1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

08 Touring Model

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by eclipse3g, Apr 25, 2008.

1. eclipse3g

eclipse3g Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Finally did it, just got an 08 Touring Model, except for the dealer attempting to sell all kinds of protection plans (which I declined to purchase). Now the fun begins on learning what type of driving gets the best mileage.

I've heard 2 options, (1) briskly up to speed then back off, or (2) crawl up to speed attempting attempting to stay on battery mode. Vehicle will have a mix of freeway and city driving, also a lot of 2 lane country roads.

2. charansr

charansr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Welcome to the Touring Club! I bet you are going to love your new ride!

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You want to minimize use of the battery. Energy conversions (electrical <-> kinetic <-> chemical <-> thermal) always have losses, and batteries are especially bad.

4. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    indeed congrats and enjoy knowing your touring is superior to all those who drive a prius

5. Austin50mpg

Austin50mpg Prius Driving Right Winger

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have tried both ways on two different tanks of gas. I noted a 0.5 MPG difference favoring the slow crawl. The 0.5 MPG could have been from less wind that week or a butterfly flapping his wings in China.

The only thing the slow crawl does is piss off the people behind you. If there is no one behind me I sometimes still do the slow crawl just see the MFD bar on 100 MPG.

I think after my next fill up I am going to drive the Prius like I stole it (or what they consider normal in my area). Afterwards I am going to post the MPG's to a new thread. I think others have done similar things on PC, but I would like to see my MPG average after "normal" driving.

6. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I suggest turning off the mpg screen while driving normal to make the study unbiased

7. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    What color did you get? Plan on posting any pictures?

8. Austin50mpg

Austin50mpg Prius Driving Right Winger

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Good idea. I will turn off the MFD so I won't cheat. :spy:

9. ginadee

ginadee New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I was qouted 27000.00 for a 08 124c prius sedan #6 plus 2225.00 0 deductable 7yr/100ml ex-war
    it turns out not to have my fav choice leather inside and I am considering the touring which I was not told about--suppose to go sign friday 1000 on cr card to hold only current pruis have in stock but time is not my concern I could wait the 3 to six weeks to get fav's on everything.

Could use all the advise
    thanks ginadee

10. rwhoyle

rwhoyle Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ginadee,

I would spec out the color and package trim you want, place a deposit with the Dealer and wait for the car you want instead of buying one with the wrong color or trim or interior. You don't want to spend $27k for a new car and not have it the way you want it!!!! I would also recommend the Touring model as it will give you a firmer ride, better handling and feel for the road. The standard Prii has a softer suspension and not as much handling response as the Touring. If you can, test drive both and decide which you prefer, then go for it !!!