1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'07-Integrity OEM-Tread Wear

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dorf, Apr 15, 2008.

1. dorf

dorf Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    1st tire Rotation at 4558 miles, and checked the wear (with tread depth gage).

RF switched to RR tread depth was 6/32 in.

So....I'm assuming that the RF is the drive wheel?

The other 3 were ,7 to 8/32 in.

Thats allot of wear in such a short time. New tires come with 10/32 tread.

Comments...please.

Thanks !!!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The original equipment tires are barely adequate; the sooner you get rid of them the happier you will be.

I got rid of the Goodyear Integrity tires on my HiHy 4WD-i at 6K miles; was planning a winter snow trip and did not trust those tires to have adequate traction.

3. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've only rotated mine once at 15,000 miles. This was my first winter with them and they were good in the snow for most of it but when I got to about 22,000 - 23,000 miles they got to the point where they were pretty inadequate in the snow. I am now already at 29,000 miles now and I can see the wear bars on all four of the tires meaning it is time to start thinking about getting a new set of tires real soon.

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Tire inflation pressure is quite important in Prius. Any idea what yours have been at, especially on the front? The suspension alignment might be off as well, but fix the easy stuff first.

After you have the car set up correctly, I anticipate you will find tread wear LF>RF>>RR>LR.

I should not want to vouch for the superior quality of the Prius original tires (in any model year), but many people seem to find a way to squeeze 30k miles out of them. You can put some effort into optimizing the remaining tread depth, if you choose.

On the other hand, the most expensive tires could scarely cost 1 penny per mile more than the cheapest, so I would hate to argue against that.

5. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have over 57,000 on the original Goodyears, mostly dry LA freeway, since new Jan. 06. I think the tires look pretty good. Being lazy, I only do the rotations at 10K, every other oil change. I should easily see 60K out of them. I run about 40/38 TP when I feel like checking them. My Impraza got over 75,000 on a set of Goodyear Eagles, and our Outback is on its second set of Micheleins, over 40k for the OEMs + 77K on the Costco replacements.

I guess I've been easy on tires, though I do keep an eye on pressures.

I'd like to try something new, but my thrifty self has a hard time changing tires that still work OK.

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Truly amazing...have you recently checked the tread depth on each tire?

7. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    they must have some nice smooth roads in his area. Half the roads out here is this really cheap method of dumping a little bit of tar on the road and then steam rolling some small gravel on top of it.

8. klownjo

klownjo New Member

Hi
    Ive got a 2005 prius with all possible extras on it. Had to replace tires at 36,000 miles on it.
    got Pirelli all season p-5 tires on it and have made 5 trips from CT. SC. best move i could have made. these tires hug road better and especially great water and hydroplaining.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your freeways must be smooth as heck. Mine wore out at 60,000km (granted, I do mostly city driving). TP were 40/38.

10. ruggb

ruggb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    dorf
    seems like I checked mine when it was new and was surprised to see only 9/32 tread.
    Most new tires I have checked have 11/32 not 10.

I could be wrong, I wrote it down somewhere but can't find it.
    but that is what I am remembering.

11. CBarr31

CBarr31 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have been wanting to post on tires for awhile so here goes.

My 2006 Prius was 2 years old on 3/28/08 and currently has 104,538 miles so yeah I drive A LOT.

My stock integreties lasted 76,480 miles and I ran them at 36 PSI the whole way around. One thing that is a must is to rotate them frequently and get a 4-Wheel Alignment check every 10-15,000 miles.

I rotate my tires every oil change at 5,000 miles and get my alignment checked every 3rd oil change. When you get you alignment check asked for the computer printout for your records. They usually show all four tires with something highlighted in red when it was out of alignment and now in green being in alignment. Without the printout you don't really know what was in and what was out.

If you keep these records and say your right front is always "out of alignment" it could be you hit a common pot hole on that side or something is wrong with the caster or something else with the tire. So, keep or at least look at your alignment records.

