1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

$1,836 repair at my local dealer!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sa91899, Apr 20, 2017.

1. sa91899

sa91899 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello community,

As most people here I can have come looking for advice...

About three weeks ago my wife and I were driving down the road and the red triangle came on with the nav screen saying "problem" followed by what looks to be a temperature icon. We were about 30 minutes away from town and I immediately turned around and came back. During that 30-minute ride the above symbols we'll come on then they would go off and then come back on a few minutes later than that go off again.

We have an AutoZone at the edge of town so I pulled in there turn the car off pop the hood and checked for coolant. The reservoir was full can I heard the typical whirring sound that it does after turning off your car. We sat there for a few minutes and then decided to just get the car home.

Skip about three days forward and the car is driving fine. That is until the check engine light came on so I stopped at the AutoZone and ask them if they could read the code.

The code that they came back with was p 1151. Which they said was the heat storage tank failure.

This sounded ominous to me of course so I went back home park the car and jumped on priuschat to check out the code and see what others have gun in this situation.

Several of the comments stated that the coolant heat storage tank is not critical Tina driving of the vehicle and should not cause any issues. The tank itself would cost $700 to replace and they felt that it was a needless repair due to the fact that it is mostly for EPA type stuff only. As a matter fact that tank is not even included in later generations because they found that it wasn't an added benefit.

So now I knew what the check engine light was about and so I continue to drive and with no issues for a few days. It was then that the red triangle and temp alarm came back.

At this point I took it into the dealership for them to check it out. The check engine light was no longer but the red triangle had me worried. So I left it there for them to check out.

They call me later that day said they couldn't reproduce the issue and to bring it back in when it was currently having the issue. Oh and by theway, my front brakes were down to the bare metal and needed to be replaced. All in all they had to replace the rotors and put new brakes on. This came to the tune of $1,600.

I took the car home and drove it for a few days with no issue. Then the red triangle came on again. So I took it straight to the dealership walked up to the service desk told him that it was going on right now but it only happens when you're going down the road you can't sit still and reproduce the air it has to be moving. The service manager told me that there master technician was on vacation and to bring it in next week which was about four days from that day.

I left there rather frustrated but parked the car for probably 3 or 4 days and the day of the appointment I was driving it around with no issue so I didn't take it in. Few days later which was yesterday I was on my way home from work and then try and go came on again along with the check engine light at same time this time.

I went straight to the dealership when I got back in town parked the Prius handed the service manager the key fob and told him I'm leaving it here until you tell me what's wrong with the car.

I told him this whole story including researching here on priuschat that the error code I received was p1151 coolant heat storage tank and that it was advised on here that it was not a required feature for the car to drive correctly.

He just called me back about an hour ago and said " hey I found out what's causing the problem. It's the coolant heat storage tank. It needs to be replaced. You're only going to do further damage to the vehicle by driving it this way. Run you $1,836 to get it fixed. If we order the part and the next 2 minutes I can have it here tomorrow and get it fixed for you."

I told him that that was the very thing that I told him when I brought in the vehicle and that it was not an essential part of running the vehicle to which I was greeted with crickets. I told him that I was not going to make a decision today and that I would be in to pick up the vehicle tomorrow and pay him whatever it cost to have the vehicle looked at today.

What I need to know from you here in this community IS F what I had read on here previously is true that the heat storage tank is not essential for driving and if so why is the red triangle coming on?

If I do this repair that will be over $3,400 that I have put into a vehicle that has a hundred and ninety-five thousand miles on it. My concern is that replacing the heat storage tank will fix the check engine light but after that is fixed we will still have the red triangle problem and have to get more work done rather than them troubleshooting and finding out what the red triangle issue is they are just going on the check engine light. Could the two be related to just the heat coolant Heat storage tank or is it most likely as I think two separate problems that they are only focusing on the check engine light and we'll hit me with another charge after that fixed when the red triangle comes back on again...

This is just too frustrating!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't know about $1600 for brake service.....ouch. I would've thought twice about that one.

As for the heat recovery tank, maybe you can give the dealer a used part off of Ebay?

3. sa91899

sa91899 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the $1600 for the brakes and rotors was only the 3rd repair I have had to do in 195,000 Miles so I wasn't too deep into it but now a total of $3400 (If I have them replace the heat storage tank) in a month and a half and I'm starting to question everything...

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's only going to get more expensive from now on. The car was designed to go about 180000 trouble free miles

The heat storage tank is not a common failure for the prius

SM-N900P ?

#4 JC91006, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    edthefox5 likes this.
  5. timmyjane

timmyjane Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is that a hard part to replace? There are a lot of Priuises (what the plural form Prius) in the junk yard and folks that you can pay to pull the part if its not something that you want or can do yourself. A quick search showed some on eBay for $90. Get that part and then take it to a local mechanic. At 200k miles no need for dealer service anymore.
    Our Sequoia was due for a timing belt and Toyota wanted something like $1500. I bought the parts on the internet and went to a local mechanic. Total all in cost was ~$700.

