1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1.3 kW or higher, 12 VDC inverter

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by bwilson4web, Jun 19, 2009.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    In May, we had 2.25 hours supported by my 1 kW, modified sine wave inverter on the 03 Prius. This evening, we're looking at 4 hours in mid-80s. The 1 kW inverter is powering a fan, the TV, and lights but we've upgraded the window AC and it needs a little more power.

It looks like the ZVW30, the 2010 Prius, may have more 12 VDC power and probably support 1.5 kW. The fusible link appears to be rated at 125 A. so we should be able to run 1.3 kW with a surge to 1.5 kW. I'll probably replace the OEM battery with an Odyssey and the problem is solved. I might even put one of those boom-box, capacitors, just to help deal with motor startup surge.

Bob Wilson

2. OZ132

OZ132 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Where do you hook it up, to keep from blowing a fuse???

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Where is the fusable link located in the GenII? I'm curious because one day I have a feeling I'll burn it up with my stereo. :)

4. MrK(2)

MrK(2) Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Bob, where in the circuit, do you put the boom-box capacitor; on the 12-Vdc side, or on the 120 Vac side?

You and I had communicated previously about start-up loads, and my HV system eliminated that problem, but I would still like the flexibility on my "other" systems to have the extra Oomph available to start my sump pump, which won't start on my 1,500 watt modified sine wave inverter. Would a large capacitor do the trick? How large?

5. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If it acts like the Gen II... then you'll be able to power whatever you like till the battery goes to low to support the extra current.. then the car will begin to "blink".. everything starts turning on and off because the voltage drops too low from too much amps being pulled.

i think somewhere around 800 to 1000 watts really is the max a gen II can power. min trips from low voltage around 850 to 900 watts usually....

6. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    btw.. you may need a larger battery to support the extra amp draw. a capacitor may help.. but i think it needs a place to pull the amps from.. the capacitor is really just a buffer for short blips.

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It would have to be on the 12v side. The car audio capacitors are based on 12v systems and most decent ones are only rated up to 20v. The newer style hybrid capacitors can be as high as 30uf.

Stinger Electronics - Product Details

8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The fusible link is there to protect the wiring so I'll probably hook the inverter directly to the battery terminals.

There are some tricky aspects to this design that start with understanding the actual 12 VDC charging circuit capacity from the ZVW30. I need to understand the current limit from the 12 VDC supply.

What I'll have to do is Thevenize the circuit only without using a short, to figure out the internal resistance of the source. Then using that value and internal resistance of the Odyssey battery and capacity, see if there is enough to handle a surge without bringing the 12 VDC voltage too low.

This is one of those cases where I may consider putting in a fast acting, current limiting system. The idea being it is better to keep the car 12 VDC battery at a good level and let the inverter go into 'under voltage' protection mode.

I ran some calculations on using a high value capacitor and the availble Joules in the range needed is not enough if directly connected. When you start sketching out the buck-boost circuit to make full use of the capacitor, the costs soon go ballistic. Still, it remains an option.

What I need to do is go back and measure some motor starting loads, their duration and quantity. Then I can use those numbers to calculate what I'll need. ... fun stuff!

Bob Wilson

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm able to draw a full 1 kW from the NHW11 but that pretty much is the limit. I have another 1 kW inverter I can use for some preliminary tests with the ZVW30.

Bob Wilson