1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

08 mods

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by aaronnardi, Oct 13, 2007.

1. aaronnardi

aaronnardi New Member

I just got a black 08 prius w/ option B. I actually got rid of a 07 BMW 328i for this car and think the Prius is way better option. Although the Prius is amazing I have 1 problem, i just can't keep it stock.
    I've already had tint and black leather installed which honestly changes the whole vibe of the car.
    I also plan to black out the lights and annodize the rims black diamond (anyone in the LA/OC/909 area interested in this i know a good place who can do virtually any color).

My main concern/question is with adjusting the suspension, I have a little experience with this on other cars but never on a prius or toyota. I'm brand new to this car so please forgive all the questions.
    I'm looking for a little better handling, improved looks, and the bonus of better mpg (you don't have to slow down as much in turns amoung other things).
    Question, what are my suspension/stiffing options?
    What is the ride height difference from Stock to Touring to TRD springs?
    (The wheel gap on the 08 honsetly isn't that big, smaller than on my A4 and slightly bigger than my 3 series w/ sport suspension)
    How noticeable are the improvements these options provide?
    Also wondering a bout a BT Stiffing plate or other stiffing options, are there any?
    Anyone who has put in the TRD have problems with scraping?
    or with TRD & a BT Stiffing plate (it hangs a bit lower doesn't it?)
    Are there any other good cost effective mods i'm not thinking of?

thanks,
    a

2. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you're a bit careful, the car won't scrape very often at all with the TRD suspension. But it will scrape occasionally (thrice in a year and a half for me).

I've got both the TRD and the B/T, and haven't high-centered the plate, which is what worries me most.

The car is definitely stiffer, more predictable, and doesn't lose composure nearly as quickly when cornering forces are up there and the road throws something unexpected your way.

Put on a good set of non-LRR tires and the car will really brighten up (and the goofy traction control won't come on nearly as often).

It's not an autocrosser, though, and if you think second guessing a hydraulically-controlled automatic transmission is a challenge sometimes, the HSD will have you scratching your head and pressing the throttle to the floor *seconds* before you'll think you'll need the power.

Look as far as you can into the curve; if you're not well ahead of the car, terminal understeer will still scrub off all kinds of speed, and there's simply not enough power to get it back.

Also the relatively long wheelbase and tons of throttle lag make for somewhat slow turn-in and (most problematic to me) a difficult time of balancing the chassis with touches of throttle.

I don't think I could drive a stock one regularly (mine's an '06 non-touring)...too flabby. I'm sure the Touring is better...ride height (stock) is, I believe, the same as the non-touring.

I wish I could get a TRD+...another 1/2 inch lower all around, another level stiffer.

All this said, I absolutely LOVE my Buzz; last car I drove was a '97 Porsche 993 and I actually enjoy flying under the radar and being the underdog again.

--Natalie