1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

09 Changes?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by bnaccs, Apr 6, 2008.

1. bnaccs

bnaccs bnaccs

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What are going to be the changes for 09 on the Prius? I also was wondering if there is any talk of a Matrix hybrid?

2. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Guaranteed change you will find on the 09:

It will cost more!

3. Alabama

Alabama New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    seriously how much more do you all think it will cost? I was just sitting here thinking trying to figure it out, because I'm going to get myself a Prius, Let's think together how much did a Prius cost in 2001 then how much have they increased up till today. Can you even use that as a guideline to figure out somewhat of a trend to take a guess at this year's increase?

4. Eng2Mtr

Eng2Mtr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    As for the cost of a 2008 Prius, I just got what I thought was an excellent deal of only a couple hundred dollars over invoice price as seen on Edmunds, Carpoint, etc. I had a very low relative value trade-in that may have complicated things, but I think I ended up just ~200 over invoice. With the economy now, dealerships may be very eager to "deal."

5. Spectra

Spectra Amphi-Prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    At least here in NJ, Toyota is already selling "2009" Camrys. In April, 2008. And they're the same as '08's.

So, regarding insurance costs, re-sale values, etc --
    • What does this mean for the perception 'out there,' of what is a "genuine" 2009 car (sold from 10/08 - 9/09) -- vs. --
    • A "promotional" 2009, sold now, to make the buyers think that they are cruising into the future, or some kindabogus-baloney ...?...

6. malli52

malli52 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Spoke to a Toyota Fleet Manager who said no one knows what the '09 changes will be, but he's heard from an inside Toyota source that there will be solar panels. For the battery, I guess?

7. Stefx

Stefx Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Solar panel?

Somehow I feel that would be one very low improvement

At a hardware store I saw a mid-size solar panel that would fit on a typical car roof. That panel's spec was 12 watts under full mid-day sun.

at ten cents per kilo-watt hour it would take 83 hours of full sun exposure (160 hours of daylight if we assume an average of 6 watts) to generate ten cents of savings.

I hope they're working on better value-added features than a solar panel (snow traction issues, cabin heating issues, fuel tank bladder, telescopic steering wheel, adjustable seats, etc).

8. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The only thing a solar panel would be good for would be to power a fan when it's hot out to keep cabin temps more reasonable and lessen the load on the AC. I guess if there is extra juice available it could trickle charge the battery, too, but to do anything significant you'd need a large panel which would be expensive.

9. Bear68

Bear68 Member

Actually, a solar panel designed to trickle charge the 12v aux battery would be a worthwhile addition in my opinion. The 12v batt is one of the few weak links in Prius.

10. dallas27

dallas27 Love my Jeep

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If they can do what these guys did, only slightly better integrated, I think it would be a great optional upgrade.

Solar Electrical Vehicles