1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

07 Not powering up

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SuperDave, Feb 23, 2020.

1. SuperDave

SuperDave Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Looking for ideas from our experienced troubleshooters.

I have a rough 07 that I picked up cheap to part out or sell complete. I have not heard it run, and would like to get it going to help sell it or parts. This said.

The car went into a local small repair shop because it would not power up and start all the time and then stopped all together. The shop thought it was the combo (dash display) meter as it did not light up and replaced it with another, and nothing changed. The customer then turned the car over to the shop for the bill, and then I got it from them.

The car will not power up, meaning nothing happens when to attempt the start it. No dash lights, No clicks sounds from the back, No multi display (radio, windows, turn signals etc.). The only things that will light up on the dash are the security key symbol and the flashers when pressed.

As I said nothing powers up or lights up on the dash area. The door open light does not light up but the interior lights will light up and work. I have headlights, tail lights and brake lights, and door locks.

What I have checked so far.
    Good 12 volt battery. (first thing I checked)
    Key fob good, as it will lock and unlock doors fine.
    am1 and am2 fuses good. (and I have 12v at the fuses)
    Ig1 and ig2 relays check good.
    Power source ECU replaced with another, said to be good from parted out car.
    Start stop button checked good.
    Park button checked good.

I am looking for suggestions from the experienced troubleshooters in this area to help point me as to what to check or try next. Thanks in advance.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what does the good 12v measure at the jump point after the car has been off a few hours

edthefox5, Raytheeagle and SFO like this.
  3. SuperDave

SuperDave Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    12.6-7 for days.

bisco likes this.
  4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The hv battery might be drained/discharged. But I would first check if the orange interlock switch is locked into place (on the hv battery). If it's not locked, the car won't start.

5. SuperDave

SuperDave Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes the HV battery is charged, and the interlock is latched. Even when the HV batteries are low and or the interlock switch is unlocked, the system will still power up just not start.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Replacing the ECU requires some initialization if I remember correctly. Try calling Matt and texashybridbatteries.com, I think he can run you through the initialization after the ECU replacement.

7. SuperDave

SuperDave Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I will give him a call tomorrow Thanks.

8. SuperDave

SuperDave Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I called and talked with Matt at Texas hybrid batteries, he was very helpful and took the time to discuss my problem. The power source ECU does not require anything additional to make it work.

Matt was very helpful, but unfortunately has not encountered the issue that I am having.

I will say that my being involved with High end racing (many forms) and automatic transmission repair for nearly 40 years, a person can quickly spot a talker or interweb know it all. Matt is really a good guy and knows this stuff with these cars, If you are in his area or are ever in need of his services get in touch with him.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, he gets a lot of recommendations around here, along with several others

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Everything except how many miles on the car?

Its throwing alot of codes. Get a hybrid capable obd code reader. It will tell you exactly why its unhappy.

Get a dc voltmeter. With the car OFF measure the voltage at the front jump point. Then with car still OFF turn on the head lights in high beam. With high beam on what do these 2 read?
    With car still off Leave the high beams on for exactly 5 mins. Then turn them off what does it read then?

also test this with foot off the brake push the start button once. Does the dash come on? Thats accessory.

Then with foot off brake push the start button twice. Does the dash come on? Thats ignition.

lastly remove the 2 wires from the 12 volt battery assy one is thick black wire (thats the wire that goes to the front jump point) the other is smaller black wire. Unclick there white connectors on top of the 12 volt battery plus post and pull them out. There under the little red cap.

Wait 5 mins then reconnect them this basically reboots the car and if the hybrid battery is throwing a ground fault nag it will temp reset that.

And lastly take off the drivers side smaller cover on the hybrid battery and inside the hybrid battery what is the voltage across the battery side of the relay? Should be at least 220 volts dc.

11. SuperDave

SuperDave Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The car has 220K which should have no bearing on this issue.

I have been all over the car for days with a 12v volt meter and the 12v is good every place I have checked. My experience with these cars (nearly 15 years) is that many times even when the 12v battery (or 12v supply) is low, the car will power up (just not completely start the car) or at least to attempt to power up. I have not gotten a single dash light or display to light up with the exception of the security light and flashers.

I will try the reset that you suggested, however I have had the battery unhooked which should have reset things.

As I learned a few years back The HV traction battery can be low or have the safety unlatched, unhooked or even have the entire battery out and on the work bench and the car will power up, just not procced and start. This is not a battery issue 12v or HV.