1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

07 prius "cannot change to EV mode now"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by olg, Aug 5, 2014.

1. olg

olg New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hi I'm new in these forums and just recently bought a 2007 priuswith 77k miles and really love it and just 3 days ago installed the EV switch (manual button, not the coastal one) because of my plans to get it to plug in in the near future, and it worked very nice untill today. No matter what i do and when i press it, it just keeps saying "Cannot change to ev mode now" doesnt matter if i push it before the ICE warmup or after. its in the range where it should be working like plenty of battery, not pushing the accelerator at any time, under 34mph, and not while the ICE is running....it was in the mid 80's today which is cooler than last 2 days. I'm just not sure what to do anymore...I do have a check engine light on for 02 sensor but it has been on since i bought the car. Any help would be greatly apreciated!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Try it in the morning when the car is warmed up. The hv battery temperature maybe too hot in the middle of the day, won't let you get into ev mode.

You knowingly bought a car with a check engine light on?

3. olg

olg New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yes i bought the prius from a friend and knew that light was there

4. olg

olg New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Also i just tried ev mode in the morning and it worked. So that means the hv battery was too hot or inverter. How can i check and fix it?

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The battery is too hot. You can't fix it, it's doing what is suppose to do. Ev mode is not really a mode to drive in, simply used to move your car a very short distance. Like out of your driveway and into the street.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check the battery cooling fan.

7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is nothing for you to fix, the HSD is programmed to look after itself, and the behaviour you described in normal.

I'm inferring from your posts that you have installed the EV switch so you can drive your Prius on electric as much as possible. If this is the case you need to stop doing this now or risk prematurely killing your HV battery. The EV switch should be used very sparingly and for things like moving your car from the driveway into the garage or vis versa; or a short distance in a covered car park.

The Prius is not an EV, it is a hybrid and trying to drive it like an EV will not only possibly damage your HV battery (by prematurely ageing it) but will more than likely result in a poor MPG over the long run.

The same goes for trying to "force" the car to drive on just the electric motor when it would rather use the ICE and electric or just the ICE on its own. My experience is that you can seldom do better than the HSD. Hypermiling techniques excepted.

I'm sure you will have questions, so please ask and I and others here can answer them for you.

8. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I do not suggest converting your Prius to a plug-in (as a matter of fact, I highly discourage it).

The Prius is not a good candidate for EV conversion for many reasons.
    1) It is designed as a gasoline (primary) car with electric assist. It is for this reason that the electric motors do not have enough power to safely propel the car. With electric mode only, the car is really underpowered and not safe to drive on the streets
    2) The Prius has advanced, high-tech monitoring systems (called ECU's) that all work together to make this engineering marvel work. Adding more battery capacity requires modifying what one ECU sees which causes multiple problems with other ECU's.

There are other numerous reasons why the Prius shouldn't be converted unless you're going to gut the HSD and add an electric drive system that can handle the requirements. The stock Prius electrical system cannot handle the requirements on its own. It needs the gas engine and the gas engine needs the electrical system. They have a symbiotic relationship.

9. olg

olg New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Ok, also all i used the ev mode was just for
    Very small movements like around a small parking lot or my yard and nothing that will drain more than two bars on the screen. And also the plug in that i was interested in was that enginer which just supplements power to the stock battery right? I didn't see any harm in that. ... just better mpg's

10. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well, Enginer plug in conversion is the least intrusive and therefore the safest but, its also the conversion that gives you the least benefit in mpg. There are also numerous problems with it as well.

11. taylor_priusII

taylor_priusII New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    "...to make this engineering marvel work."

Prius and engineering marvel should never be used together in the same sentence....unless you were being sarcastic.

12. alexeft

alexeft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A