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It was deleted in European model Prius. I wonder why no one has bypassed there's here? It may constantly throw a code with the pump disconnected I bet but the cooling system won't care.

timmyjane likes this.
  7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you have an old Prius, need repairs, and are cost-conscious, then dealer service is not going to be for you. The $1,600 bill for front brake rotors and pads is proof of that statement, if you still needed proof.

Regarding your current problem, the coolant heat recovery tank is not required for the car to drive safely. However the engine emissions system is impaired by that tank not working, so the check engine light and the master warning light are going to be on. That is not the end of the world, as long as you monitor the logged DTC periodically to make sure that no other issues exist. Failure of that tank causes no problems for the engine or any other part of the drivetrain, as long as you are sure that a low engine coolant level is not part of the problem (check the level in the radiator, not just in the overflow tank.)

As others suggested, you could buy a used coolant heat recovery tank on eBay or wherever, and have it installed. However the mechanic installing it has to know how to purge the air out of the engine coolant system and run the coolant heat recovery system pump to fill the newly installed tank. This process is not obvious for untrained personnel. (I posted a few years ago, about how to do that successfully even without access to Toyota Techstream.)

8. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I admit that reading STOPPED at $1600. Did you authorize those repairs? That is CRAZY money even for a STEALership, the parts run about $200 Tax and shipping included ( Genuine OEM FRONT BRAKES Parts for 2005 Toyota Prius Base - Olathe Toyota Parts Center ) and labor of 2 hours, TOPS.

Crooks!

Sandollars and timmyjane like this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A wee bit of extra diagnostics, regarding the error you reported, but it doesn't sound like they did much. So yes: $1600 to replace front pads and rotors, that's way too much. $400 would be generous amount. I would scan the invoice and forward to Toyota, see what they think.

timmyjane and William Redoubt like this.
  10. sa91899

sa91899 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks guys/gals!

Yeah I have pretty much resolved myself that I will not be using this dealership any more...

As jc91006 said, this isn't a typical Prius failure so I think I should be able to get a decent used replacement and I was able to find a coolant heating tank for about $50 at car - parts website

Thanks Patrick Wong for the info and I will try to look up your procedure on purging the air out of the system because the mechanic I take my cars to said he doesn't work on hybrids. He did some minor stuff on my Prius but since the cooling system is tied into the hybrid portion, he won't work on it. Says it's too much of a hassle for him... HA! At least I appreciate his honesty... lol

So, I may pursue fixing this myself or I may not do anything and just check the DTC codes at autozone every week.

I really don't want to spend a couple hundred dollars on a reader if I can help it.

Mendel Leisk, good idea on sending a copy of the break job invoice to Toyota for them to look over...

bisco and Mendel Leisk like this.
  11. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you're going to pursue DIY, you really should invest in the Mini VCI cable, under $20. And find an old 32-bit laptop to run it on. If you or a friend doesn't have one as a doorstop somewhere, you should be able to get one on Craigslist for around $50. That will allow you to more easily purge the coolant system, and it will give you the same diagnostic and test capabilities as the dealer.

And I have a decent scanner I keep in the car that cost about $15, on sale somewhere. No need to spend hundreds.

Don't neglect what Patrick put in bold--check the coolant level in the radiator, not the reservoir. To do this, you'll need to remove the upper splash shield (six pesky little plastic fasteners). System must be COLD.

Respect your mechanic's honesty, but not necessarily his knowledge. The cooling system is not tied into the hybrid system at all. The tank you're talking about is a non-essential emissions device, not hybrid. (I suspect there's no way to bypass it and still be able to pass any emissions test.)

12. timmyjane

timmyjane Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can run TechStream on modern computers now. I have Win 10.

13. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup, but NOT the most current versions, those require a license key.

14. timmyjane

timmyjane Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Can the most current versions be run on an old computer?

15. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As far as I know, yes. I have V10.x.x.x and it's on an OLD IBM running XP.

16. timmyjane

timmyjane Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh I see. Im on v8.10.xxxxxx
    Probably need to look into updating.

17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I wonder, if Toyota unlocked techstream, would it have ANY impact on their bottom line? Or, if they issued a "use at your own risk" disclaimer, would there be any legal ramifications?

Just thinking aloud.

18. timmyjane

timmyjane Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I doubt it would much. Anyone that wants to use it already has most of the access they need. I do have an appointment on Friday to have some updates done. I am chasing a bad fuel economy problem and TS shows 7 calibrations that are due. Since I cant do these myself Im going to a shop. Not the dealer but I am having to pay someone who pays for access. So I guess maybe a little.

19. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No need really, if the Prius is your only Toyota.

20. biglew8

biglew8 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What are the 7?