1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'07 prius shudders while at stoplight (and other ?s)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by akorovesis, Mar 22, 2007.

1. akorovesis

akorovesis New Member

i just got an '07 prius, and i love the car more each day, but was wondering, is it normal for the car to shudder for a few secs when you're at a stoplight? it seems to me the engine is already disengaged and running on the battery, so i don't know if its normal or not for the car to shudder/shake a bit after its stopped for a couple of seconds. is this just something i've gotta get used to? i've also noticed the car moves a bit sometimes when i power it up. i haven't put the parking break on--do i need to do that to eliminate any movement while starting it? and finally, the sound from the engine of like a motor running when its shut off is normal, right? i know the owners manual says it will make noises, but i have no clue what constants a normal noise from the engine and what doesn't.
    thanks!!!!

2. wilcocoop

wilcocoop New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gonegreen @ Mar 22 2007, 11:15 AM) [snapback]410214[/snapback]</div>
    I have the same issue with Two 2004 Prius. It feels like either the electric motor or gas engine are still trying to drive the vehicle forward or like the transmission is engaging and disengaging while you're stopped at the light.

Does anyone else know if this is worth being concerned about or just normal behavior?
    Thanks in advance for any information.

3. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It's just the engine shutting off. It's most noticable during the warm up period just after starting the car. Once the engine is warmed up, it shuts off much smoother. Also, once the engine is warmed up, it usually shuts off as you are decelerating for the stop light, but when the engine is cold, it waits a couple of seconds after you stop before it shuts off.

4. isaac.stewart

isaac.stewart New Member

I find that when I am at a cold stop, the shuddering is usually because (I assume) the HSD can't figure out whether or not it wants to turn back on.

5. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< Here's an idea...

You may be exerting a little pressure on the accellerator pedal and/or not pressing the brake {not break!} pedal hard enough. If you will switch the MFD to the "Energy Monitor" {that displays arrows showing the power flow} and pull to a stop you might see moving arrows from the BATTERY to the WHEELS, indicating that you don't have adequate pressure on the brake pedal. This simulates an ordinary automatic transmission's action to prevent drifting back as on a hill. The Prius electric motor does the same thing if the brakes aren't sufficiently engaged.

If you have your foot resting on the accellerator pedal, even with slight pressure, the electric motor will try to engage resulting in little 'jerks.'

Your Prius is unique in many ways... this is one of them.

ENJOY YOUR PRIUS

6. burns_fisher

burns_fisher Burns

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I don't believe the HSD "can't decide". The Prius is so well-designed, I don't believe that there is not sufficient hysteresis built in that the computer sticks with its decision once it is made.

The thing that explains the shudder (and this applies to the question of the car moving slightly as it starts) is that the geartrain on a Prius is NEVER "disconnected" in the same sense as a clutch. The engine, wheels/electric motor, and starter/generator are all connected to each other via a power split device. In order to send power from the engine to the wheels, the car must take power out of the generator. In order for the starter to turn the engine, the motor must hold the wheels in place.

All this required perfect balance and is most noticable if you are not moving. Thus, the engine shutting down or starting when you are not moving, and especially if you are not holding the brake down is noticable as a slight motion.

Another odd thing that happens sometimes when you stop is that the engine will shut down, but the starter motor will actually keep it turning. I assume this is to run the A/C. My experience with this mode is in the Prius classic. The newer Priuses have electric A/C and may not do this.

Anyway, I think that the answer is that slight motion and slight shuddering when the engine starts and stops is normal. You generally won't notice it much when you are moving.

(Long time Prius-owner, but new to this list)