1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

08 seems to be spewing AC when refilled

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by afguy747, May 4, 2023.

1. afguy747

afguy747 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    III
    my 08 heater/ac stopped working, normally in the past it has been either the blower motor or low refrigerant levels. The refrigerant was not even registering when I hooked it up to refill it, after putting the whole bottle in it, it was still too low (10psi) to engage the ac. bought another bottle and got it up to 15 when the ac seemed to cycle but was spraying out the bottom when it cycled. The motor was just stuck so at least I have the heater for the moment. Any idea what is up with the AC pump?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    It must have a leak where the hoses connect they're o-ring seals there or literally the case of the compressor is fouled where it's mating surfaces joined together when it's put together and is leaking that way It's easy to not see where the leak is coming from and to think it's coming from somewhere The AC should have nothing to do with the heat if we're talking about a Gen too I don't think at least if you set the temperature to high Make sure the AC compressor button is off doesn't have a line above it on and the fan is on high you should be blowing only heat with no compressor involved at all That's generally how I run my heat heat only no temperature set like 74° and all that nonsense No defrost buttons are pushed all that stuff The minute you start adding defrost and whatnot they kind of likes to bring in the compressor to get the frost off the windows if your compressor won't come in or come on then it's pointless.

3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. lech auto air conditionin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I guess I miss seeing the bat light shining up in the sky in Gotham city

5. lech auto air conditionin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    That’s one hell of a leak if you empty an entire can into the car and only have 10 psi, but yet you did not hear a hissing sound coming from underneath the engine compartment anywhere ?.

And heat should have nothing to do with air conditioning

Unless you hit the defrost button, you will still get heat, but it needs the air conditioning to help get rid of the humidity to dry off your window.

I have a question
    What is this car ever in a front an accident or you bought it salvaged salvage title

Like was mentioned in the post above about an O-ring leaking at one of the fittings off the compressor possibility

The reason I asked about the accident I’ve seen about three times on a Prius where the front core support was pushed back just a little bit from a previous fender bender. For the AC line that runs next to the fan shroud was bent a little bit and overtime rub through and made a little cut..

Maybe if you follow with your fingers the hose coming from the compressor does it rub up next anywhere on the fan shroud and feel for a little gouge or neck.

this is where high-pressure dry nitrogen comes in really handy

Because you just hook it up to your gauges to the car, crank the nitrogen up to 170 psi and just let her rip continuously and it would be hissing out of that little leak continuously very loud.

And even if you can see it, you would reach your fingers down there and feel the air shooting out against your finger and use that as your method of locating the leak.

Without wasting refrigerant, pumping it into the atmosphere, can after can.

and when you’re talking about the heat, not working or AC not working. Just to clarify, the blower motor is spinning and you’re actually having air blow out of the dash vents.? Correct ?