1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

08 Prius MPG woes after new tires

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Angelo, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Angelo

Angelo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey guys, this is my first post and I decided to create an account after much research and Q and A and still wasn't finding my answer.

My name is Angelo and I am a Southern-California native. I bought my 2008 prius touring edition used (Private seller) with 98,000 miles on it. I am and was very happy with the purchase. I was easily getting 42-48mpg with the average being 44mpg and getting around 420 miles to a tank.

The car was in excellent shape, I had it checked out and there were no issues with the AUX batt, main batt, trans-axle, everything was good. At around 110k the tires had 15-20% life left, so I decided to change them.

They were a mix match of tires, Yokohama was one I remember seeing on there. I went ahead a got 4 new Goodyear Integrity tires same size everything. I had them installed, I got a computerized alignment only very slight tweaking required and now we are perfect. Had an oil change, replaced engine air filter and on some days, driving exact same route with same vehicle weight I now barely break 38mpg. I now average 375 miles to a tank vs 420.

You can imagine my disappointment after spending $550 for the tires, service, and alignment. Now my question is, what the heck is going on?

My AUX batt is good and did the self check via the MFD and she shows 12.6 or so, and higher when vehicle is running.

I read the guide linked at the top to read before posting and I can say all those are covered. I watch my driving style the vehicle is stock, no roof rack or anything to add drag. New oil, new filter, new tires, same gas, warm SoCal weather, paved roads, I don't know why such a drastic change occurred.

I am sorry for the long post, but I wanted to introduce myself to the forums and be as descriptive as possible on the first post.

Thank you guys for anything insight you can provide.

Angelo Cosma

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    First, make sure that the tires are inflated to 40-42 psi. They are most likely at 32 psi from the shop. Second, all new tires cause an mpg drop for a while, so be assured that there will be a gradual improvement as the tread wears. Many posts about that aspect.

Third, those are not necessarily the best tires for low rolling resistance. Here is the list:
    Low Rolling Resistance replacement tires: Current List | PriusChat
    Some do much better than others, and in a car like the Prius, that is quite noticeable.

uart likes this.
  3. Angelo

Angelo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Okay, thank you for that little bit of relief. However my co-worker who has the exact same year and trim level Prius has Integrity tires installed / recommended from Toyota and he achieves 46 easily. I do not think our driving style is vastly different and we both commute to work all highway miles.

Yes the tires are about 35psi. I will adjust the fronts to 42psi, why are the rears less? Would 35 be good for the rears?

4. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No, 40 in the rears. Slightly less in the rear improves handling. The Integrity is OK, just not the favorite here on PC. Give it some time.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would double check the mfd reading with a volt meter on the battery or jump points, after the car has been off for 4 hours or so.

6. Angelo

Angelo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Now I here that 115K is the time to change the spark plugs (Iridium) is what I gleaned from chatting with people. I am at 112 and change. Could this be a factor?

Also changing the Trans-Axle fluid / flush service, is this advisable and or necessary for MPG gains?

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sparks are a possibility, but not likely since your change happened with the tyres. they can be done anytime, the manual says 120k i believe. tranny oil is a good idea, but won't effect mpg's.

8. Angelo

Angelo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Over inflating the tires seemed to help so far, easily broke 41.5mpg from my (On a good day) 38mpg. Why go over what the door sticker says for the correct tire inflation? I am glad its helping, but just curious as to why that is.

9. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Look into LRR "low rolling resistance" tires. There is a lot of effort put into creating a tire that does not deform as it rolls, which means less energy is wasted in compressing and relaxing the rubber continuously. The trade off is harsh ride, as the tires are also part of the suspension system. The Toyota spec is for a cushy ride. The higher pressure is for better mileage. Anything up to the sidewall pressure limit (usually 44 psi) is fine if the ride is acceptable.

10. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    All good advice above, but one other point. You say you had an oil change. What oil grade was used? And have you checked the level of oil to make sure it is not over full? As this has a detrimental affect on the Prius.

John Britprius)

uart and xpcman like this.
  11. Angelo

Angelo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The same oil that I have been putting in it sine I got it. I was getting great mpgs with that same oil back then. I will give it a few tanks, but I think the tire pressure was it.

12. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Low tyre pressures will cause havoc with your MPG.
    If you changed the oil yourself you know the oil level, but if a changed by someone else it can be overfull even if the grade is correct.

John Britprius)

13. Angelo

Angelo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It was done at Valvoline, and they did it acording to Toyotas specifications. The dispenser has a digital readout for oil pumped.

Not using synthetic or a blend, just conventional oil.

14. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    But....as BritPrius said.....check the oil level yourself. Very quick, simple, easy to do....even I can do it. Just let it sit overnight, or at least three or more hours before you do it. Personally, I never would trust any of those oil change places.....heck....I wouldn't even trust my husband...he would be tipping back an IPA while pouring and would probably put the whole fourth quart into the car.

uart and tanglefoot like this.
  15. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Do check the oil level yourself. Just a little over three quarts is usually what it takes. It's commonly overfilled, even by the pros.

How has the weather been there? Temperature affects fuel economy considerably. If temperatures have been dropping, a decrease in fuel economy is expected.

I found the Integrities to roll pretty nicely, but I would never buy them. I would only run them if they're already on there. I find them to be overpriced and underperforming. They somehow manage to combine low grip, fast wear, high noise, and high cost--I don't know how they do it! There are much better, lower cost tires (such as the awesome Hankook Optimo H727!).

High tire pressure definitely helps tires roll, by reducing the rubber deformation at the contact patch. The manufacturers usually recommend lower pressures due to ride comfort, but there's quite a bit of efficiency to be gained with additional air pressure. I like 44 psi front, 42 psi back.

#15 tanglefoot, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check the oil level, it's q&d.