1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

07 Prius on hold at dealer, have some questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mindcrime67, May 30, 2007.

1. mindcrime67

mindcrime67 New Member

I have a 07 Prius on hold, base with Option 4 package. I'm trading in a 2004 Acura TL so going from luxury sedan to prius but I never drive my TL much, 17,500 miles on it in 3 years so time to cash out and get something more economical.

So with that in mind I have a few questions before I pull the triger on the Prius.

1.) I see posts about driving Prius in the snow. I live in Colorado so snow will come into play. I would put 4 Bridgestone Blizzaks on the Prius from Oct-end of April. 4 snows seem to do the trick on any car, even rear wheel drive. Any real snow experiences with Prius and 4 snow tires? I have read about the traction issue but honestly my TL does the same thing. I have regular tires on my TL so when there is a good bit of snow I can floor the TL and it will just sit there and inch forward due to the traction control. I expect the Prius issue is the same as the TL and its just part of the traction trying to work with terrible tires. Any thoughts?

2.) I see a lot of posts with people who traded 20K something car for the prius and are happy. Any folks who traded more expensive lux type car for a prius? Thoughts on how you feel giving up your lux car for the Prius.

3.) Gas is just part of my decision, I don't drive a whole lot but hope to drive more and park my wifes SUV on trips. If gas was not a big part of your decision would you still be happy with your prius choice?

4.) Rebates- any issues with the fed tax rebates? Any weird laws such as min tax based on what you make or you make too much so you don't get the tax credit? Anyone from Colorado have issues getting the 3K credit from the state?

Thanks so much.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'll answer the snow question. We run Micheline MXV4+ Energy all season tires and our Prius does fine with our Michigan winters. Running real snow tires will only make yours better, so you should be in good shape unless you try to use your Prius as a snow cat.

Tom

3. 1x1

1x1 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Can't answer your questions as mine's still on hold also, but I am in Denver. If you've put money down to hold it, you've already bitten the bullet. If you haven't put money down, I'd check that you are actually on hold at all.

I've been told it'll be 8 to 12 weeks before my white one gets here and it was $1000 to hold it. I bit the bullet as most local (st)dealers are now charging MSRP and I locked in at x over invoice.

4. MickeyA

MickeyA New Member

My friend bought an Aston Martin Vantage in April.
    I just bought the Prius this past Sunday.

My car has rearview camera, push button start, 50+ mpg, Toyota reliability.

My friend really think i have a better car. Every time he rides in my car & then gets into his & cranks up the engine, he feels like he took a step back in time.

5. mindcrime67

mindcrime67 New Member

I have one on hold at boulder toyota with $500 refundable deposit down. They want me to pick it up tomorrow 5/31 so they get the sale in by end of month. Its a seaside blue base with option 4. The touring is very hard to find but the base models are around. There are a few at Stevenson as well.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(1x1 @ May 30 2007, 11:08 PM) [snapback]452501[/snapback]</div>

6. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Are you not going to take a huge hit on an Acura that new?? What about selling the Acura yourself if they are not dealing on Prius at this time?

7. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

we traded in an acura MDX for our prius.... it's only been a week... but we're VERY happy so far! the difference in what we spend in gas is HUGE! and makes it worth it..... the prius has a lot of niceties.... sure i miss a few things (most especially the self adjusting seats)

8. mindcrime67

mindcrime67 New Member

Not a big hit on the TL, pretty much as expected for a 3 year old car. I paid 33K for the car and they offered just over 21K for it. I only owe 3k on it so I net 18,200 on the car which is close to what I put down on the TL.

quote name='priusmaybe' date='May 30 2007, 11:29 PM' post='452514']
    Are you not going to take a huge hit on an Acura that new?? What about selling the Acura yourself if they are not dealing on Prius at this time?
    [/quote]

9. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The one thing I really don't like on my Prius #3 is the fabric seats. It is awful. I will be getting leather if I keep this car after one year.

