://priuschat.com/index.php?posts/3290690

Here is a VERY long thread about DIY pack repair using hobby RC chargers to charge-discharge cycle modules. I did it once, never again - took about 5 weeks to do 4-6 cycles per module for 32 modules - (27 original, plus 5 replacement from ebay as several never improved like the others).

That said, the pack did fine for 2-1/2 years and 50k.

https://priuschat.com/index.php?posts/1788250

You can also research "grid chargers", which cycle the entire pack at one time once the bad module(s) are replaced.

Then there's "refurbished" packs, where someone else (possibly) does the above process on other used modules. Understand the warranty as you'll likely need it. Might get 2-3 years, or maybe 2-3 weeks. Some can cost awfully close to new OE.

Or look at finding a full set of used modules from a newer Prius. Any NiMh battery pack from a Gen2, Gen3, or some Gen4 can fit in the Gen2 case.

Lastly is a new pack from Toyota. Shop (online) around and you might be able to find it for under $2k to you. The dealer often quotes full list price and a installation if you want them to do the work.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

bcmanucd likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there's an aftermarket lithium pack, but it is controversial