1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'07 Prius vrs Lexus ES330 ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dorf, Jul 6, 2007.

1. dorf

dorf Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Just my observation......

I haven't driven our Lexus in quite a while, so was surprised about the performance differences in both.

The One thing that impressed me about the Prius was the amount of continuous power that is always available, that is not available in the Lexus.

Of course the Lexus drives in 'overdrive' most of the time, but the oomph is not there, unless you really get on the throttle, then it just surpasses everything.

Nautrally the Lexus rides better than the Prius, but not much.

2. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    It's surprising to me to hear the number of owners who give up driving the "nice" car to use the Prius as the workhorse. Then when the time comes to replace the "nice" car, the move up is a..........Prius?

3. joe1347

joe1347 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dorf @ Jul 6 2007, 10:12 AM) [snapback]473956[/snapback]</div>
    Are you comparing the ride of the 'base' or Touring Edition Prius to the Lexus? I wonder is the Touring Edition significantly closes the gap?

4. dorf

dorf Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yep !Moved up to a Prius---Base car. Don't know about the Touring....

5. removeum

removeum Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    B) I currently have both 2007 Prius and a2007 RX 400h Lexus and I must agree they are both smooth with no shift shock.

6. joe1347

joe1347 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dorf @ Jul 6 2007, 08:21 PM) [snapback]474342[/snapback]</div>

Thanks. I suspect that I just need to get out and test drive a touring edition. Personally, I found the handling and ride on the base Prius a little too soft and uncontrolled, which along with the lack of power discouraged me from buying one about 2 years ago. However with the recently available touring edition, my opinion may change. At least regarding the handling, the lack of power (off the line) is just something that you have to accept. Of course, finding a used touring edition and with a decent discount is likely impossible. So, waiting for an 09 may make more sense.

7. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(joe1347 @ Jul 7 2007, 07:54 AM) [snapback]474566[/snapback]</div>
    I suspect you will like it. I actually found the Touring model a little too transmissive of the road, i.e. bumpy. But them I am used to driving a Camry, and I gettin' old, or at least my spine is. It did seem to handle somewhat more briskly.

8. zqfmbg

zqfmbg New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dorf @ Jul 6 2007, 07:12 AM) [snapback]473956[/snapback]</div>
    I take it the Lexus isn't CVT, in which case, the delay is because it has figure out you want it to downshift and then downshift.

My Prius is in the shop for routine maintenance and engine cover replacement (note to self: watch those concrete parking blocks!), so I drove my wife's Accord around yesterday. I distinctly remember a few times stepping on the gas and thinking "hey, why isn't it going?" just before it went. The more I drive the Prius the less I think I want to drive the Accord for my upcoming long road trip. :D

9. kermityfrog

kermityfrog New Member

Just want to share my feeling about driving these car regularly. I usually drives these to work/home. About 15miles each way. They do make difference in driving, cornering, acceleration, stopping, fuel, cost and service cost. My point is that each car has its characteristic and I always expect its to perform within its capability. I felt that the prius is somewhere between the lexus and matrix. (technology feature and cargo space) It is a versatile and good transportation for me.

This is not to compare which vehicle is better as some result i felt is pretty close and since there is not scientific measurement device. I just put it here base on my feeling.

I am comparing these car under normal driving behavior, no sudden acceleration or stopping, or cornering.
    All cars are stock wheel, engine, brakes and suspension. I am not a pro-driver nor have attended any driving school. But i do go to track occasionally to relief my work stress.

comparing:
    2006 Lexus IS350 (sport package), 2004 350Z convertible, 2002/3 toyota matrix xrs, 2007 prius touring.

Quietness: Lexus, prius, matrix, 350z (loudess)
    normal driving on local and highway. Interior noise is based on driving on local and highway. Side wind or acceleration.

Engine responsiveness: Lexus, 350z, matrix, prius.
    sudden acceleration to pass other cars or going up hill.

cornering: 350z, lexus, matrix, prius.
    The cornering of the 350z is remarkable, but the lexus is very close. I think this is because the gravity feel of sitting in these 2 cars where the 350z is much more lower. Maybe because of this, my feeling it is easier to control for its skid direction or fish-tailing.

Matrix has better skid behavior due to its body is shorter and have more power from the gas engine. Although the prius have touring suspension, it need a little more work to make it skid and it takes longer time to correct the car it the right direction. I do not have the excat seconds, but it is just the gut feeling.

Braking (this is base on normal driving and stop at the red light with about the same pressure on the pedal adjusted to speed and vehicles characteristic):
    Cargo space: Prius, Matrix, Lexus, 350z.
    Not much of space in the 350z as the convertibles takes up most of the space.

Fuel consumption: Prius, Lexus, Matrix, 350z.

Fuel grade: Lexus, Matrix, 350z (premium), Prius (regular)

out the door purchase cost: lexus, 350z, prius, matrix

service cost: lexus, 350z, matrix, prius

HID visibility: lexus, prius, 350z. No HID on Matrix

10. dorf

dorf Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Re: '07 Prius vrs Lexus ES330 ?

Just filled up both--Prius- &--Lexus.

Prius half the cost of the Lexus....same distance traveled.

11. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

I have them both. No comparison, the ES is a much more comfortable and enjoyable car to drive, *to me*. I would never drive the Prius instead of the Lexus out of choice.

12. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I have the prius an my parents have the rx400h. I like my prius.. with my wheel size i can outhandle the rx.. but the rx is such a joy to drive :)