1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

08 Spectra Blue Mica has arrived

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by alg, Sep 7, 2007.

1. alg

alg Junior Member

Today I picked up the first 08 Prius Spectra Blue Mica in the Pacific Northwest. And it was well worth the effort.
    This is the Base model with Package 2 and a value package which offers carpeted floor mats. I traded in an 07 Corolla S and managed to work a high-trade in value (private sale value) by paying $600 over invoice. Without the trade-in, I could have done $200 over invoice. As it is, I'm very happy as the car exceeded my expectations.

The pictures do not do it justice. The Spectra Blue is very beautiful and goes well with the gray interior. Having driven two 2007 Prius package 2, I swear the 08 feels tighter as if it already has a stiffening plate. I have not driven a Prius with the Stiffening plate. In my test drives of 07 Prius', I felt there was a need to stiffen the suspension. With the 08, I did not. As I kept my speed around 45 on a circular on-ramp, I did not feel my body leaning. It felt stable. Almost makes me think to of staying with the stock Goodyear Integrity tires... Oh, the dealer used helium gas to fill up the tires, nice benefit. I kept the tire pressure stock just to get a baseline mpg measure, more on that below.

My short term memory is not great (caveat), the seats feel more supportive as if they have a stiffer foam material. My commute was comfortable. Road noise was hardly noticeable, especially with the stereo on. The base stereo (not the upgrade JBL) sounded clear even when raising the volume up in the low 30s. The stereo is much better than available in the 07 Civic Hybrid. All my favorite stations sounded good. I also took advantage of the radio controls built into the steering wheel, helps minimize fingerprints from touching the LCD screen.

Click on the thumbnail images to see the larger image hosted at Imageshack. The gallery here was off-line. These pictures were taken about 7:30pm, the sun was starting to set in Seattle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My greatest surprise is the last picture below. I average 52.2 mpg in my first 48 miles!!! :D
    This is with no modifications, keeping the stock tire pressure. The lessons I have learned from here have helped tremendously. 48 miles is a small sample, driving from NorthEnd of Seattle on the highway to Bellevue and back across the highway to Richmond Beach in heavy stop-and-go traffic. Then driving around Richmond Beach which is very hilly. I couldn't be happier starting out over 50mpg.

[​IMG]

If you are on the fence in buying a 07 versus an 08 Prius. I highly recommend you go for the 08. It feels improved (not surprising that small, subtle changes have been made in a year).

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats, it looks great!!

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <drooool> That looks perfect!! Love the colour!!

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 7 2007, 12:29 AM) [snapback]508413[/snapback]</div>
    So did I. That's what I had before my first Prius. It looked incredible when clean... which unfortunately, is difficult to keep that way in the land of road sand & salt. Of course, that wouldn't stop me from getting it again later.

5. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Prudy!

I think that gives Crater Lake a run for the money on which has the deepest and shiniest blue. :eek:

6. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow. Did your dealer deliver it to you so super-duper shiney? My guy didn't. He was too busy trying to sell me an extended warranty for $2500.

7. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    WOW that spectra blue is spectacular :)

Congrats and enjoy!

8. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I am going to have to haunt my dealer to just see the Spectra Blue. It certainly looks nice in the photos the OP provided. I have a weakness for the right shade of blue.

9. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Phoenix, Arizona (formerly Bowling Green, Ohio)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Beautiful color! Could you elaborate if there were any other noticable changes to the '08 model year Prius? (or are they saving everything for the 2009 model?)

10. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Congratulations! That blue looks super, hopefully I can see one on the road soon.

11. 07seaside

07seaside New Member

Congrats but I couldn't find the pics.

I picked up my 07 Seaside yesterday and I'm having very mixed reactions. I traded an 03 Honda CRV which I loved. Don't get me wrong - I love the mileage that I'm getting already but I'm not thrilled with the radio reception and I'm in the St. Louis area. Stations are fading in and out when they didn't before. Anyone have any ideas??
    Also, how do you keep the touch screen clean?
    Other than a few other minor things, I'm sure I'll be in love with this one before too long - especially when I don't have to fill the tank for 2 weeks :)
    Thanks!!

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Sep 6 2007, 10:38 PM) [snapback]508414[/snapback]</div>
    I wasn't aware that Spectra Blue Mica was available before 2001? I thought it debuted in 2001 with the Celica and RAV4. Do note that Toyota has lots of dark blues including Brilliant Blue Pearl, Stratosphere Mica, Nautical Blue Metallic and Indigo Ink

13. alg

alg Junior Member

Thanks everyone for the encouragement.

