1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

09 Prius 59,000 miles battery dies daily

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Renetx3, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Renetx3

Renetx3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 09 Prius, I bought uaed in Dec 2017, It now has 59,000 miles on it. In May 2018, my children and I were evicted and had no choice but to live in the car for 2 months, May -July, summer in Southeast Texas. So, we pretty much had to run the car for many hours at a time for the A/C, especially at night when we slept. Now, about 8 months later, its gotten to where we have to jump the battery everyday to start the car. Ive also noticed that many times when I pull the fob out and go to exit car, it is still dinging like the fob is still in? I know nothing about what kind of battery I would have to buy, or if its the battety itself with the problem. Other threads ive read, seem to be saying that my car has alot more miles to go before needing a new battery, and ive seen that I would need a certain brand of 12v battery, and only a mechanic would be able to change it out? I need to know what my options really are, especially as a very low income single mom, not as someone who can afford the best options for car parts.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    you need a new 12 volt battery. this is very different from the hybrid drive battery which helps to propel the car, runs the a/c and other functions.

most any auto parts store should have the correct battery for $150. - $200., and some will install for free, but don't take their word over the phone, because sometimes when they find out it is a prius, they won't install it.
    it is a fairly simple install, look for youtube video's.

all the best with your situation!

3. Renetx3

Renetx3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

So, I dont need a specific Toyota only 12v battery? I could get one at like Walmart? But before I were to spend that kind of money, is there any way to tell if it is the battery itself thats bad, or possibly something draining it, like the dinging that sometimes stays on, even after pulling out the key?

4. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The Prius battery is more expensive than a traditional vehicle battery, b/c it is an AGM (Absorbed Glass Matt) battery, with a unique size and terminal posts. HOWEVER, these 12V batteries seem to last a lot longer than a traditional vehicle battery, so it comes out cheaper for most Prius owners.

PepBoys will most likely be your best bet to get a replacement 12V AGM battery. $146.24 + $12 additional battery install time = $158.24 + tax. $146.24 + tax if you can DIY.

If you want to make the 12V last as long as possible, DON'T listen to the radio for prolonged periods in ACC mode (foot off brake, POWER button pressed once), and definitely don't listen in IG-ON (foot off brake, POWER button pressed twice). Best to listen in READY mode, assuming the vehicle is NOT in an enclosed space (garage).

People not familiar w/ the Prius easily confuse the two batteries. 12V battery and HV (High Voltage)/Hybrid Battery. 12V seem to last 4-7 years; some people go longer out of a desire to get every cent out of this battery. If the 12V battery experienced a discharge event(s), this will shorten the battery's life. If you don't drive enough (distance or sitting in traffic) this could lead to a discharged 12V battery. The HV battery lasts 8-10 years for MOST people; some get less, some get more.

I hope you paid for a CarFax report for you car. A 2009 w/ only 59,000 miles is suspect to me. Lots of flood damaged cars or salvage titled vehicles. Or people installing a combo meter with a lower mileage odometer.

5. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Pep Boys is generally cheaper online than in person. Online, they have a perpetual sale or coupon. So order online, and go to the store. Free installation generally. Most public libraries have free computer use.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    most auto parts stores will test the battery for free with a load tester