1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'07 Left Side "Clunk" when hit sharp bump

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dorf, Nov 10, 2008.

1. dorf

dorf Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've noticed a 'Clunk " eminating from the left side(since new) seems like it is comming from the drivers door when hitting a sharp bump.Seems to be getting worse.

Sounds like bottle thumping against a metal pail.....

Any suggestions to the source ???

10,000.0 miles on car.

Thanks

2. jdchappie

jdchappie JD on RR2

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    You might check the plastic panel that runs the length of the doors. It's about a foot wide and secured by plastic nuts. The panels tend to collect dust and dirt which makes them sag and possibly bang off the floorboards.

I drive 20 miles if dirt and mud a day which fills them till they sag and then it's time to clean the dirt out.

Worth a quick look. Jerry

3. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Take it back to the dealer. It's still under warranty.

4. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Seems to me that something turned loose near the window glass assembly inside driver's door.
    Same answer as the above - go back to dealer for warranty repair.

5. dorf

dorf Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Jerry......jdchappie....I think you solved my problem noise.

Please tell me more about those plastic panels.

I saw the plastic nuts and it seems like they don't hold the whole assembly absoutely tight(up against the body). Parts of it (front and back) move and tap tap up against the floor boards...like you said.

Why not just take 'em off...what's their purpose ????

I haven't had a chance to drive it yet but I sort of weged the floppy parts so they won't move.

I just went ont and did some more checking while car is in the garage and looked under neath with a mirror and flashlight. One of the plastic nuts is a #12 and the rest are #10 metric. One was loose and the front one just spins-not tightening anything(but it is not loose?)

I guess the easiest thing would be to, pull it down, and just replace all of the plastic nuts.

What do you do ?????

Thanks !!!