1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

08 Prius Sputtering

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Skippy057, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Skippy057

Skippy057 New Member

I have read many post stating that some sputtering is normal for the prius. I am experiencing sputtering when the gas engine is turning off. Usially it is very minor, but occasionally it is quite severe. The car actually stalled one time, and the LCD screen displayed a message stating that the car had to be put into park before I could start it. When it is severe it jerks the car and makes a "clunking" noise. Is it normal for the sputtering to be this severe?

Thanks,
    Cory

2. rwhoyle

rwhoyle Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Skippy057 @ Nov 6 2007, 11:48 AM) [snapback]535584[/snapback]</div>
    Cory,

I too have an 2008 Prius. I have noticed that when the engine is still coming up to normal operating temperature, it shudders when shuting down. This usually happens the first time I stop after leaving the garage. After that, I have not notice the excessive shudder, only the normal starting and stopping of the ICE that is fairly smooth.

Slide

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What do you mean by stating that it actually stalled one time. How can an engine stall when it is being turned off? The Prius doesn't start like a normal car: when the engine needs to run, it does so, when it doesn't, it turns off. I suspect the message was do to some button pushing on your part after you decided the car had stalled, when in fact it was running normally.

The internal combustion engine (ICE) on the Prius always stops in one position, to help minimize emissions during the next restart. If the ICE misses this position on the shutdown try, MG1 will spin it around again to find the proper spot. This produces a shuddering, or perhaps in your terminology, a sputtering. It's completely normal. You will find it most pronounced in new Prius and when the weather is cold.

Tom

offib likes this.
  4. Skippy057

Skippy057 New Member

The car actually stalled on me. I started my car and put it in drive. The engine kicked on immediately. I began to pull out, but noticed that the engine was idling kind of rough. I stopped the car but left it in park. The rough idling continued until the ICE stopped, at which time the car sputtered breifly. The LCD screen then displayed a message stating that the car needed to be placed in Park before I could start the car. I did NOT press the power button. That was the only time I had to put the car in park and press the power button again, but it has sputtered numerous times. There have been a few times when the car jerked pretty severly after the sputtering stopped. It was almost like something slammed into place. It makes a fairly loud noise when it happens. I think that this is a little more extreme than what most people experience, but I just wanted to know what you guys think.

Cory

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Skippy057 @ Nov 6 2007, 04:38 PM) [snapback]535683[/snapback]</div>
    When you stopped the car, it's normal that the engine kicked off, assuming it was in the proper state to allow a shutdown. A message similar to the one you report will show up on the MFD if a door is ajar. It's a complete red herring, but most of us now know to check the doors if we see it. The Prius engine does sound rougher than many normal gasoline engines, as the Prius uses an Atkinson cycle instead of the conventional Otto cycle. Shuddering and shaking on shut down is fairly common. The real question is whether yours is more than the normal. Subtle differences are hard to describe ("How blue do you think that is?"), so we will never be able to tell you whether it's a problem or not just by talking about it. If it's violent, prevents the car from driving, or sounds like something is being damaged, then by all means take it to the dealer. If not, and you are just not sure, then find someone in the area with another Prius and ask them what they think.

Tom

6. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Skippy057 @ Nov 6 2007, 10:48 AM) [snapback]535584[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Cory and Welcome to PriusChat!
    Every couple weeks it seems like my rough ICE shutdown is worse than any time in the past. But then the temperatures are getting colder here too. You get used to it eventually, I guess its like Tom says, the engine is looking for the right place for the crankshaft to stop. There are things that this car does that no car you ever owned before does, and you get used to them eventually. But, if its REALLY making a clunking sound and there is an error message, definitely take it to the dealer to have it checked out. It should be under warranty.

7. FLM

FLM New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My 2007 has had an intermittent problem similar to yours. I had it at the Dealership several times, but they say they find nothing wrong. I even had them keep it overnight for an extended test drive.
    I understand there might be a shutter sometimes when the engine stalls at a stop, but mine will sometimes remain running at a very rough idle for almost a minute or so before stalling at a stop. A couple of times there was a violent shuttering of the engine.
    (It felt like some old time engines did when you shut them off and they would continue running.)
    I would check the Display and nothing is being used. The Toyota Techs say nothing can be done until/unless I see an error message. They also say that no one else has reported this as a problem to Toyota.
    I don't believe it is the gasoline. I have consistently used unleaded regular.
    I found that the problem occurs mostly when the engine is cold, but also when it is warmed up. And especially when the fan or compressor is being used.

I've been researching this problem and found several posts discussing this same type of issue, dating back to 2004. I'm surprised that Toyota is unaware of it.

Has anyone that's experienced this problem gotten a resolution????

8. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Take it back to the dealer Cory, it doesn't sound right to me.
    I never feel the ICE running I can hear it but not feel it. Sometimes at about 5 minutes into my trip the ICE shuts down after I stop for a traffic light and I can feel it but what you describe doesn't sound like that.

9. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    FLM, what you are refering to is "dieseling", and my '07 did this when it was new and cold. It tends to lessen as the car gets some mileage on it and when the weather gets warmer. If there is any problem with the actual functioning of the engine the computer will throw a code that the dealer can scan for.

When I first got the car I really thought there was something wrong with it, since we also have a '03, and I didn't remember anything like it with that one, BUT as I read more about others experiencing the same thing I decided that maybe I was just too concerned with every little wierd thing this unique car does. So I waited, and as time went by it happened less and less. The real improvement came with the warm weather of last spring.

If you are really concerned you can take it to the dealer just to be sure. As long as the car is otherwise doing fine and not showing any red triangle on the dash, you could just give it some time too.

Keep us posted on how things go and what you decide.

10. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    here in florida we dont get the extreme low temps and i have never noticed any shuttering as u speak of. however it was 39* last thursday and i did notice unusual shutdown sounds, so i'm betting its the cold temp and the new vehicle thats causing this.

11. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Active Member

I seem to be the odd man out on this, but my 07 with 5200 miles shuts down pretty quietly when cold, since new, and once in a great while, it does the knocking, dieseling thing, when warm. It has gotten much better by 5K. But it only gets down to about 30 deg F here.

One thing I have learned in owning new Toyotas in 22 years, is to leave them alone, and drive them without worrying about them. I have found the less anyone touches the factory assembled car, the better.

12. Arled

Arled New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have an 06 Prius that exhibits similar behaviorwhen. It sputters when I am at a stoplight and the engine switches from gas to electric or back to gas from electric....but its always done that. Recently, however, its been making fan-like noises when I park and shut it off. It lasts for a good 20 seconds. The dealer said it wasn't a problem. It sounds like other drivers have a similar experience, which makes me not too worried about it.

13. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The rough idle occurs when the engine is below 70c. You'll notice that rough "sputtering" when the engine is stopping. Especially noticeable when the car has not entered stage 4 mode.

That fan noise is most likely the coolant pump transferring hot coolant to the thermos.

14. PrematurelyGray

PrematurelyGray Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My 08 does that, but I haven't been concerned about it. It grows more pronounced as the temperature drops, so that's certainly a factor.

If you take your car to the shop, post back to tell us what they say.

15. AvTech72

AvTech72 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Hello Everyone, maybe I can revive this older thread.
    I am a 1yr old owner of a used 08 Prius with 152k(bought it with 142k) and knew it was one of the best choices I could have made!
    I love the car immensely and am very grateful for the fuel mileage that she gives me!
    Only today when I went to drive to work, I felt a very rough accelerating when trying to drive off. Not the type mentioned in this thread but still would consider it engine sputtering. It's as if the accelerator keeps getting pulled in and out even though I have the pedal all the way down. Didnt feel safe to drive so left it home.
    Any ideas what it is, I'm pretty technical of a guy and am willing to do some maintenance as long as it is not incredibly tedious and/or no access to the required tools.

Many thanks in advance!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

16. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Get something that can pull codes and see if there are any pending misfire codes. Near the top of the list for causes of misfire are spark plugs and coils (Coil On Plug units). Only use genuine Denso/OE coils and NGK or Denso plugs from a reputable source (not ebay or amazon- too many counterfeits).

AvTech72 likes this.
  17. AvTech72

AvTech72 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Ok will do, any scanner will do? Go basic or invest some more for the long term?
    Will look into the coils and spark plugs as I dont know any of the maintenance history on it.
    Also figured changing the ATF would be a good preventative maintenance as well.
    Thanks for the help!

18. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Throttle body clean is #1 on the list. Way over due for spark plugs check in the plug hole before pulling them using your iPhone to see if any oil down there if so the valve cover should be replaced too and that’s really easy.
    Get the iPhone magnifier app.

And replace the water pump belt is real important.

owned my Prius for 13 years has never sputtered on me once. If it’s sputtering it needs work.

By the way don’t tag a 13 year old post start your own so you can follow it easier. Now it’s buried beneath another guys ancient post.

AvTech72 likes this.
  19. AvTech72

AvTech72 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Thanks Ed! Will look into the spark plugs tomorrow and see what I encounter as far as leakage from oil or water. Car is responding less and less now. Wondering if it's the transmission that's getting shot, or could it be the HIV battery that's dying and keeping the engine running to keep it charged?

20. AvTech72

AvTech72 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Looked into the well and they look pretty well, will go to get the spark plug socket and see the tips Picture_20214505104518.jpeg Picture_20214605104646.jpeg Picture_20214705104701.jpeg Picture_20214705104733.jpeg Picture_20214805104815.jpeg Picture_20214805104826.jpeg Picture_20214905104910.jpeg Picture_20214905104925.jpeg