Now, why do you need to do alignment checks so often? No, I don't work for Toyota. Prii are setup to be as low profile and as aerodynamic as possible. Which translates into being very suspectible to being thrown out of alignment by hitting curbs, large pot holes, or other "bumps" in the road.

As a matter of fact you don't even have to hit anything to throw them out of alignment. When my fiancee bought her 2007 Prius Touring Edition I made them check the alignment on it and swap out the Integrities before we bought it. The car had 6 miles on it at the dealership and BOTH front tires were out of alignment.

We talked to a couple of people and they said "Yeah, it's a good idea to always to have any new car's alignment checked when you buy it. They have a tendency to get jerked around on the haulers. Especially the Prii."

Now, onto tires. After doing much research on this website, tirerack.com and others. I went with Michelin Harmony's and went up in size to the 195/60R over the stock 185/65R. I did notice a slight mileage hit but the tire is FAR superior to the stock in all aspects, will last FOREVER and is much much more stable in crosswinds because of the extra width.

On my finacee's touring edition, we had them also put on Michelin Harmony tires and upped them to the 205/60R size. Her Prius is even more stable than mine but has taken even more of a mileage hit. The Touring Editions simply can't run as well as the "Standard" Prius in my opinion. And she doesn't have as much practice maximizing fuel mileage as I do :)

I have to keep track of my mileage for work so know exactly that I have got 47.92 MPG over that 99,000 miles. Since the Harmony's went on in winter there might not be any hit on MPG at all come summer time.

My fiancee's touring is averging around 44 MPG.

Well, that is my $0.02 worth. I hope it helps someone out there in Prii Land :)

12. CBarr31

CBarr31 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have been wanting to post on tires for awhile so here goes.

My 2006 Prius was 2 years old on 3/28/08 and currently has 104,538 miles so yeah I drive A LOT.

My stock integreties lasted 76,480 miles and I ran them at 36 PSI the whole way around. One thing that is a must is to rotate them frequently and get a 4-Wheel Alignment check every 10-15,000 miles.

I rotate my tires every oil change at 5,000 miles and get my alignment checked every 3rd oil change. When you get you alignment check asked for the computer printout for your records. They usually show all four tires with something highlighted in red when it was out of alignment and now in green being in alignment. Without the printout you don't really know what was in and what was out.

If you keep these records and say your right front is always "out of alignment" it could be you hit a common pot hole on that side or something is wrong with the caster or something else with the tire. So, keep or at least look at your alignment records.

Now, why do you need to do alignment checks so often? No, I don't work for Toyota. Prii are setup to be as low profile and as aerodynamic as possible. Which translates into being very suspectible to being thrown out of alignment by hitting curbs, large pot holes, or other "bumps" in the road.

As a matter of fact you don't even have to hit anything to throw them out of alignment. When my fiancee bought her 2007 Prius Touring Edition I made them check the alignment on it and swap out the Integrities before we bought it. The car had 6 miles on it at the dealership and BOTH front tires were out of alignment.

We talked to a couple of people and they said "Yeah, it's a good idea to always to have any new car's alignment checked when you buy it. They have a tendency to get jerked around on the haulers. Especially the Prii."

Now, onto tires. After doing much research on this website, tirerack.com and others. I went with Michelin Harmony's and went up in size to the 195/60R over the stock 185/65R. I did notice a slight mileage hit but the tire is FAR superior to the stock in all aspects, will last FOREVER and is much much more stable in crosswinds because of the extra width.

On my finacee's touring edition, we had them also put on Michelin Harmony tires and upped them to the 205/60R size. Her Prius is even more stable than mine but has taken even more of a mileage hit. The Touring Editions simply can't run as well as the "Standard" Prius in my opinion. And she doesn't have as much practice maximizing fuel mileage as I do :)

I have to keep track of my mileage for work so know exactly that I have got 47.92 MPG over that 99,000 miles. Since the Harmony's went on in winter there might not be any hit on MPG at all come summer time.

My fiancee's touring is averging around 44 MPG.

Well, that is my $0.02 worth. I hope it helps someone out there in Prii Land :)