1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

07 Prius Will Not Run

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ronco21, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Ronco21

Ronco21 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I received my new dongle and software and was able to install and read codes from my car. I received a P3000 from the Hybrid Control system. Under HV Battery I received a P0A80 code (pending). The ABS/VSC/TRC ECU I received two codes of C1259 & C1310. The codes refer to HV Malfunction. The HV battery is low and the motor never runs. It does occasionally go to ready but the motor does not start. I can move the car back and forth a few times but then the Red Triangle appears and the car quits. I did look at the 14 individual HV battery cells with the lowest being 8.93 and the highest being 11.39. Your comments would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Ronco21

SFO likes this.
  2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat (y).

Some questions:

• What dongle did you buy?
    • How low is your Prius hv battery?
    • What mileage is on your Prius?
    With a large delta between individual block voltages usually indicates troubles with the hv battery :(.

You have the P0A80 code, but if you have Techstream, there will usually be a sub code pointing you to more definitive solutions ;).

Keep us posted (y).

3. Ronco21

Ronco21 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    P3004 but no INF code that I could find.
    I have Techstream with mini vci V12.30.017 FT242RL
    Mileage is 156,000
    Battery is one bar.

Either the HV battery crapped out or something caused it to. Trying to find out which before I buy and install another HV battery.

4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The battery was probably low and now it is too low to start the car:(.

There should be a.m. info code associated with this code. Did you click on the snowflake icon for further details :whistle:?

Check all fuses as well as any damage that could cause an issue.

Keep us posted (y).

5. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You need to charge your hybrid battery.
    You have forced the voktage much too low.
    Look at your state of charge and post it here.

You will need to build or buy a high voltage DC charger.

6. Ronco21

Ronco21 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Eric,

I left my house to go to work and the car died at the first stop sign not even a thousand feet from my house. I was able to turn the car around and barely make it back to the front of my house. After that I received the Red Triangle. After using Techstream I found the following codes; P0A80 (Pending), C1259, & C1310 HV Malfunction. I also received a P3000 code. This was all of the codes received when I ran the "Health Check" on the 15 ECUs. Is there anything on Techstream that can determine whether the HV batteries went bad from natural wear or if it was prompted by another part going bad. It's like replacing a battery that has gone dead only to find out you have a bad alternator.

Anyway, I can get an 09 Prius HV battery from a car that was totaled from a deer hit for $300.00. When I applied 12 volts to the car the HV battery indicator was almost fully charged. I thought a simple swap would be the easiest and most cost effective switch. What do you think? My car is an 07 with 156K.

Thank you,

Ronco21

7. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You have a failed HV battery. Welcome to the club.

Although I would be concerned over how long the wrecked car has sat unused as that is bad for the HV battery, I'm more concerned that it's so cheap IF it is being offered by a salvage yard. It's their business to know how much used parts are worth. Too good to be true? :unsure:

8. Ronco21

Ronco21 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I am a rebuilder and purchase quite a few cars from this yard. I know through this site everyone is talking about twice that price and hard to find so I understand your believability.

Thank you,

Ronco21

9. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    OK, so the question is how long you want the 07 to be reliable? A rough guess is the 09 gets you two more years. You can repair the failed module and get "X" amount of time before the next module goes, rinse, lather repeat. Or you can buy a new OEM pack and get another 10 years.

I'd say go with cheap 09 and get a grid charger to maintain it for (hopefully) an even longer life than your 07. See the link in my signature to see how all that works.

Edit: since you're a DIY'er, you could dismantle the 07 pack and sell the remaining good modules.

GOOD LUCK!

Raytheeagle likes this.
  10. Ronco21

Ronco21 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Doug,

I read all your threads and checked out the charger. I see the charger you recommend is like $400.00. I will install the 09 HV battery and probably replace the 07 bad modules like you mentioned. What are your thoughts on the new after market batteries for $1,300-$1,500 with a three year warranty? Your help is much appreciated. Thank you.

Ronco21

11. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For around $2,100 you can get a brand new battery pack from a Toyota dealer that you can install yourself.

NEW batyeries will always outlast USED batteries.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  12. Ronco21

Ronco21 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Eric,

Thank you for your reply. Last night I installed a used battery from an 09 Prius. The car started but I could not keep it running. It has the same symptoms as it did originally. I’m now getting the P3190 DTC. I did not run the Techstream software to see if there are other codes. I will do that today. What else could be causing the motor not to stay running? Your help is much appreciated.

Best regards,

Ronco21

13. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Typically these are not "new" they are refurbished with good, as in still working, modules from other packs. Recently, new cylindrical modules from China have been come to market and one PC member is selling those in a kit form to replace all 28 modules along with a new wiring harness for around $1600 and no core charge (you keep old pack). Current status: back ordered.

Toyota has recently dropped their pack price to about the same IF you can find a local dealer (no shipping) who will sell to you at the price (plus refundable $1350 core charge) which is not as easy as it sounds. Dealer installed is 3 year warranty; all others 1 year.

The cylindrical chinese design don't have a reputation yet as that option has only been available since late last fall but so far so good.

So why do this if you are installing the 09 pack? It shouldn't sit unused as a spare if that's what you're considering. The prolong conditioning charger is made to be used with the pack in the car.

#13 fotomoto, Mar 24, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    kenoarto likes this.
  14. Ronco21

Ronco21 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thank you for your reply. Last night I installed a used battery from an 09 Prius. The car started but I could not keep it running. It has the same symptoms as it did originally. I’m now getting the P3190 DTC. I did not run the Techstream software to see if there are other codes. I will do that today. What else could be causing the motor not to stay running? Your help is much appreciated.

Best regards,

Ronco21

15. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Many times this is due to a weak HV pack that, just like a weak 12v in a conventional car, doesn't have enough juice to adequately spin the ICE to starting rpm. The cure is to charge the pack which until the availability of grid chargers meant going to a Toyota dealer who has to special order Toyota's own version as most dealerships don't stock this factory tool. Other times the no-start issue comes from the traditional fuel/air/spark side of the equation. Any additional codes in Techstream should quickly narrow this down.

16. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Clean MAF.
    Clean throttle body.
    Sop up excess oil from intake.
    Make sure there aren't vacuum leaks.

If this doesn't do it.
    Make sure you have good fuel.
    If needed check/replace spark plugs.

17. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four