1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

07 Prius MIA

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by starletta8, Jun 5, 2007.

1. starletta8

starletta8 New Member

I've been wanting to buy a Prius for a few years. but my old car has worked well and the financing wasn't there. I finally decided to get a Prius and for a day or so everything sounded great. That was six weeks ago.

I visited 5 dealerships over a couple of months and settled on one that was large yet I knew people who previously had good experiences with them. My appologies that I wish to keep many of the specifics under wraps, but I do not have a car and am still waiting for the situation to be resolved. I negotiated a fabulous deal for a 2007 with package 6. The dealership didn't have any, but found more than 10 in the computer and assured me I'd get my car.

I was promised a car by the end of the week. That passed, no word. I started calling until I got some answers after 10 days had passed. Evidently the dealership had decided that it wasn't necessary to update me. They had been refused by the first 2, then heard they were getting the same exterior #6 in two weeks, but with a different interior. So, they ceased working to find the car I wanted (and agreed to), and decided that this other car would be mine. Keep in mind, I was very clear that I would change exterior over interior and would never accept the interior being forced upon me at this point. I would've preferred a simple phone call at this point.

I feel like I've been backed into a wall and reluctantly say I'll take this car I don't want- supposedly to be there in 10 days. Those pass, no word. I keep calling and calling. It's been delayed, they'll let me know when it makes it into the country. Long story short, they lie about importation date and cause me to change travel plans twice to be around for their timeframe where they insist they will have the car. I've been calling almost daily- and they keep saying "later this week, definately." Finally, someone admitted that they've "lost" the car. It's the dealership's, but they don't know what happened to it or if I'll be getting it this month (two calendar months after I was promised the car in the first place!) I was called a couple of days ago with a supposed VIN- can I check that somewhere and see if it's real? (My hunch said they lied again about the importation date.)

I've basically run the gambit of emotions over the past six weeks. I was so excited to finally be buying my first new car that's in my name and is exactly what I want. I've been jumping every time the phone rings and moving around my work schedule to possibly suit the dealer. But now I've had enough and I'm frustrated and upset over the situation.

Without giving the name of the dealership, do you all think I'm being jerked around? Can a dealership really "lose" a car? I'd gotten a great deal and want to stick by it, but I don't want a year-old car if it doesn't come in soon.

Thanks...

2. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(starletta8 @ Jun 5 2007, 05:43 PM) [snapback]456014[/snapback]</div>
    Answer to the first question: Yes. Answer to the second: I don't know. My suspicion is that "losing" the car is related to your "great deal." Someone with an inferior deal may be getting your car.

I'd walk away and find another dealer.

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    starletta8, I believe it is time to follow the advice in this thread: http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=34238&hl=. It sounds like the dealer has enough customers willing to pay more for "your" car or "your" car never really existed. Here's a story: Customer gives salesman the specs--what is and is not acceptable. Salesman tells customer there are cars on the lot that match. Salesman walks customer all over lot hoping customer will break down and buy what they have. Customer knows salesman is huge sleaze bag when overhead telling Sales Manager, "I can't get him to take a sunroof". Customer is happy the dealership went out of business.

4. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Unless you put down a deposit or signed a contract, I would forget this dealer and go looking for another car.

As a data point on price, I bought a Package #6 car with a MSRP (sticker) price of $29,5xx (don't remember exact price) for $26,532. This was in Feb, there were several cars on the lot and at least a couple of others with the same ext/int colors.

Find a dealer that has the color and interior you want, and then offer the same price you negotiated with the MIA dealer. The worst they could do is say no.

5. starletta8

starletta8 New Member

Thanks for the advice.

I did put down a small downpayment already to hold the car, and they keep pressuring me to come in and start payments on a car that I don't have! I told them I'd start monthly payments and give the rest of the downpayment once they produced a car. No car, no more money. I have already put down more than what they require to hold a car.

My deal was simply MSRP, the accessories deal that was floating around, and a good trade-in. I was able to get good value for my trade-in, and it was enough not to make me sell the car on its own. I negotiated the trade-in up to the full Blue Book I should get for a trade-in to a dealer. So it wasn't like I was getting a real steal. Supposedly they do have a place for my car though with another used car vendor already and they want it.

Is there anywhere that I can check this VIN they just told me is supposedly the car? I'm not exactly trusting them at this point- and won't until I can actually get into and drive my car.

I was updating a relative on the situation and he actually joked that the tractor trailer could've been waylayed somewhere and the cars stolen from it. I highly doubt that, though.