10. MyPria

MyPria New Member

I live in Colorado Springs and have a 2006 with Michelin X ice snow tires. It goes like a trooper. The only problem is when the snow is very deep. I don't take it out until the snow plows come because I don't think it can clear deep snow. I had a small problem on my driveway with the traction control. My driveway is very steep and once when it was icy and I was trying to go up, the Prius just stopped like it died. It wouldn't move at all. I had to turn it off then back on and then go into reverse. When I went up the second time, I went faster and it went right up. This only has happened once.

I love my Prius. My previous cars were a BMW X5 and a BMW 325IC. I wouldn't go back to the beamers for anything. The Prius is a kick to drive. Hope this info helps your decision.

PS- I got the Colorado tax break. No problem. I didn't get the federal at all. Alternate minimum tax took care of that.

11. mindcrime67

mindcrime67 New Member

Thanks for the reply. I had a 2000 BMW 323i before my TL so I've done the nice sedan thing for some time and just feel ready to move on and just get from point A to B. With a wife and son at home the savings will be nice.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MyPria @ May 30 2007, 11:50 PM) [snapback]452531[/snapback]</div>

12. 1x1

1x1 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks mindcrime67!

13. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< Something to consider = Prius TPMS (Tire Pressure Maintenance System). Sensors are mounted INSIDE the rims at the base of the valve stem and could be damaged by careless tire switching as for your winter snow tires. Replacing a damaged sensor is expensive ($200- $250 I believe) and also requires a new sensor be 'registered' with the Prius on-board computer by a Toyota dealer. It would be advisable to deal with a tire shop who can be cautioned and even supervised when switching out tires.

Just a 'heads up.'

14. thebrattygurl

thebrattygurl New Member

I traded in my fully loaded, super luxurious Acura MDX for a fully loaded 07 Touring Prius, and I love it. The Prius is a great little car.

I won't lie...I do miss my MDX, but I wouldn't go back to it.

15. mhawkin1

mhawkin1 Matt

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I have an 07 Prius and love it. My best friend has an 05 TL and loves it. You are going to get ripped at the dealer when you trade - the Prius is not 1/2 the car the TL is... which is why it is half the price. With as much as you drive I would absolutely keep the TL.... it will last forever.

16. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mindcrime67 @ May 30 2007, 08:55 PM) [snapback]452472[/snapback]</div>
    Looks like it's my job for #4. If you search for form 8910 you should find a ton of real life experiences. First, it is a federal tax credit. Second, you will have to complete two additional forms in your 2007 1040. The credit is subject to TMT (Tentative Minimum Tax) so members have received everything from full credit to $0.

Take your 2006 tax software and plug in your estimates for 2007 income, deductions, and credits. (Or use 2006's figures). Include the $787.50 credit and see what happens.

There is plenty of information here and on the IRS web site so there shouldn't be any surprises for 2007.

17. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thebrattygurl @ May 31 2007, 01:47 PM) [snapback]452810[/snapback]</div>
    from what i've seen on these forums... a lot of us traded in mdx's for priuses! lol! ya...... i loved that car/suv.... but the gas was killing us!

18. b777

b777 New Member

Why don't you join COSTCO if one is in the area and use their buying program to locate and buy a car at dealer invoice plus 2%. Toyoto of Grapevine Texas has a good supply of cars and takes the Costco buying program. They were very nice and I bought a 2007 option 6 white/leather and it also came with tinted windows and pin stripes. Costco even has a live person you can talk to if needed. I didn't use them this time since I have another program through the credit Union that is the same, but next time I certainly will.

19. sparkstack

sparkstack Car Addict.

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    First post, long time lurker..

I traded in my loaded 07 VW GTI for an 07 PKG 4 Prius last week and I couldn't be happier. Sure i miss the speed of the GTI, and the height adjustable seat / tilt & reach steering wheel but thats it.

I don't think you will regret it..

20. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't know if I understand the definition of "luxury car". I think the Pius IS a luxurious car. Lots of gadgets, and if you don't get leather seats, you can add aftermarket leather with heaters and adjustable lumbar support. I gues not having a seat height ajustment is a small problem.

I told someone that I bought my Prius as a Midlife Crisis Car, and they suggested only a Lexus or Acura could be a Mid Life Crisis Car. Well, I don't get that, so please leave me in my ignorant bliss.