1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

09 steering feels jittery/shaky

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by qmtran, Sep 20, 2009.

1. qmtran

qmtran Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    So anywhere around 50 to 60 mph the feeling of my steering/car gets a bit nervious/jittery, and really so on road surfaces that are not perfect. Does anyone have this symptom as well or is it just me? I purchased the car new, and it how has about 8,000 miles on her. It comes and goes but I never took it back to the dealer.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'd say that your observation is fairly typical and normal...

The Prius has relatively light steering. If your front suspension needs alignment or if your tires are worn then the handling feel will get worse.

Another issue is that some owners may turn the steering wheel more than needed to compensate for road changes, which exacerbates the feeling of not being in control.

3. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Gmtran,

You probably need an alignment. The front wheel toe-in tolerance on a Prius allows slightly negative settings. Have them set it positive, buy within spec. The other issue is the rear wheel toe-in which there is not an adjustment provided. So, getting it right requires shims. Somebody on here will tell you what shim thickness to make for your readings.

My car had very sedate steering even at 70 with lots of wind and high speed semis at 15 deg F when I drove it home 384 miles. Although the wind was steady, and the angle to the car was varying depending on the road I was on.

If the problem occurs due to cross-wind gusting, only, then you are going to want to get a chassis brace like the BT Tech plate. My car was all over the lane with 40 mph gusts at 65 mph. Until I put the BT Tech plate on. I did testing where I held the steering wheel perfectly aligned with the car during a gust, and the movement during the gust was large. Due to the time delay and long period of the car's motion in response to a side-gust, its difficult to counter with the steering, and indeed, as Paul has indicated can make things worse. With the BT Tech plate, this all changes, and one can counter steer to keep the car easily on track.