1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

08 Prius actuator replacement leaking oil

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ithinkwecanfixit, Sep 13, 2021.

1. Ithinkwecanfixit

Ithinkwecanfixit New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So I replace the Abs Actuator and I do see it is leaking some oil on top where the hydraulic line is. I did have a hard time putting that line in. Do you think I could have stripped the threads on the actuator body? Would it be better to see if I can get another actuator or just replace the hydraulic line and go from there?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There should not be any difficulty putting in a line, if you did have difficulty, then most likely you stripped the thread and it's not tight now.

How are you able to get another? Repeat the 5 hour job again....ouch

Ithinkwecanfixit likes this.
  3. Ithinkwecanfixit

Ithinkwecanfixit New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I would have to just buy another actuator…. How likely would I have to replace the hydraulic line as well? well hopefully I can do it quicker this time. It took me way over 5 hours but I think I can do it much quicker now.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm sure you will at least need to disconnect that line again completely, and try to get some good close-up views (maybe with your phone camera) of the threads on the nut, and the threads in the actuator, and the flared end of the tube, and the seat at the bottom of the actuator hole, if you can.

The important part of the seal is the tube's flare against the seat. They both need to be smooth and not deformed. The nut's only job is to press the flare against the seat.

If the seat and the flare are undamaged, and the threads aren't super messed up, you may be able to recover. It might be worth buying a spare flare nut at the auto parts store with the same threads, and see if you can start that straight into the hole on the actuator, and run it all the way in and all the way back out. Sometimes the alignment is easier if you don't have the brake line passing through it.

If that goes ok, you can try again with the nut that's on the end of your line, being very mindful about inserting the line straight and all the way down to the seat, and making sure the nut isn't canted.

If there's damage to the flare on the end of the line, or its nut is messed up, just replacing that line might get you back in business.

If the seat in the actuator got misshapen, or those threads got messed up ... yeah ... it might be actuator time again.

Pay attention to the specified torque for those nuts ... get them there, but don't overdo it.

Ithinkwecanfixit likes this.