1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

08 Gen2 died while driving. VSC light on, starts but wont move

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by daley, Dec 1, 2020.

1. daley

daley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hi folks,

I am hoping someone might shine a light on where to look for issues. My 08 with 251k miles on suddenly died on me today.

I was driving along and with no warning the vsc light came on and car started slowing and what sounded like the inverter side of the engine was making noises. I stopped car and when I tried to start again it started right up but was making the same noise from the inverter side.

I got it towed home, it will start no problem but as soon as I put into Drive or Reverse it starts making noise and vibrating. I have a scangauge and no codes are showing. VSC light is still on.

Any suggestions as to what might be wrong? is it dead!

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sounds like a failed inverter pump;).

When it cools down, check in the inverter reservoir for movement. Unfortunately you probably won't see any:cool:.

Good luck and keep us posted(y).

SFO and JC91006 like this.
  3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Generally speaking, if there are warning lights being displayed, then there are OBD2 codes (DTCs) stored in the ECUs (computers).

You may want to upgrade you 'scanner' to something that is fully hybrid compatible, many enthusiasts like to use a "mini-vci" cable and techstream (dealer technician diagnostic software) installed on a windows device.

You might be able to get by using a simple OBD2 bluetooth adapter and an App like Dr Prius or Torque.

Does the cruise control or the AC work?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. daley

daley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hi folks, thanks for your input, much appreciated.

I went out and had a look this morning and I found a few things out.

- After reading on here about oil over filling I looked in the throttle body, I see liquid in the bottom, not sure if it is oil but I assume it is. I had just topped off oil to the full mark before this happened as my car has burnt oil since I got it 100k miles ago.

- I am getting 12.58v at 12v jump connectors.

- I don't see any turbulence in the coolant tank.

- Scangauge now brings up 2 codes, P0335 and P0A90, from what I can gather these are crankshaft position sensor and trans axle related,

So where would be the first place to start?

I understand the coolant pump could be broken, but is it possible it isn't turning because engine isn't starting and or related to the associated codes? If I am looking at a broken engine and or transaxle, I don't want to put money into the coolant pump only to find damage outweighs the value of the car.

I think I will start by cleaning up the throttle body and see if crank sensor has oil on it.

I appreciate any info, many thanks

5. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is the workup for DTC P0335 : https://share.qclt.com/%E4%B8%B0%E7%94%B0%E6%99%AE%E7%91%9E%E6%96%AF%E5%8E%9F%E5%8E%82%E8%8B%B1%E6%96%87%E6%89%8B%E5%86%8Cpdf%E6%A0%BC%E5%BC%8F/Prius%20Service%20Manuals%202004/%E4%BF%AE%E7%90%86%E6%89%8B%E5%86%8C/04pruisr/05/2054m/cip0335.pdf

The reported DTC P0A90 has nine (9) related subcodes (aka INFs or detailed codes), knowing the subcobe for a particular DTC can potentially save time/effort/money when diagnosing the potential problem. Techstream can help with retrieving the subcodes. I can post the six (6) different workups for DTC P0A90 that will cover all nine (9) of the subcodes, if needed.

Try touching the inverter coolant pump with your finger or a stick/pencil/rod, do you feel any vibration?
    Earlier you mentioned starting it before/after you had it towed home. Does the vehicle no longer turn over and start the engine?

The vehicle uses the HV battery to turn over the engine, if the HV battery runs low it prevents the vehicle from attempting to start.
    Given the above known OBD2 codes (right or wrong), it might be best to hold off on replacing the coolant pump for now.

#5 SFO, Dec 2, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  6. daley

daley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hi there, thanks for your reply.

When I said it would start I should have been clearer, it will go into ready mode and engine will shake around but it doesn’t fire up, lots of noises coming out the inverter.

my gut is telling me one or more of the big 3 items (engine,inverter, transmission) are toast.

if the pump failed could the transmission/inverter have been overheated and died or would the computer stop the car before that could happen?

I looked into the price of used engine/transmission yesterday and I think for less than $600 I could get the 3 major components, I think I could manage switching them out, I’ve replaced an engine/trans in a tdi before, can’t be too much harder.
    I’m considering going down that route as my engine has 251k miles and uses oil already.

7. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Techstream will read all the codes so you'll have a better grasp of what's wrong.

It sounds like the inverter pump died (very common) and possibly took the inverter out with it (less common). Driving it too far or too hard (uphill, high speeds, etc) after the pump stops is typically the final nail.

Yes I personally would consider an ICE/transaxle swap but only if the HV battery is a known good item too. Otherwise, I'd move on.

GOOD LUCK!

8. daley

daley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I did just get back from a 600 mile trip a few days previous so maybe your right, pump died followed by inverter.

What is a good method for figuring out the battery condition? my mpg had dropped to 38mpg on trip to Florida, not sure if that may have been related to the inverter issue or not.?

I have red car with apostrophe symbol in the corner of the display, does that mean anything?

I've ordered blue tooth dongle, will that and torque give me the codes or do i need techstream?