Regarding keeping the color clean, I went from having a Black Corolla S. So, keeping the Spectra Blue clean should be no worst... using a hose regularly to keep dirt-leaves from staying on too long.

Regarding the car being delivered nice and clean, funny this is the only part I could find fault.
    The car was delivered very clean though I am going back to have them buff out one small scratch. The detailers from the two Toyota dealers (this year and last) are not as thorough as I have experienced with other dealers (such as Acura). This is nitpicky - the Prius windows had water streaks, sticker for the Red Team (service team) was left on the rear-view mirror, water spots and lint in other areas... in comparison the Acura had looked like it had gone through a full detail. They're not spending as much time getting the cars ready. Again, this is the difference between excellent and very good. The good news is the Toyota dealer wants an excellent score on all points for the customer survey. And they are glad to help if it changes the scoring... I will negotiate them throwing in the labor to install the rear bumper protector (the black rubber one from the Matrix).

Regarding comparisons with 2007 model, I visited many dealers and test drove twice a base and a touring version. Again my short term memory is suspect and I was overwhelmed by the Blue Spectra color. I wanted it as soon as I saw it was coming, helped me from buying another Black or Seaside Blue.
    When I go visit the dealer, I'll try to find a 2007 to do more visual comparisons.

My commute is about 25 miles in heavy Seattle traffic. I usually arrive (to work and to home) feeling fatigued, perhaps the Sport bucket seats on the Corolla S (2007 model) were too stiff and I'm getting too old. The Prius also puts me at ease staying right around and even below (this is new territory for me... usually have a heavy foot) the speed limit. Put it this way, with the 07 Corolla S and Automatic trans, I average 29 miles per gallon. After reading the threads here and inflating the Corolla's tires to 40psi, I averaged 34 mpg. I had a hard time staying below the speed limit with the Corolla (yeah, the Sport model is much nicer, sportier than the LE and CE models). With the Prius, I don't care about sporty. I want comfort and mpg's.

14. wiiprii

wiiprii New Member

Interesting that the 2008 has the same graphics on the MFD as the 2005 Prius. My 2007 has the newer squared off buttons rather than the original round ones.

I wonder why they went back to that style?

15. moxiequz

moxiequz Weirdo Social Outcast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Congratulations on your new Prius! That is one mighty fine color. I wish it had been available in 2007. :mellow: (Not that I'm not still delighted with my own silver pine mica!)

I found that to be the case with my old Camry V6. It was much easier to cruise around up near 80 MPH with that car. The Prius really encouraged me to adoped a more relaxed (and, honestly, safer) driving style.

16. Blue Hoosier

Blue Hoosier New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(alg @ Sep 7 2007, 01:38 PM) [snapback]508642[/snapback]</div>
    Congratulations on your new car. My car in the same color will be coming in around September 20. I already have appointments to have 3M put on the front and the windows tinted. The color looks beautiful...I can't wait!!

17. thewuch

thewuch Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boo @ Sep 7 2007, 02:30 AM) [snapback]508433[/snapback]</div>
    I bought the extended warranty a week ago (when I got my car) and now I'm on this site - seeing the warranty so much cheaper - I'm thinking I need to get out of that purchase, but I don't know that I can trust this site.....any thoughts?

18. Miss_Taz

Miss_Taz New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wiiprii @ Sep 7 2007, 01:51 PM) [snapback]508646[/snapback]</div>
    Can you post a pic of the 2007 squared off buttons? I'd like to see the difference.

I've had both an 05 and 06, with the 05 having the older software (overrideable nav) and the 06 having the new software (can't override).

But my 06 has the rounded buttons like the pic of his 08... So my guess is that the new 08's can't override either...?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lori @ Sep 7 2007, 03:58 PM) [snapback]508713[/snapback]</div>
    You can absolutely trust Troy (who gets us this great deal). MANY of us have bought the warranty from him with no problems!

B)

19. pingman

pingman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wiiprii @ Sep 7 2007, 12:51 PM) [snapback]508646[/snapback]</div>
    2008 MFD is EXACTLY the same as 2007 :blink:

20. wiiprii

wiiprii New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pingman @ Sep 7 2007, 03:32 PM) [snapback]508765[/snapback]</div>
    OK, I guess the MFD display can have round buttons or square buttons. I was under the impression that the newer Prius MFD displays had the square-style touchscreen buttons.

Can this be changed in some preference somewhere? I'm just curious why there are two styles.