1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'07: Any reason to take to dealer service dept?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dougbraun, Dec 31, 2011.

1. dougbraun

dougbraun Junior Member

Hello,

My '07 with 67k miles hasn't seen the dealer service department in about 3 or 4 years, and there is nothing wrong with it. Is there any possible reason to take it there for scheduled maintenance, etc? For example, are there any firmware updates that ought to be done? Any other sort of checks or work that is not included in the scheduled maintenance? I got a letter from Toyota about the coolant pump recall, but that does not seem like an urgent item, and I have a year or so to get around to it.

Thanks,
    Doug

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I can't think of any firmware updates for the 07, but I'd suggest you get the inverter coolant pump replaced ASAP. It could develop the problem that's indicated at an inopportune time.

3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Unless you are a DIY, have a Toyota dealer change out the Transmission fluid (Toyota type WS ATF), It should cost about $100.

JeffD

4. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    +1, get the inverter coolant pump recall done. It could leave you stranded, and zap your 12v battery.

Now is a good time to change the transaxle fluid. It is not necessary to do this at a dealer, but it does require 4 quarts of ATF WS, which you could purchase while at the dealership (not available anywhere else), or other compatible synthetic ATF (just as expensive).

Otherwise, the next big service would be the engine coolant at 100K. Check the area around the A/C compressor and water pump pulley, as that tends to leak at the inner shaft seal-- a problem fixed in the 2008 model year for most Toyotas, not just Prius.

I have a 2004 RAV4 with 160,000 miles, and it has not been back to dealer since I bought it new. There is nothing magical about dealership service; the most useful benefits they provide are stocking OEM parts and performing free warranty/recall work.

5. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I agree--the only reason I go to the dealer service department is for warranty/recall work. I haven't brought it in for the inverter coolant pump or gas pedal/floor mat recalls yet but I probably will in the Spring.

I look at the items covered in the dealer service packages and then perform those items myself at home. It saves a lot of $$ and the trip to the dealership. :D

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    What you go to the dealer for turns on you ... your ability ... and/or your ambitiousness:

You can do a little

You can do a lot.

BUT ... what you NEED (whether the dealer or you do it) is listed here:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...70-what-services-you-need-what-you-don-t.html

So, any thing above the items mentioned by Galaxee's thread is pretty much a waste - or, you just want to make certain your dealer's service garage stays in business. personally, I don't worry about that too much.

7. googrx

googrx New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know. Check google rating on the dealership!

You do know dealership have an economic advantage to sell you one of their cars, right?

8. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I personally try to avoid the dealership service departments at all cost. I hate them almost as much as I hate the oil companies.

9. tv4fish

tv4fish Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    SURE it is :) (You just have to be a good eBayer) AND a DIY'er. :)

Toyota ATF WS | eBay

1 person likes this.
  10. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

All those online listings are parts counters at Toyota dealerships.