1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

08' Prius II 53K, rebuilt title. How much it worth?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by AllenZ, Sep 16, 2011.

1. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four

I looked at a 08 Prius, 53K miles, rear left crash but fixed well.
    My question is, how much difference on price should be between original and rebuilt, based on this kind of damage? See picture before and after.

Assuming everything else good, how much you would pay if no damage?

I plan to own it for long term, at least drive it to 200K miles.

Attached Files:

2. Gurple42

Gurple42 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The clouded title would be worth 3 grand less than what you would pay for one with a clean title.....just my 2 cents:fish2:

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Even though it looks mostly cosmetic after reading so many horror stories
    of Prius rebuilts I would not touch a Prius with a rebuilt title. Its the wrong car
    rebuilt to own unless your capable of repairing/replacing anything including the transmission.
    I mention the trans not because it would be damaged in this instance but as a worst case to gauge your skills.

Whats your plan if 3 days after you buy it you go turn it on and it throws every check engine light that's in the dash?

If you say I'd take it to the dealer....don't buy a rebuilt title Prius.

There's a million other simple cars out there with rebuilds. Easy and uncomplicated to fix when they blow up.

1 person likes this.
  4. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Do you think this level of mechanical damage will affect the frame, which could affect the engine/trans mount?

Since 12V battery is on right side, I don't see why this damage will make electrical problems.

Guess I need to read some horror stories tonight :)

5. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The amount of damage doesn't get much more benign than that. Value also depends on options. Given that you also have an '04, you know exactly how the car should look, feel, and sound. Looks like a good deal to me, so long as they are discounting the asking price relative to the clear title marketplace.

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not that benign. They totaled it out. Really good hit on drivers side. Quarter panel plus rear door plus hatch plus lower header plus absorber & bumper cover.

Problem with a rebuilt is you never know what else got messed up in the accident that whoever fixed it went the cheap route. Man, we've seen that a hundred times on this forum. How long it sat in the lot with the interior corroding etc.

Thousands of other basic car rebuilds out there if you want to roll that dice that would be easy to fix if they have big problems later. People buy rebuilds cause they think there getting a deal. Its only a deal if you have a garage full of tools & ready to fix anything that goes wrong on the car yourself. One good hit at the dealer and you've paid retail for a rebuilt title car.

If op is fixed on the car pull a Carfax on it at least to see what else its been through. It may be a very unlucky car.

7. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
  8. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It looks like the damage has completely missed any important mechanical or electrical components. I have to agree with Seilerts that it looks pretty benign to me.

I think the only possibility for ongoing problems is if the impact compromised some electrical connections that could go bad at some future time.

2 people like this.
  9. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Insurance companies have given the Prius a very low total loss threshold. For front-end collisions, this is very much deserved, because the potential for hidden damage is far greater, and I would not trust a car coming out of a common body shop or margin-squeezing rebuilder if it was a front end airbag deployed collision. I would trust anything coming out of the AutoBeYours shop, however.

If one were to buy a salvage rebuild, and you had your choice of the impact focus, the driver side rear is optimal. There just isn't anything back there electrical-wise to damage. As long as this car passes the car wash test, it should be good to go.

2 people like this.
  10. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks Jeff!

The prices there are close to clean title price I think. Negotiate $3000 down to start with? :)