1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'08 Rumbles won't start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Zac213, Nov 14, 2020.

1. Zac213

Zac213 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    One
    My 08 rumbles really hard and won't start. It sounds kinda like grinding gears, and I have all the lights on the dash. Trying to capture a video, but it is failing to even attempt even while trying to jump. Onboard diag. Says battery is at 12v (14v when connected) but EV battery is only at 1 bar. Was driving more or less fine and then died at a stop light when re starting the ICE. Car is just over the quarter million mark on miles.
    What could be wrong, and how much should it cost to fix

Attached Files:

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!
    Generally speaking, when warning lights on the dash are being displayed it means there are OBD2 codes (DTCs) being stored in the ECUs (computers), you may want to use a hybrid compatible OBD2 scanner to retrieve these codes (DTCs) which may help diagnose.

Please scan the vehicle for DTCs (codes) and post them here for further guidance.

You mentioned 'rumbles really hard', have you looked underneath the vehicle to see if someone has borrowed your catalytic converter?

3. PriusHead05

PriusHead05 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Once, when my hybrid battery was a 1 bar. I would accelerate and it would act like it had no power. Then it would finally move but at reduce power. Mine never had a chance to die completely. Not sure what happened to yours. The ICE starts via the electric inverter/generator. It would be good to check the OBDII codes. If you don't have a scanner, one of the automotive stores will do it for free. Please let us know what the codes are. Will give all of us a better idea.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. Zac213

Zac213 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Unfortunately I don't have a scanner, and the car won't move at all now, the sound it makes is similar to if you are driving a standard transmission and you don't get into gear all the way. I don't think it's the catalytic converter because it would still start even if someone yanked it.

5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You need to borrow or buy one then, otherwise, it is all guesswork and that is not productive. It is rather like asking, "how long is a piece of string?"

6. Zac213

Zac213 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    One
    does anyone know what causes the gear lights and gas gauge to flash back and forth?

7. Justin B

Justin B New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    zach, I have a very similar thing happening now. What was the result of this?

8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is explained in this post and others. It is quite a common occurrence.