1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

07 HyCam

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by hycamguy07, Mar 11, 2007.

1. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Ok here goes, I purchased my 07 hycam (has everything except NAV) on Sunday 3/10/07, while driving home (34 miles from the dealership) the ice cold A/C in the fraction of second started blowing out extreemely HOTT air.... I mean very hot so hot my fingertips were burning while I tried to ajust the vent.. :blink:

It was too late to turn back as the dealer was closing when we left.. On monday the A/C was blowing cold but when the ICE started it turned to HOT again. when you would come to a stop (and the ICE would shut off) it would start blowing cold again until the ICE restarted. :huh:

Then I took the car to a closer dealership and they gave me a loaner car while they have mine. I called today 3/13/07 and they told me they had a tech & a master tech tracing wires in the dash and that they have been working on the car since this morning trying to find the problem???? :unsure:

Any ideas????

Thanks in advance...... B)

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    congrats! i suppose that makes you hycamguy07 instead then, eh? :p

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I can't speak to the A/C question. Perhaps it's a settings thing.

In the meantime, welcome to PriusChat.
    You might want to check out one of Danny's newer projects, http://www.hybridchat.com and someone over there might be able to shed some light on the A/C.

Drive Hybrid
    Drive Happy

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Mar 12 2007, 10:17 AM) [snapback]404213[/snapback]</div>
    Please note that hycamguy07 is the new monicer for priusguy04...perhaps you should put that in your sig for a while hycamguy

5. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Mar 12 2007, 12:29 PM) [snapback]404217[/snapback]</div>
    Will do.. :)

PS. Kudos to Galaxee for the name change Idea.... :)

6. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Mar 11 2007, 08:32 PM) [snapback]404006[/snapback]</div>
    Mine doesn't do that. Each side holds independent temps admirably with good distribution in Auto mode.

Any chance the A/C sensor on top of the dash near the base of the windshield is blocked or dirty?

7. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(amped @ Mar 12 2007, 03:46 PM) [snapback]404307[/snapback]</div>
    I'll have to check that out, the dual ac is sweet. I even turned off the ac but it still continued to blow HOT.
    I did ask the dealer if the car was made in Ky or where, they advised its an imported from Japan model..

8. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hycamguy07 @ Mar 12 2007, 12:58 PM) [snapback]404313[/snapback]</div>
    Hmm, maybe the "Defrost" push button switch in on? That automatically directs warmed, conditioned air toward the windshield and feet, but switching the A/C off would make it hot.

Anyway, congrats on your Black Beauty. It's a great color for HyCam, very luxurious looking and sets off the wheels nicely. You can see where it was made on the driver's side B-pillar label. My new one is from Kentucky and I see no difference in quality, fit and finish between it and my previous Japan built HyCam.

9. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(amped @ Mar 12 2007, 04:56 PM) [snapback]404334[/snapback]</div>
    Well I took it back to the dealer, I was chuckling as the service guy was groaning that the air was so hot.. Then they nooticed the front speakers where rattling...... :(

So they gave a a loaner standard cam to use until wednesday.... ;)

10. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hycamguy07 @ Mar 12 2007, 12:58 PM) [snapback]404313[/snapback]</div>
    That's easy to double check. What is the first character of the VIN, J or 1?

11. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I edited the 1st post...

I had checked the defroster button & the sensor on the dash nothing wrong there.

The edited post has more info..

The salesman called me to day to inquire about the car, I explained what was up. He said he was very sorry for the problem. I told him it wasnt his fault, he said if we continued to have problems to bring the car back and they would work something out.... (I was very impressed) :)

Just waiting for the dealer to call, that has the car to find out whats up..... :unsure:

12. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    hycamguy, were you using the eco a/c mode at the time? did it stay hot until the ICE kicked off or was there any time when the ICE was on and it blew cool air?

another thought... how hot is it outside down there? maybe the nice cool air made the warm air coming in seem hotter than it really was and it was just the a/c shutting down? not that that's acceptable, of course, but trying to speculate what's going on here.

13. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Mar 14 2007, 12:25 AM) [snapback]405170[/snapback]</div>
    At the dealership the ICE turned on and the air was cool, the ECO mode was not on at the time, I pushed the button the see if it worked/as it might have had something to do with the problem but no changes happened..

I did think it was strange that if you stopped the car, it would start blowing cooler until it was nice and cold but as soon as you put it in drive and started the ice it would turn hot.. I really was looking for the flames to appear from the vents.... :mellow:

The outside air temp was a muggy 72

14. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Dealer called today, Oh Boy! :angry:

Seems they found the problem with my 07....

When they hooked up the sat system friedout some wires that control the AC so its not covered under warranty.. OMFG!!!

15. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hycamguy07 @ Mar 14 2007, 10:21 AM) [snapback]405320[/snapback]</div>
    I agree. Sorry. :(

16. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hycamguy07 @ Mar 14 2007, 09:21 AM) [snapback]405320[/snapback]</div>
    guess whose problem that is? whoever hooked up your satellite.

don't let yourself think you're going to have to pay for that :blink:

17. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not covered by warranty...if they did the install and did a bad job of it then it's their responsibility to fix it...there's really no gray area. If YOU had installed the satellite and did it wrong and fried the AC wires then it would be your fault. This is the responsibility of the installer to cover all damages...whether under warranty or not.

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    oh boy... at least you found the issue.

19. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The Plot Thickens:

Ok David Mause Toyota calls me this morning and telles me the Sirus system when it was installed was tapped into the AC system. Tus its not covered under warranty.... Please bring back the loaner car as they are not paying for me to use it.... :blink: :angry:

I get to DMT walk in and get the service mgr.. I explain that the car had the sat system already installed and it shows it as a option.... He said he was really sorry but I would need to take the car back to the other dealer and ethier let them fix or have the car replaced with another one.. :blink: :huh: :unsure:

I ask him what he meant by REPLACEMENT? This car has 20 miles on the odo.... He said they could not fix the problem and that again he was sorry..

Sooo 45 mins later I arrive at Central Florida Toyota in Kissimmee Fl (where I purchased the car) the service guy takes me straight the the service mgr. I explain what the other dealer said He looked at me and asked why didnt they fix the problem and just bill this dealership.

20mins later the Mgr came to me and walked me out to my car in the service area and showed me what the problem was.. It was not the Sat install but rather a control box that had malfunctioned/ shorted out it controls the on/off ac & def & heat.. and it was stuck on full heat even though the a/c was on it would just override into heat....

The Mgr said they had to order the part and they would give me another loaner car free of charge until my car is fixed....

The Mgr still couldnt understand why DMT didnt find the problem, as it was the control box and there was nothing wrong with the wiring, they explained the Sat system was properly installed..

Well I walked out and left, feeling better than I did this morning.. :)
    But also feeling that DMT possibly wasnt being truthful about the problem or somones lying somewere..
    <_<

All I care about is getting the car back in good working order.. ;)

20. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, Oh, Oh....can I play "Guess which dealer hycamguy will never use again??"!!!!

That's just F'd up man. It took the second dealer what, 15 minutes to figure it out? Just plain scary.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hycamguy07 @ Mar 14 2007, 04:11 PM) [snapback]405639[/snapback]</div>