1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1,000 miles already! 3 weeks new

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by MNPrius, Nov 7, 2005.

1. MNPrius

MNPrius New Member

Ok - it's not even been 3 weeks and I have 1,000 miles already. :eek:
    Averaging 42.2 MPG - which I don't think is bad, because I drive like a girl :rolleyes:
    seems like a lot of miles though.... <_<

2. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

Another happy customer. When you say you drive like a girl does that mean you press the gass pedal as far as it goes and hit the breaks at 20 feet from stopping target? Change lanes without looking to see if it's all clear? Apply makeup at red lights and get so embarassed when you realize the light couldn't get any greener that you gun it to get up to speed as fast as the car will go (with your middle finger out the window at anyone who might have honked at you even though you don't know for sure because the tunes are so loud)? Always talking on your rinestone studded cell phone and rocking out to your tunes like you were in a night club and all eyes are on you? I hope you don't cry when you get pulled over by the poh-lice.

J/K :D

3,500 miles here after driving her home Aug. 30th

3. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm just about at 5000 miles in about 9 weeks. 1000 miles in 3 is nothing :)

But, if it seems like a lot to you, are you perhaps driving more simply because you have the Prius or is this normal for you?

4. MNPrius

MNPrius New Member

aka - too funny !! :D none of those "delightful" things - I just know I'm a bit behind the curve of everyone tweaking their MPG here.

Maytrix, now I don't feel so bad. Actually we do drive a lot (hockey) but it's just the fact that it's "new", yet I've already rolled into quadruple digits!

5. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm @ 10,000 miles on exactly 4 months. I expect to put 36,000 anually like my previous car. Gotta love the California highway system!

Now 42.2mpg is not as great as you would like it to be, but remember that the WINTER gas will yield lower mpg compared to SUMMER gas formula. In other words, expect your mpg to suffer for the next 5 months and it will get better....perhaps to the mid 50s!

6. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Strange. I am currently experiencing my best tank by far (OK, 8%). The MFD is reading 57.5 with about 450 miles since my last fill up. I do not see any evidence of the adverse affects of winter gas.

7. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

NICE!!! I couldn't have said it better myself! B)

8. BrianTheDog

BrianTheDog New Member

1,300 miles in two weeks here. On my third tank, now at 48.3MPG, up from 42.4 on the first tank (reset consumption at each fill-up). Getting better at feathering the accelerator. Also mild temps still here in the southeast. Hope it stays that way.....

:unsure:

9. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is getting competetive.....I did 5200 the first week I had mine.

10. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    Whoa Boxster! I though I had the record cinched at 4,100 miles after a week and a couple days!

These other guys oughta get off the PC, get out, and drive their Prius a little more.

:)

11. Schmika

Schmika New Member

About 5 months, 11,500 miles. My other two cars get lonely.

12. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I assume CA doesn't have excise tax? My reason for waiting until Sept 1st was so I wouldn't get hit with the excise for August as well. I don't think excise tax is in most other states though.

13. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Just a couple of curious questions? How many of you are driving more because you have your Prius? If so, how much more? If you are driving twice as much, aren't you really defeating the purpose of getting a Prius in the first place? I am assuming that most of you made your purchase to save at the pump and minimize the fossil fuels effect on the earth. Just looking for some feedback on here, after pointing that out to a Prius owner I know in person.

14. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

I drive about the same. My work commute and occasional weekend gateways. Had about 373000 on my '94 Corolla. I've got 9873 miles on my Prius after 4 months.

15. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have had my Prius two months and have 5000 miles on it. This is a bit over twice as much as I normally drive. But I always do that when I buy a new car, and I usually keep cars for several years so two or three months of high mileage when they are new don't amount to much. Plus this car gets almost 20 mpg more than my V6 Accord did and runs cleaner. So I think what I'm doing is OK. Is that a good rationalization or what?

16. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Personally, I didn't drive more. Like maggieddd, just my normal commute.

17. BrianTheDog

BrianTheDog New Member

I'm driving mine a bit more than usual, but that's because I'm travelling to nearby cities to show off the car to family & friends. That'll taper off soon enough.....

I use mine for work, about 400 miles/week. Got it to save money on gas and help the environment (not just fossil fuel use, but also far fewer emissions). I've retired my '93 Ford Probe GT, which chugged gas like a SUV. Imagine how much we'd help the environment if everyone in my line of work were to drive a Prius.....

18. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Did you post in the "sleep in your Prius" poll/forum? :blink:

Do you sleep while you drive? :eek:

700+ per DAY?
    :ph34r:

19. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I drive exactly the same mileage as before in my Civic, and do wish I could drive less.

But all-in-all, people should beware of not becoming part of the Jevon's Paradox statistics.

20. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

I drive a little less now and trying to cut back by combining multiple tasks into one trip. I have made 1 long unecessary trip though. I have also worked some O.T. on the weekends a few times recently (but that made me more money right?). I know I'm saving money from my gas card payment dropping about $100/month (includes not buying Monster Energy drinks on the card).