1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

08527-47030 Foot Lamp Lighting Kit Installation

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base Articles Discussion' started by ChuckL, Nov 26, 2005.

1. ChuckL

ChuckL Junior Member

Quick pictorial installation instructions, original translated instruction manual, and original translated owners giude for this Foot Lamp Lighting Kit available from Sigma Automotive and Japanparts.com web sites.

A special thank you to Edward from Sigma Automotive who helped me procure this kit (along with many other parts).

-------

Notes:

(1) The instructions included with the kit are entirely in Japanese and will be translated and uploaded to this post at a later date. They are not included in the attachment at this time.

(2) Approximate Kit Installation Time = 45 Minutes

(3) Target vehicle is a 2004 model year Prius.

(4) As designed and shipped, this JDM Accessory Kit is for courtesy light illumination only. There are only three leads for the kit wiring harness and the kit is essentially a tap into the 12V+ (Pin 5), CTSY (Pin 2), and GND (Pin 1). You could (in theory) cut the CTSY lead of the accessory kit and tap it into the output of the dash illumination rheostat in the same fashion the EV Switch illumination is done. That way, when the dash lights are on, these will glow also. You could also get even fancier and with a couple of diodes, wire it up to preserve the original courtesy illumination feature while also having it operate when the dash lights are on.

(5) The lights are miniature incandescent green ones and they're socketed so you can in theory replace them with ones of other colors or possibly LED's.

(6) Change Log:
    12/07/2005 - Updated QuickInstall to V1.01 (57 downloads of V1.00)
    12/09/2005 - Added translated Owners Guide
    12/14/2005 - Added translated Installation Guide

Attached Files:

2. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

So I know what you did on your day off. Looks like something I could do. But I would want blue lights. Once you get those fancy mirrors mounted you will have the most pimped out Prius around here. Lookin' good!

PS: Do I understand this correctly? These lights only come on with the door switches? You can't drive with them on? That might be annoying though.

3. ChuckL

ChuckL Junior Member

Thanks for the compliment and reading the post! This is really something that I think anyone with general mechanical knowledge and comfortable pulling a few dash panels off could do. If you decide to purchase a kit, I'm just down the road if you need help.

I have not translated the instuction booklets yet and there are two of them (9 pages installation, 4 pages kit operation and description) so I am not sure if there are any optional configurable operating modes. Drawings in them do not lead me to think so. They'll be uploaded to the orinal post when done along with any new information.

It looks as designed and shipped, this JDM Accessory Kit is for courtesy light illumination only. There's only three leads for the kit wiring harness and it is essentially a tap into the 12V+ (Pin 5), CTSY (Pin 2), and GND (Pin 1). You could (in theory) cut the CTSY lead of the accessory kit and tap it into the output of the dash illumination rheostat in the same fashion the EV Switch illumination is done. That way, when the dash lights are on, these will glow also. You could also get even fancier and with a couple of diodes, wire it up to preserve the original courtesy illumination feature while also having it operate when the dash lights are on.

The lights are miniature incandescent green ones and they're socketed so you can in theory replace them with ones of other colors or possibly LED's. If you kept it on all the time, the life of the incandescent bulbs would probably be reduced.

At least in the US, Scion markets a kit for their xA model which advertises LED light bars in blue, amber, green, or red. The blurb on the kit says it comes with two cup holder LED lights and two LED light bars. I'm not sure if they glow all the time at night but given the cup holder illumination feature, they probably do. This kit could probably be adapted to the Prius fairly easily. It might be something for further investigation down the road.

I've enclosed a picture from the xA catalog which is probably available at any Toyota dealer parts department. If someone gets this kit, I'd be interested to find out more about it.

Attached Files: