1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

07 Prius, used, 83K? Good buy?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by mle10868, Jun 30, 2012.

1. mle10868

mle10868 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello!
    I'm currently in a bit of a jam. I was in an accident and my last car was totalled.
    I've been looking to buy a hybrid but of course can only buy used. I've read through lots of reaserch but, like most sales people, the sales person here doesnt know a whole lot about everything.

So I came to you guys!

I'm looking at a certified preowned 07 Prius with 83K on it. Its had four owners. Which scares me. I also want to make sure this car is going to last me a while. I would save LOADS on gas with my long commute in the AM. However, I also go home to NH in the winter and the idea of it driving poorly in snow is very scary!

I am going to ask to see the air filter, and I know it will need the PSD (?) fluid changed at 90K. It has a warranty on it until 100K, which with my commute is about a year.

My major concern is I am not a rich person, I do not want a car payment or to end up in the hop in six months with 2000 dollars worth of problems from the previous owner.

What else should I ask to look at and for 13900 is this a good buy?

2. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    $9,900 is a good buy. $11,900 is a fair price for a ONE owner car. For a base Prius without Navigation/extras you didn't say what trim level it has.

Those four previous owners also scare me and probably other buyers. You should be able to negotiate a better price.

It probably has a set of cheap tires that are not going to get the best mpg. My guess is in the low 40s.
    If it has the original 12 volt battery it needs to be replaced. The Prius has a special one that costs about $200.
    I believe the Inverter water pump has a recall on the 2007 Prius - was it replaced?

At 17k miles a year you might save 300 gal of gas a year over a 25 mpg Corolla. The Corolla costs about 3 to 4k less.
    So it might take 3 to 4 years before you REALLY save money.

Good Luck with whatever car you buy.

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Register the VIN at Toyota Owners Official Website: Service Coupons, Owners Manuals, Service Scheduling and More to see the dealer service history. 4 owners in 5 years or paperwork? In NJ a dealer takes title to a used car. I buy the car new (owner 1). I trade the car to a dealer (owner 2). Car is involved in a dealer trade (owner 3). Someone buys the car (owner 4). If it was leased there would be additional title transactions.

The option package is important.

The Prius isn't a snow plow. It does fine in a reasonable amount of snow, better with snow tires. NH had more snow on Halloween than all winter.

4. mle10868

mle10868 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks guys!
    It was actually on a 2 leases, and two dealers, so its only 4 owners on paperwork, thanks for bringing that to my attention. It is a base.

I'm buying from a Toyota dealer ( I realize I didn't mention that ). Before I decide I'll ask about these things and register the VIN.

13900 includes taxes and tags/etc. Its at about 12,300 before all that.

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If it doesn't have VSC it is a Package 1. If it does, then it is a Package 2. You should be happy with either car.

6. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

I do not know the market situation with Prii in your place, but 13900 seem too high for 80-k car with several owners.
    Keep searching !

- Alex