1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

09 Touring Tire replacements

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SC49, Feb 2, 2011.

1. SC49

SC49 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    V
    New to site and need new tires for a 2009 Touring (195/55R16), stock tires only lasted 28K. Any recommendations for a no snow area in CA? Thanks!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1 person likes this.
  3. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ummm who measured your tread? Get it measured by 1 or 2 other ppl. Tire tread is very subjective and I seriously doubt you need new tires at <30k miles.

At 15k miles, the dealer said my tread was 5/32", at 20k miles Firestone said my tread was 8/32", and at 25k miles the dealer said I'm at 6/32".

1 person likes this.
  4. SC49

SC49 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks. Did you see any change in MPG with the EP100s?

5. SC49

SC49 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Tread was measured by our local Toyota dealer, and although they don't sell tires, recommended I replace mine soon and get a new alignment. Good thought on getting them looked at/measured by another place. Thanks!

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Some new tires have higher rolling resistance so mpg declines for a while. This was not a problem with the Ecopia tires, mpg was in low 50's in the fall and now in the high 40's during the winter.

1 person likes this.
  7. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I see. "Recommended" is the key word. Dealers recommend a lot of things all the time. In fact they might be desensitized to the fact that these things actually cost us, customers, money.

You can usually tell when you need new tires, they will feel and look pretty bald when you run your fingers across them.

For me it's weird to get new tires unless I've hit a nail, damaged a sidewall, or they're noticibly bald, etc. Anyways a tire place, another dealer, or perhaps just a different service tech will tell you if you really need a new set. I also suggest you do the penny trick yourself. Tires are not cheap and you don't want to go cheap on tires either, so yeah, its worth a second opinion.

1 person likes this.
  8. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  9. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey guys, guess what! For my 30k mile inspection, they marked my tread as 8/32." I guess tire treads grow over time!

I literally have proof that these Toyota techs are idiots! (In case you were on the fence with them) LOL.

10. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I second Patrick's recommendations. The EP100 is a great tire at a great price. The only comparable tire in that price range is the Goodyear Fuel Max. If you can wait for a bit, Costco and Tire Rack regularly have sales on the Bridgestone and Michelin tires. It's usually a $70 rebate. That is like 1 free tire. :)

11. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Model: 17518
    Item #: 340019

• Summer Touring Original Equipment MICHELIN® Energy™ Saver tires are designed as original equipment on European touring sedans.
    See full details below.

$174.42
    Special Order

Pick up in club (#6361)

OR

Learn More

Add these items to a list?
    Choose a list ... LogIn

GET ALL THE DETAILS #blankDays { position: relative; top: -75px; left: 256px; }

Description

Luxury Performance Touring Summer Tires

Features and Benefits:
    • Go Farther with Each Tank of Gas
    • EnergySaver Construction™ helps deliver excellent fuel efficiency by requiring less effort from your engine Up to 10 feet Shorter Stopping in Wet Conditions*
    • The Durable Security Compound improves wet braking, not only when the tire is new, but also when it is worn Eco-friendly, MICHELIN® Green-X® tire
    • Michelin's promise that you receive a level of energy efficiency among the highest in the market and reduce CO2 emissions while maintaining all the legendary Michelin advantages of long wear, safety and other performances

[​IMG]

Specifications

• Tire Size: 195/55R16
    • Service Description: 87V
    • Sidewall: BSW Black Sidewall
    • Material Number or MSPN: 17518
    • Rim Width (min. to max.): 5.5 - 7.0
    • Section Width: 7.9 on 6.0
    • Overall Diameter: 24.4
    • Tread Depth (32nds): 9.5
    • RPM: 852
    • Max Load: 1201@51